IGNORED

Interest Check: Reproduction Activision Cart Labels

pboland

I'm still hoping that these can be made available. I just gathered all my scattered Activision cartridges, and they include almost all of the games on the list, and I can't stop thinking about how good they would all look with fresh new AtariAge-quality labels!

(Looking over the reproductions, though, I just realized that the word "Conceived" is misspelled on the Freeway sample label shown in Post #28.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been waiting to get some of these labels myself either from this dude or Albert, either way we win

I'm sorry but I'm very hesitant to put any more work into this project since Albert has already stated he wants to do this. Once Albert decides to release his labels, nobody is going to purchase my labels and all that time would have been for not. If you guys really want these labels you will need to ask Albert.

I know you guys have been waiting a long time for these so I will freely post what I have. If you guys want to print them yourself go for it. I only have seven:

- Crackpots

- GrandPrix
- Pitfall
- RiverRaid
- RobotTank
- Seaquest

- SpiderFighter

They are in .pdf format (four on one page and three on the other). As long as you print them at 100% you should be good to go:

ActLabels1.pdf

ActLabels2.pdf

Enjoy!

• Like 7

I am wondering if anyone else would consider replacing a factory blue text label with a repro picture label? Ghostbusters is the only Activision game I have with the blue text label but I would love to replace it with the black label that has the ghostbuster's logo. (Note: This isn't to 'increase' the value or re-sell, just for my collection and I'd be fine if it was 'Atari Age' branded.)

Just dropping in to say that I`d love to be able to purchase new labels for some of my Activision cartridges. There are some bad actiplaqued labels in my collection and my blue text label River Raid really bothers me, I`d love to get a picture label there.

While I like the idea of doing reproduction labels that are as close to the originals as possible (and the ones we have would be indistinguishable by most people once printed and applied to carts), but I also understand the desire to prevent people form pawning off such "restored" carts as originals. It might be nice to alter the labels in some consistent, but not terribly noticeable way, so that collectors would know these are not original labels. However, unless you outright state, "REPRODUCTION LABEL" on the label, those who don't frequent forums like AtariAge would never know about whatever "mark" is added to the label to distinguish it from an original.

..Al

• Like 1

While I like the idea of doing reproduction labels that are as close to the originals as possible (and the ones we have would be indistinguishable by most people once printed and applied to carts), but I also understand the desire to prevent people form pawning off such "restored" carts as originals. It might be nice to alter the labels in some consistent, but not terribly noticeable way, so that collectors would know these are not original labels. However, unless you outright state, "REPRODUCTION LABEL" on the label, those who don't frequent forums like AtariAge would never know about whatever "mark" is added to the label to distinguish it from an original.

..Al

I know exactly where you are coming from. I've gone back and forth on this myself. I first started off with no in your face mark (Talking the Colecovision labels here). There are marks on the labels and if you look at them long enough most collectors with notice them. I didn't say anything about the marks. Most people seemed to like them. Once I started mentioning the marks many wanted them more "perfect", because now then know what makes them a reproduction. I tried putting an actual mark on the label (such as "Reproduction Label", or a print date) to make happy the people that didn't like the idea of new labels and then very few people wanted them after that.

After talking to some of the members I came to realize that most users want then to look 100% perfect and if it has a mark, it's a mark that only they and they alone know about. The truth is, many collectors what to "restore" their gaming stuff and having a perfect label (with no mark) to them is "restoring" their equipment.

I look to the arcade people now, and they are all about "restoring" with new artwork. They don't worry about reproduction marks. As a matter of fact, nobody puts reproduction marks on new arcade artwork.

As time goes on, more and more people will want to "restore" their home gaming stuff (just like a car collector). Only collectors will be buying this stuff and collectors will know if something is "original" or a "restore".

BTW, the labels I posted in this topic are not 100% the same and that too was done on purpose (plus it's a little easier to make the labels that way ;) ).

Edited by pboland
  • Like 1

I am waiting on the first shipment of labels from a new label company I'm using. If that goes well, I can use them to produce these labels, and they should look fantastic. :)

..Al

This is fantastic news - I'm definitely going to buy up a couple of full sets, as I have boxed games with actiplaque as well as cartridges that I use in the same shape.

Let me ask you this - there was a mention in a previous post about posters... will there be any opportunity to purchase the .ai or .eps files (or sized PDF's) to print our own posters? Nothing would make me happier than being able to frame a bunch of these for my gameroom... talk about AWESOME art on the wall!!

Thanks,

Whitney

Even a tiny "repro" written would help. Comics that have been restored and graded are noted as such. There are people who sell restored books without divulging the info or possibly not even knowing. The problem is no big deal when it comes to $1 carts. But if you start throwing out some of the $100+ carts with repro labels, then the opportunity to try and pass off as originals to deceive the collector out there will increase.

Since I'm also dealing with variations on my website, I don't want to be putting down something that has been altered in some way, say a color or something, and then someone coming to me saying it's a legit variation. Though most of the variations are now known that are out there.

Phil

..Al

Yeah, they should read "REPRODUCTION LABEL" with the year 2015

Edited by roadrunner