IGNORED

Major League Baseball - still great after 35 yearss

cvga

attachicon.gifshot0002.gif

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I was hoping I would get specific feedback on what the issues of WC and ML Baseball are. I like to think that I can figure them out but it never hurts to get others opinions. I like the feel of how the game is playing now but setting the difficulty is always a challenge. Some people play better than others.

Now that screenshot is exciting! :P

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I was hoping I would get specific feedback on what the issues of WC and ML Baseball are. I like to think that I can figure them out but it never hurts to get others opinions. I like the feel of how the game is playing now but setting the difficulty is always a challenge. Some people play better than others.

Here are some fluff ideas that might add silly fun but not much to the actual game play.

• Add an umpire who animates "yer out" and "safe" hand signals at home plate.
  • Occasionally have the umpire dust the home plate if someone slides into home.
  • Add base coaches for the at-bat team. However, their hand-signalling to attempt a steal might tip-off the pitching team (or it might become background visual noise).
  • If the game goes idle for a bit, add realism by having a pitching player adjust themselves or spit.
  • Add Intellivoice support for the scoring announcer and umpire.
  • Add a brawl option for when a 'out' is a very close call.
  • Randomly have a pink player run across the screen (a streaker).
  • Randomly choice a real-life stadium; adjust the outfield distances appropriate as well as the odds of getting a home run that is hit to left/center/right field.
  • On rare occasion, have rain. Runners and moving pitching team could slip and lose traction.
  • If the game runs long, go into 'night mode' (vaguely reminiscent of Frog Bog). Not sure if there are enough color shades in the 16 color options to pull this off.
  • Like 1

Dave,

There was another thread on here about someone requesting baseball enhancements where one would be able to select from different teams to select from, each with home and away uniforms. It would also be neat if different ballparks were offered as well. I'm not saying I want Intellivision versions of all MLB parks (though that would be great) but it would be nice if one could pick from between a few different parks, each with their own dimensions (if such a thing exists in Intv baseball games) and/or field geometries and ground rules.

I'm not sure if any or all of the above are possible but the above include my pie-in-the-sky enhancements.

May I ask a stupid question? Or two?

So World Championship Baseball has a single player mode? What is a decent price to pay for this game? I'm looking on ebay...looks like about $15 for a loose cart. I don't see any with overlays (does it need overlays?)

World Championship Baseball came with different overlays than MLB but the control is pretty much the same as MLB with the exception of the slide/bunt button mappings. However, for the sake of completeness, its probably worth getting a copy with the overlays (and manual).

May I ask a stupid question? Or two?

So World Championship Baseball has a single player mode? What is a decent price to pay for this game? I'm looking on ebay...looks like about $15 for a loose cart. I don't see any with overlays (does it need overlays?)

Rev, you are not alone!!!! Rev does not play sport games either. (hahahhahahaha)

Anyone who loves baseball had to have tried WC Baseball. Most of the sport titles were made into one player versions (Football, Baseball, Soccer, Hockey, and Basketball). Auto Racing, Skiing and Golf were already one player games. I think the only two sport games without a one player mode were Tennis and Boxing.

WC Baseball was kind of a disappoint to me....not as much as Championship Tennis...ok...ok...so Tennis did get the one player treatment but to me, Championship Tennis does not exists. It is probably just as bad as Coleco's Donkey Kong....true disappointments.

Here are some fluff ideas that might add silly fun but not much to the actual game play.

• Add an umpire who animates "yer out" and "safe" hand signals at home plate.
  • Occasionally have the umpire dust the home plate if someone slides into home.
  • Add base coaches for the at-bat team. However, their hand-signalling to attempt a steal might tip-off the pitching team (or it might become background visual noise).
  • If the game goes idle for a bit, add realism by having a pitching player adjust themselves or spit.
  • Add Intellivoice support for the scoring announcer and umpire.
  • Add a brawl option for when a 'out' is a very close call.
  • Randomly have a pink player run across the screen (a streaker).
  • Randomly choice a real-life stadium; adjust the outfield distances appropriate as well as the odds of getting a home run that is hit to left/center/right field.
  • On rare occasion, have rain. Runners and moving pitching team could slip and lose traction.
  • If the game runs long, go into 'night mode' (vaguely reminiscent of Frog Bog). Not sure if there are enough color shades in the 16 color options to pull this off.

