IGNORED

U1MB PBI issues

Stephen

I have been unable to get my SIDE1 (which I no longer have - thanks SJ) and also my SIDE2 to load ATRs. I get a "No PBI driver found" error. I am also unable to use MATR via SDX - when I try to mount an image, it just says "Error".

I have an Ultimate 1MB built by candle, and I have tried updating the ROM several times (using Jay's ROM builder). I have tried both the 0.3.4 PBI BIOS from flashjazcat's website, as well as 0.3.5 (not sure where I got that). The U1MB setup screen shows the SIDE and SIDE PBI config options. However, when I hold down the L key, all I get are repeating key clicks.

I am not sure what to try next.

Here's the one that I'm currently using.

attachicon.gifUltimate1MBv2 wOSB.rom

Contains Ultimatev2, SDX 4.46, PBI 035 and OSB in the Diagnostic slot...

Did you upgrade your cpld to v2 also with the Xilinx?

Damn - now I remember what I was supposed to do :woozy: This is the problem with only spending a few days every 6 months getting to play with this stuff.

Stephen, but it was from first batch or the second one? if the first, then you'll have to update CPLD code aswell (.jed)

It was from the first batch. I have a xilinx programmer which I bought when beta testing the Incognito. I just forgot to do the update on the ultimate, as I honestly haven't touched the machine with it for 6 months.

When updating the ultimate, do I just leave everything plugged in, and power up the machine to run the update as I did with Incognito? I seem to recall a warning on the simple stereo boards about not leaving the PoKeys in while having a programmer hooked up.

Got everything including the kitchen sink (including dual pokeys) here: no problems running the U1MB flasher.

I don't mean the flasher, I have to upgrade the CPLD code using my Xilinx programmer. When I upgraded the Incognito, the Atari 800 was powered on. I assume it is the same for upgrading the U1M - power up the system with the Xilinx connected, then run the upgrade.

Grrrr - I updated the U1M to version 2 JED from candle's site. I tried to reflash the ROM, and the program crashed after the ROM was erased. No problems - I now have a TL866CS. I put the same V2 with 0.3.5 PBI ROM on it. I now have a new issue :

• When the U1MB has SIDE w/button ON, the machine will not boot with SIDE2 cart inserted, and switch in either position. When in SIDE Loader mode, the machine does the "Atari fart", and I get a black screen with a green & blue bar at the bottom. When in SDX mode, it hangs forever at the blue screen with cursor at home.
  • When I disable SIDE in U1MB, I get the SIDE loader and SDX working fine.

Due to this, I still cannot mount ATRs. I am completely at a loss here. If videos would help, I can try to capture the various issues at boot time.

Grrrr - I updated the U1M to version 2 JED from candle's site. I tried to reflash the ROM, and the program crashed after the ROM was erased. No problems - I now have a TL866CS. I put the same V2 with 0.3.5 PBI ROM on it. I now have a new issue :

• When the U1MB has SIDE w/button ON, the machine will not boot with SIDE2 cart inserted, and switch in either position. When in SIDE Loader mode, the machine does the "Atari fart", and I get a black screen with a green & blue bar at the bottom. When in SDX mode, it hangs forever at the blue screen with cursor at home.
  • When I disable SIDE in U1MB, I get the SIDE loader and SDX working fine.

Due to this, I still cannot mount ATRs. I am completely at a loss here. If videos would help, I can try to capture the various issues at boot time.

Hmmm, I compared the v2 JED with the one I have with the one on candle's site and they are the same.

The ROM with the 800 OSB that I posted has the wrong PBI code. I just tested it and pressing the "L" key doesn't go into the loader.

So it looks like I grabbed the wrong ROM, but it does boot on my 800xl.

Looking through my other ROMs now...

