IGNORED

Diablo III console

ianoid

This arrived from Amazon a day early from release. Neat.

I played a bit with my 9 & 11 year old. Not sure what gives it the M rating, hopefully we won't find out.

We had a blast. Great couch co-op. It's pretty much the hack n slash I've been dreaming of since Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance/Champions of Norrath.

PC purists, please refrain from your negativity and platform angst.

Anyone got this going on consoles?

• Like 1

I really want to try this version as I thought the PC version was pretty good (shallow and short, but that's Diablo for you). But I just can't bring myself to pay $60 for another version of a game I already have. Hopefully it will come down in price eventually.

So what's the biggest change? There's no doubt in my mind that it's the complete removal of online DRM and the Auction House (in any form -- in-game gold or real money). This is not only a win for consumer rights from an industry standpoint, but it also mechanically strengthens the game. Loot is much better in the console version since people can't just pick up the best pieces on the Auction house, and it's a feeling that's fairly evident sooner rather than later.

This is the Diablo III me and cousins wanted but didn't get. The loot drops were pretty crappy and you had to spend gold (real or otherwise) to get anything great.

Picked it up yesterday and it was solid. Graphics are great and the gameplay is classic Diablo. The menu system is a little annoying with the "circle wheel" for items but its extremely easy to pick up and play. I love the fact that you can customize the display like displaying health bars for monsters or re-assigning buttons on the controller. Controls are precise and accurate. Pretty AMAZING job for a PC port.

We will be playing this game for a looooong time which probably makes the 60 dollar price tag worth it.

LAN play is included which is also a nice bonus. Haven't played online yet almost completely local co-op as a Barbarian and Witch Doc.

We had a blast. Great couch co-op. It's pretty much the hack n slash I've been dreaming of since Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance/Champions of Norrath.

Ok. You had me at Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. My wife and I played the heck out of those games, along with D&D Heroes. If this is how this new Diablo plays, I'm in like Flynn.

I played the PS3 demo and the only thing I thought was annoying is you can't rotate the camera like you can in most PS2 hack n slash RPGs. I never played the PC version because of the online only DRM crap, but I don't know if you can rotate the camera in that or not. The action isn't any better or worse than Untold Legends Dark Kingdom or Dungeon Hunter Alliance so it feels like just another one of those. I still preferred Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath but I am also just glad that they are still making games of this style. This kind of game is addictive.

I would play the Diablo III Xbox demo but you've got to have a gold account to get it (makes so much sense, y'know, since they don't want to sell copies of their game to additional people by making the demo available to them or anything...:P) and I don't even want one. But this thread got me to pop in some Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. I hadn't actually played this on the 360 before since I've still got an original Xbox... sure looks sweet in 720p. :)

• Like 1

This game seems MASSIVE.

Been playing this game every day this past week up to level 16 and we are still only on act 1 on normal. I haven't been looking at spoilers but it seems this can take around 30 or 40 hours without completing everything in it. It's official, this game is totally worth it and blows away any hack n' slash on consoles including Torchlight 1 (mainly because of multiplayer).

Very impressed.

Anyone holding back for a price drop it will be more than worth the wait.

I haven't had this much fun on console hack n slash since Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

Anyone holding back for a price drop it will be more than worth the wait.

I haven't had this much fun on console hack n slash since Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance.

Dammit chimerians, My "to play" pile is already HUGE enough.

Must......resist.....urge to get back into....Diablo!!!

Is there a Collectors Edition?

Dammit chimerians, My "to play" pile is already HUGE enough.

Must......resist.....urge to get back into....Diablo!!!

Is there a Collectors Edition?

There was on PC....but stay away from that version heh

Up to level 18 now and just finished Act 1. Pretty fun crazy-disturbing stuff. If you play solo there are some NPC's that can be hired to come with you to help out but playing multiplayer is a blast. I'm doing local co-op and fighting over the loot can be a problem. lol. I think online multiplayer everyone picks up there own just like Torchlight.

Its still a bit pricey but the sheer amount of gaming and content make up for it. It seems there's LOTS to do.

Diablo usually has semi random maps, right? Even if that's so, what's to do after the last difficulty level? In a game like this you should be able to ramp up forever.

After I beat the 'Inferno' difficulty I shelved the game. I know some people will still log crazy hours in just to farm and have the best gear, but until the expansion comes out I just don't see a point in replaying the same levels over and over again just to have slightly better gear when you've already beaten everything.