Fun stuff! Thanks for the suggestions. i could see it now...the pitcher letting go of a huge leugy.

You must know how much I love the Intellivoice. I had considered putting voice into Tennis but decided against it. Same thing occurred with baseball.

For me, I like games that play quickly, have good amount of "action", and are simple. I think Slam Dunk Basketball is awesome with the lineup and extra features. I think that if you want this type of game play in baseball, then just play World Series Baseball (which maybe technically the greatest game on the console).

Many have complained that SP Tennis is to hard to win at in the Super level. SP Baseball is already in that category.

I was hoping to get feedback similar to "the base runner stops running when the outfielder throws the ball when the runner would have been safe". I do not believe the game needs additional features to be fun; the game play needs to be made better. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps WC Baseball is just too easy for me but not most. I can hear it now...you make your games to hard (hahahaha). Am I wrong or did people complain about King of the Mountain also? I usually take the approach that the games are for me and then I share. I do not want to disappoint those of you making suggestions. I will return to just doing what I do and share it when I think it is done.

• Like 1

Fun stuff! Thanks for the suggestions. i could see it now...the pitcher letting go of a huge leugy.

You must know how much I love the Intellivoice. I had considered putting voice into Tennis but decided against it. Same thing occurred with baseball.

For me, I like games that play quickly, have good amount of "action", and are simple. I think Slam Dunk Basketball is awesome with the lineup and extra features. I think that if you want this type of game play in baseball, then just play World Series Baseball (which maybe technically the greatest game on the console).

Many have complained that SP Tennis is to hard to win at in the Super level. SP Baseball is already in that category.

I was hoping to get feedback similar to "the base runner stops running when the outfielder throws the ball when the runner would have been safe". I do not believe the game needs additional features to be fun; the game play needs to be made better. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps WC Baseball is just too easy for me but not most. I can hear it now...you make your games to hard (hahahaha). Am I wrong or did people complain about King of the Mountain also? I usually take the approach that the games are for me and then I share. I do not want to disappoint those of you making suggestions. I will return to just doing what I do and share it when I think it is done.

Thank you Dave, stick to the great gameplay! I still say add a fence and limit how far the pitcher goes to make a play. Other than that all else is gravy! Or Bacon as people here like to say!

Ok, forget the fence idea. anyway, King of the Mountain was too hard for me. I am not a very good video game player, but I am an awesome collector!

Although I was very good at Baseball, I believe I could beat a harder version. only time will tell.

Edited by wolfy62

• 8 years later...
On 12/27/2013 at 7:33 AM, intvdave said:

WC Baseball was kind of a disappoint to me...

Don't judge Baseball II (World Championship Baseball) too harshly—it was never finished. In 1982 marketing cancelled all work on upgrading its sports games (including Basketball II, Hockey II, Soccer II and Golf II) in favor of developing sports games for the ECS. The original games had many fans who would have most certainly bought the upgraded versions. Instead, Mattel went through all of 1983 without competitive versions of its most popular sports titles. (Hockey drove sales in Canada, Soccer in Europe.) The first ECS's didn't hit store shelves until December 1983, and then only in limited quantities, and didn't sell well, as a result, Valeski decided to resurrect Baseball II at 1984 Winter CES. The division shut its doors before anything could come of that.

What you have is a development version that had not even been released for testing. Mike Minkoff liked the game and made some bug fixes on his own time. After Valeski took over he deemed it good enough for his purposes and shipped it anyway, despite the fact that it still contained a nasty bug. Valeski saw value in upgrading the sports games and so also updated Golf and Hockey and sold an update to Soccer made by the successor to Mattel's French subsidiary.

• Like 3