Just use the ROM that Roy suggested since it has the correct PBI driver...

http://www.lotharek.pl/zasoby/produkty/67/pliki/Ultimate1MBv2.rom

I am wondering about the Flasher for 29F040, because the last two(2) times I changed my UltimateV2 rom and made an Atr for flashing my Ultimate in the 130 XE the flasher erased the whole ROM space and wouldn't continue. [sO I USED MY PLCC EPROM BURNER TO DO IT] So is the flasher built-in the program OR have I accidentally put the wrong file in the folder.. Edited by rdea6

I am wondering about the Flasher for 29F040, because the last two(2) times I changed my UltimateV2 rom and made an Atr for flashing my Ultimate in the 130 XE the flasher erased the whole ROM space and wouldn't continue. [sO I USED MY PLCC EPROM BURNER TO DO IT] So is the flasher built-in the program OR have I accidentally put the wrong file in the folder..

The Rom Generator has the U1MB Flasher for the 29F040 built-in, but you can choose to use an alternate flasher by changing the settings.

I flashed the U1MB in my 800xl 3 times last night until I found the right one with the correct PBI loader and didn't have any problems...

Did you have the SIDE cart plugged in at the same time? That might be a problem?

Edited by AtariGeezer

I am wondering about the Flasher for 29F040, because the last two(2) times I changed my UltimateV2 rom and made an Atr for flashing my Ultimate in the 130 XE the flasher erased the whole ROM space and wouldn't continue. [sO I USED MY PLCC EPROM BURNER TO DO IT] So is the flasher built-in the program OR have I accidentally put the wrong file in the folder..

Same thing happened to me. The flasher worked perfectly before I changed the JED, but after doing that, the flasher erased the ROM, then hung. I did not have SIC plugged in at the time.

Another update - I have found that there are two things which will cause the machine not to boot. These settings are independent of each other, when either is true, the machine hangs at blue screen with cursor at home. Upon initial power up, the HD activity LED on the SIDE flashes very quickly:

• When SDX is enabled on the U1MB (which has version 4.46) and the SIDE2 switch is down (SDX mode - it has 4.46a)
  • When the SIDE hardware is turned on, with or without the button.

However, when the SIDE2 switch is in the up position, only having the SIDE hardware turned on causes the machine to not boot. However, in this case, the initial screen is corrupted. Pushing reset drops the machine in BASIC, and it acts like a 32kB machine (see vid & images below). I am guessing this is the reason for the screen corruption (OS is using imcorrect base pointer to screen RAM).

*** EDIT ***

Now the machine with the switch in the up position, and all U1MB settings the same will boot into SDX (using 4.46 from the U1MB), and issuing a MEM/X reports the machine as having 1024kB.

http://youtu.be/dpnFUfQRZ0o

post-650-0-14876900-1379385787_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-86096000-1379385788_thumb.jpg

Disabling SIDE hardware allows everything to function perfectly, but pressing the SIDE2 top button and hitting reset does not cause the machine to cold boot.

Before I put the new JED on, I did not have these problems. I simply could not use the ATR mounting functionality.

• Like 1

(...)

Before I put the new JED on, I did not have these problems. I simply could not use the ATR mounting functionality.

I have an older U1MB v1 that I would like to upgrade to v2, and just stumbled across this...

How did you manage to upgrade the Xilink? What SW and what programmer?

MANY thanks, in advance... (looking forward to perform the exact same tests as you posted, above).

Stephen, you need to switch SIDE switch to UP position- that is towards CF card slot, then make U1MB BIOS set to "on, with button", save, and press L while inside PBI bios

Loader will appear and you'll be able to load ATR files right off FAT32 partition

You need to have CF card partitioned with APT in order to use it with SDX nativly, hope this part was obvious

Stephen, you need to switch SIDE switch to UP position- that is towards CF card slot, then make U1MB BIOS set to "on, with button", save, and press L while inside PBI bios

Loader will appear and you'll be able to load ATR files right off FAT32 partition

You need to have CF card partitioned with APT in order to use it with SDX nativly, hope this part was obvious

Thanks a million - I did not know I had to launch the SIDE loader via the U1MB BIOS.

For future clarification, my settings are :

• SDX Enabled
  • SIDE w/button Enabled
  • SIDE PBI ID 1
  • SIDE2 cart switch in up position