IGNORED

Most Underrated Game

VectorGamer

I can't name one title that is the most, but I'll give you two that I think should be considered...incidentally, both games released by Parker Bros.

Reactor

Although simplified (what 2600 games aren't?) from the arcade game (which I love), I thought overall this was an excellent port. I've played the VCS version with a trackball for a truer to arcade experience (and I think it plays better with the trackball).

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Death Star Battle

This was a cartridge that sat in my storage tub for years and didn't see any play. One day I decided to pop this cartridge in, read the instruction manual and gave it a go. I found this game to be an excellent two-stage shooter.

• Like 3

Space Attack is an incredible version of Space Battle for the Intellivision. Many people don't read the instructions so they don't know how to play it.

I also think Montezuma's Revenge is underrated. Incredible graphics and solid gameplay but rarely gets a mention.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Beamrider. Lightning quick gameplay that continues to introduce new enemies deep into the game. My alltime favorite VCS game.

Astroblast jumped way up on my list when I learned that it supports joystick controller AND paddle controller! :thumbsup:

Yep. For whatever reason, Astroblast with paddles seems to be one of the best kept secrets of retro gaming. It places the game head-and-shoulders above the Inty counterpart, IMO, and is very underrated in general as far as VCS titles go.

if I'm going specifically for under rated, I'll mention warplock and encounter at l-5. I don't think montezumas is specifically under rated, i think it's just rare and came out post crash. i LOVE reactor. currently my fave 2600 game. Space Master X-7 is still my overall fave :-) I also think quick step and entombed are hugely under rated. playing entombed deliberatly co-op is still to this day one of the most amazing co-op experiences out there :)

• Like 1

Spider Fighter

It might interest you to hear that Spider Fighter is one of this week's games in the 2600 High Score Club - so what are you waiting for?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216094-the-new-high-score-club-s2-weeks-1718-unique-week-3/

I'd like to add GI Joe Cobra Strike to the "underrated" list. An excellent and fun game in two-player co-op mode.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

SpaceChase. Is there a game with a better explosion sound?

I have very fond memories playing this as a kid and yes, the graphics and sound were quite impressive at the time. Bought it at our local Eagle grocery store, where there was a cardboard standee marketing Apollo games. If I'm remembering correctly, Data Age had a similar standee full of their stuff and bought a few of their games too. Was one of the things I looked forward to when grocery shopping with my Grandmother. :)