IGNORED

Rarities - PAL and NTSC

Magic Knight

Hi

As being new to 7800 collecting and playing just recently, i was looking with interest the rarities guide on the site.

I a PAL user and noticed that Mean 18 has a rarity guide of 7 and was quite surprised as around 4 weeks ago there was several listings on Ebay. Some boxed versions were being listed at around the £10 level ($15) and werent selling and one got sold for less than $10 boxed.

On the other hand copies of Mario Bros. can be found easily for NTSC and PAL versions are rare (at least in the last month through extensive searches on most of the major console sites and Ebay).

Is there other examples of these opposite availability that anyone knows of?

Patience and timing is the key. I've seen a cart only NTSC Commando go for as 'little' as $30, and as high as $70. NTSC Water Ski* is another one. It can go as low as $35-45, as high as $80.

Tank Command overall is the only one (Of the original retail line) I don't believe I've seen over the last few years go any lower than $80. It tends to sell $80-$100+ cart only.

Any other 'rarer' NTSC game (I.E. Ikari Warriors, Midnight Mutants, Mean 18) I found to follow the same scenarios as the aforementioned Commando.

Then again, that's been my experience. Having obtain the complete retail library a while ago, I don't follow ebay regularly.

EDIT:

*Speaking of which: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_trksid%3Dp2050601.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.X7800%2Bwaterski%26_nkw%3D7800%2Bwaterski%26_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40

Cart only Buy it Now $42.95, another for $79.95.

There's a boxed complete for $129 as well.

Of the games that were released in both PAL and NTSC, I would say from experience when I was trying to collect...

Harder to find in PAL than NTSC - Dark Chambers, Mario Bros, Scrapyard Dog, Ninja Golf

Harder to find in NTSC than PAL - Alien Brigade, Planet Smasher, Mean 18

Patience and timing is the key. I've seen a cart only NTSC Commando go for as 'little' as $30, and as high as $70. NTSC Water Ski* is another one. It can go as low as $35-45, as high as $80.

Commando (Pal) is another that ive seen loose for less than $15 in Europe on occasion and boxed for $30

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of you know how much Commando is brand new? Thanks

Coincidentally, someone recently posted a ridiculous price for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COMMANDO-Atari-7800-NEW-/181245330822?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2a33104586

It’s nowhere near that price. Patience will find someone paying MUCH less.

Welcome to the boards, btw.

Coincidentally, someone recently posted a ridiculous price for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COMMANDO-Atari-7800-NEW-/181245330822?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2a33104586

It’s nowhere near that price. Patience will find someone paying MUCH less.

Welcome to the boards, btw.

I'm guessing that the seller of this game was looking at the prices on Price Charting dot COM and saw the prices at which new copies of Tank Command sell, and the seller confused that title with Commando, at least I hope that this is the case.

Edited by BenjaminStevens

I'm guessing that the seller of this game was looking at the prices on Price Charting dot COM and saw the prices at which new copies of Tank Command sell, and the seller confused that title with Commando, at least I hope that this is the case.

Ya i think that's exactly what happened I look at that site all the time. didnt know they had atari on it tho!:0

How interesting guys!

Wonder if that seller happens to be watching the boards, as the seller changed the price from ~$235 to $145 now...LOL.

If that seller is watching, you're still way too high, IMHO. Think at least half your current price and let it ride. I've seen new Commando go for much less.

Just be patient people...They come along *much* cheaper than what is on ebay right now.