Not to say D3 is a bad game. I know it got trashed around the 'net but I had a good time with it. The main game is actually kinda short.. it seems massive at first but each ACT is a bit shorter than the last. The first 2 ACTs have a lot to do but the 3rd ACT is probably less than half the length and then the 4th ACT is basically just Diablo's Layer. It makes you kinda wonder if they ran out of time and scaled back on the last 2 acts.. but given its lengthy development cycle that'd be kinda funny. Still, it took me a week or two to finish the first playthough (thats just playing casually). Each subsequent play will take you less time as you know exactly where to go, etc. There is some randomization but not enough to make the game feel completely different.. you'll just stumble across different 'events' from time to time but nothing major. Still I think I got 60 or so hours out of the game so I'm not complaining.. thats about as long as I want to play a single game anyway.

The loot in the PC version was rediculous. After a certain point you'll pretty much never find anything you'll actually use.. at least not going through the game without doing a lot of farming. If you do find a good piece of gear chances are it will be for another class. Everything my character has I bought from the Auction House. Now, you don't have to spend real money if you don't want to. I was able to get pretty decent stuff just with gold I picked up. Now the top 1% gear will cost you crazy amounts but i was never really too worried about winning a DPS award. As long as you are gear up to a decent level you can get through inferno (After the patches, early on Inferno was nigh impossible) so it really doesn't matter unless you are doing PvP or something.

I may pick up Diablo 3 on the PS4 once it hits $20 but I can't see paying full price for it having already beat the PC version. However, if you haven't played the PC version then I'd say the game is worth a shot. Even with it's flaws its plenty fun and you will get your moneys worth.

Late to this thread, but I will definitely say this is top contender for my game of the year, even tho its not technically a 2013 release.

There are a few improvements made for the console version, such as the Quick Equip feature & Evade that make the gameplay slightly different. The lack of Online junk is a breath of fresh air and a step in the right direction for Blizzard in general.

The game has a a ton of difficulty settings, so once you finish the game, there is definitely some incentive to ramp it up and play it again. Not to mention, the character classes. Each class is a completely different experience. Different Loot, different abilities, and different strategies.

Sounds like I am trying to squeeze a lot out a game that is just not the complex, and not story driven, but the gameplay is fun and addicting as all hell (no pun intended).

Whatever your hesitations are about trying this port, whether you're a die hard PC gamer, you've played the pc version & don't want to double dip, or you're just not sure about it.. Rent it, wait for a price drop, or just pull the trigger now, because this port is definitely worth your time to at least try it.

I really do wish there had been a Collectors edition released for this, I would have ponied up for it. There was a Strat guide they tried to sell me, but I really didn't feel like spending $20 more on something easily found on the web. Plus, D3 is such an easy game, I dunno why anyone would need a strat guide, unless of course you're trying to find all the hidden items &/or diary entries.

Its not a sandbox game, but there is most definitely the opportunity to have a lot of fun for quite a while, and the 4 player local/online co-op makes it infinitely re-playable.

/end rant.

• Like 1

I fell mostly in love after playing the demo. I'd probably still prefer Torchlight and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, but this was fun and good, and obviously had a lot to offer.

So I traded in a buncha stuff at the local used game store and pre-ordered the first used copy to come in (since I don't want Activision to get my money directly if possible, it's a personal / political thing against companies that give millions of $ every year to right-wing causes).

I'll wait to give it full judgement, but off the bat I don't think it's notably better than Torchlight, which was $20 brand new for XBLA. But perhaps it's fuller, longer. Definitely has more character classes, so there's that. Eager to have some crazy dude trade his in when he gets bored or needs the cash.

After a solid week of the game and reaching level 23 with the Witch Doctor, I'm feeling some disillusionment and general boredom with the game now. I'm really getting disenchanted with the tedium of combat and gathering useless item after useless item, and then having to go back to town to either have the blacksmith break down my items for other items, or sell the really useless stuff to a merchant for 5 bucks each. Yeah, it's REALLY fun to press 'A' a hundred times at the blacksmith shop and go through all that after every combat session.

I did kind of dig the game at first, but now I don't really feel like I'm accomplishing all that much in the game other than pressing the A button a million times. And for what end? So I can have a really bad ass character? Ok, so what does that get me? BFD! I kind of have the same feeling I got when I played Gauntlet II up to stage 112 and the game still didn't end and I quit. At the end of that 6 hours of Gauntlet II with no ending, I felt like I truly wasted 6 hours of my life. I'm kind of getting that feeling with Diablo 3. I can play a 2 hour session of Tempest 2000 on my Jaguar, bust a million points and really feel like I accomplished something and have a nice score to prove it forever.