IGNORED

Diablo III console

ianoid

After a solid week of the game and reaching level 23 with the Witch Doctor, I'm feeling some disillusionment and general boredom with the game now. I'm really getting disenchanted with the tedium of combat and gathering useless item after useless item, and then having to go back to town to either have the blacksmith break down my items for other items, or sell the really useless stuff to a merchant for 5 bucks each. Yeah, it's REALLY fun to press 'A' a hundred times at the blacksmith shop and go through all that after every combat session.

I did kind of dig the game at first, but now I don't really feel like I'm accomplishing all that much in the game other than pressing the A button a million times. And for what end? So I can have a really bad ass character? Ok, so what does that get me? BFD! I kind of have the same feeling I got when I played Gauntlet II up to stage 112 and the game still didn't end and I quit. At the end of that 6 hours of Gauntlet II with no ending, I felt like I truly wasted 6 hours of my life. I'm kind of getting that feeling with Diablo 3. I can play a 2 hour session of Tempest 2000 on my Jaguar, bust a million points and really feel like I accomplished something and have a nice score to prove it forever.

Yep this is kind of what I ran into. It was fun at first, but then it got kind of boring. The Diablo series has always been sort of a one trick pony and it really seems to show in this game. Thankfully the game is also quite short, so unless you're going to go through all the other difficulty levels you'll likely complete the game before the tedium sets in.

I have to agree..it seemed massive at first but then it quickly started to get shorter and a bit on the tedious side right around level 20-25. Mainly due to picking up useless items constantly. Still a great hack n slash for me and I really dont want this genre to die off. Probably will end up playing through all characters at some point but not alone.

They could do so much to improve these things. Lesser loot (like Diablo 1) or flagging certain colored loot for instant junking as an example. Also they should have added more puzzles into the game.

Edited by cimerians

I did kind of dig the game at first, but now I don't really feel like I'm accomplishing all that much in the game other than pressing the A button a million times. And for what end? So I can have a really bad ass character? Ok, so what does that get me? BFD! I kind of have the same feeling I got when I played Gauntlet II up to stage 112 and the game still didn't end and I quit. At the end of that 6 hours of Gauntlet II with no ending, I felt like I truly wasted 6 hours of my life. I'm kind of getting that feeling with Diablo 3. I can play a 2 hour session of Tempest 2000 on my Jaguar, bust a million points and really feel like I accomplished something and have a nice score to prove it forever.

The big draw was always the co-op mode, where can beat a boss with your friends or just wipe all in the name of fun.

My main gripes with DIII would be the crappy drop rates and the way the sets up the weapon usability. In other words, can't have a melee that uses bows unlike the other two Diablos.

I have to agree..it seemed massive at first but then it quickly started to get shorter and a bit on the tedious side right around level 20-25. Mainly due to picking up useless items constantly. Still a great hack n slash for me and I really dont want this genre to die off. Probably will end up playing through all characters at some point but not alone.

They could do so much to improve these things. Lesser loot (like Diablo 1) or flagging certain colored loot for instant junking as an example. Also they should have added more puzzles into the game.

I thought they fixed the item drops for the console version somehow to avoid all those useless items (color coding maybe? I can't remember).

I thought they fixed the item drops for the console version somehow to avoid all those useless items (color coding maybe? I can't remember).

Yeah they probably added the color coding to the console but I never played the PC version so I don't know for sure. It would help if you could simply flag a color to be autojunked upon pick up like in the game Dungeon Hunter. In that game you can specify a color and then all colors under that color. So anything blue and below would get junked.

I didn't get this game. I read the reviews and it sounded like the 1st and 2nd levels were the only ones they spent any time on.

One HUGE Diablo fan speculated they were in a rush to finish and the remaining levels suffered greatly because of it. They guy also said the hardest level (on the PC version anyways) was not just hard like the HELL difficulty in Diablo 2 which i could get through with a high level sorceress back when I did used to play. This guy was obviously a big fan of the series and listed his accomplishments all of which were impressive if true. He said the hardest difficulty was flat out impossible and described the game play which sounded really ridiculous to me. Wonder if that was tweaked on the console version.

Many other reviews expressed similar opinions. Stating the game went down hill from the initial play. I figure I'll wait for the game to drop in price. My guess is it won't be a long wait.

Yeah it was pretty deceptive for me. I was thinking really great things until I hit the later part of the game and it seemed like something happened especially the annoying loot drops.

I found some insight:

Interview with Diablo Creator David Brevik

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4lbEVDxBxR8J:diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/interview-diablo-creator-david-brevik-discusses-his-feelings-on-diablo-3+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"IncGamers: Do you think they bought the wrong people in? As we understand, Jay Wilson, for example, his background was RTS. From our point of view it looked like they misunderstood what kept people playing, The type of loot drops, which has been a big issues. One of the other issues is they have not listened to their community, and they have not analysed what makes up that addictive Diablo experience. What are your thoughts on that?

David Brevik: Well, the loot system. They made some decisions with the loot system that were very different than the way that we did it in Diablo 2 and I think that obviously the community has been upset with some of the decisions they made..........."

That seems to explain the crappy drops. In Diablo II, when you killed an act boss for the first time, there was a pretty good chance for a set or epic item even with almost zero magic find. In Diablo III, I never got a set or epic item from an act boss and I played through the lowest difficulty. I had a cousin who got to Inferno and he never got any drops higher than rare.