IGNORED

Gaming's 20 Most Embarrassing Companies

I know it isn't Modern Gaming, but I hope they put Mystique on the list. :D

Oh, and as for this:

Let's take a moment to compare Capcom to itself.  

1987: Capcom's Megaman introduced the world to the concepts of non-linear stage selection and earning varied, practical character power-ups for completing levels. Megaman borrowed the basic physics and interface of Super Mario Bros. and added a large degree of player choice, clever level layouts and enormously challenging (but never unfair) combat to create something wholly unique. Two years later, Megaman 2 further refined the principles of the first game into one of the greatest action platformers ever conceived.  

2002: A new Megaman game is no longer something to be excited about, or even to care about. The original series now has eight chapters (which became progressively less interesting after the third). The second Megaman series, Megaman X, is about to force its sixth sequel upon the world, much to the dread of thousands of gamers who played Megaman X6 and found it to be a detestable waste of human effort and data media. There are two other Megaman series, although neither of these can compare in terms of popularity with Megaman and MMX. Nevertheless, the third, fourth and fifth games in the Megaman Battle Network are due within the next few months in Japan. That's roughly a year and a half after the first MMBN game was released. When you factor in the various spin-offs, the tally comes to nearly 50 Megaman games in a mere 15 years. That's roughly one game every hundred days.  

They say that like it's a BAD thing. :D

I think the 3 worst companies ever would have to be...

Titus : Did they ever make a good game? They are the guilty party of making Superman 64.

Infogrames : They have a retarted name (why the hell is there an "r" in there?), and they have been abusing the Atari name.

Rockstar : They killed Earthworm Jim with that terrible n64 game. The snes games were classic, and then Rockstar just brutally murdered a great series.

Actually, Titus and Infogrames are publishers; they don't develop any of their own games in-house. Titus basically killed Interplay, though, so I'd probably include them on the list. Rockstar made the last two Grand Theft Auto games, which are doing a great job of rekindling interest in the industry, in my opinion.

I like Infogrames, though. With many of the companies and franchises they've taken over, the quality has gotten better since they acquired them. Test Drive is pretty crappy, but at least it's better than the old Accolade versions. Plus, Infogrames budget line (which used to be WizardWorks before Infogrames took it over) has gotten better as well.

Before Infogrames, the Atari name was being dragged through the mud by the inept Hasbro, who only used it to peddle lazy 3D conversions of Atari classics. Now at least the Atari name is attached to some modern games (including some really high-profile titles like the excellent Neverwinter Nights and Unreal Tournament 2003).

They also published Outcast, one of the best and most charming games of 1999. So, while Infogrames is not perfect, they saved some good franchises, titles, and companies from oblivion and brought back Atari's good name.

It is a bad thing for those of us who got tired of Megaman after Megaman 4 for the NES.

*Ducks to avoid Megamanfan's fury*

Dude, I'm not +that+ obsessed. MM is not for everyone, and I have no problem with that. I'll even freely admit some of the games bite, although I'm actually somewhat fond of MM5 and 6 (I really like the jungle world in 6 where the tigers G-ROWL and leap at you).

It is a bad thing for those of us who got tired of Megaman after Megaman 4 for the NES.

*Ducks to avoid Megamanfan's fury*

Dude, I'm not +that+ obsessed. MM is not for everyone, and I have no problem with that. I'll even freely admit some of the games bite, although I'm actually somewhat fond of MM5 and 6 (I really like the jungle world in 6 where the tigers G-ROWL and leap at you).

I know a lot of people think the series got stale, but I enjoyed every MM game up until Mega Man Legends. One of these days I'll try to complete my MM collection - I think all I need are 3 and 5 for the original GB. Of course, I don't have any of the Battle Network games since I don't have a GBA.

Wow, they really tore into Acclaim... wish I could say it was undeserved, but they really are awful.

Capcom deserves it too... I actually like a lot of their games (I've always been a Street Fighter fan), but they rehash things so damn much that it's pathetic. If I never see another Resident Evil game (or similar ripoffs like Devil May Cry), I could die happily. Sadly, people keep buying the same damn game over and over again, so Capcom will be in business for quite some time. I don't understand why people are buying those stupid MM Battle Network games... they look horrible to me.

As for other bad companies, I'd have to suggest T*HQ... they're actually doing some half decent stuff now (Their logo is on my Sonic Advance cartridge, although I have no clue what they contributed), but the huge glut of awful platform games and similarly awful wrestling games were horrendous. I still don't understand how they're still in business.

Nintendo has been pretty slimy lately too... what with all the GBA-Gamecube whoring, previous NES liscensing nastiness, and tons upon tons of sequels (although not nearly as bad as Capcom). Even worse than sequels is the annoying amount of games that just get re-released! Please STOP buying their repackaged GBA Mario and Zelda games until they make NEW stuff! Also, DON'T buy a GBA-SP! You already have a perfectly good GBA!

I also think Tecmo should get a mention... not only is that ridiculous volleyball game a pathetic cry for help, but frankly the Dead or Alive games have always been kind of crappy (I have DOA2, and it has almost no replay value).

--Zero

Hmm . . . . I suspect that if you set out to profile the twenty game companies that are truly the most embarrassing, the resulting list would consist of nothing but developers of Japan-exclusive hentai dating simulators. Oh, and Sachen would be on there somewhere. Long live the hate for Little Red Hood.

Edit: Hey, what about Bandai and Banpresto? Between the two of them, they're responsible for about 90 percent of all the crappy anime-based games ever made.

I'll put in a vote for one company. Mastertronic. They did a massive line of budget titles for the Commodre 64 way back when. And for some reason, I bought them all. But for the most part, they were completely wretched games. I think they only made 3 games I ever liked...Kik-Start, Kik-Start 2, and Kane. I know I had well over 30 of their disks though. Why, I'll never know.

Also, DON'T buy a GBA-SP! You already have a perfectly good GBA!  

--Zero

Sorry Zero, I'm tired of squinting, and I'm not brave enough to buy a Triton Labs kit and modify my own GBA. The front light is worth it and the small size is a bonus. :D

<SARCASM>

Acclaim? Why the hell would they be in there?! I love all their Batman movie tie-ins -beat-em-ups, hell once you've played one, you already know how to play the rest of them! Thats called user familiarity! Its a good thing! And the sheer challenge of them is awe inducing!

</SARCASM>

:|

Yeah, they deserve it , 3D0 was really just a VERY misguided venture...Capcom....the only offense they are guilty of in my opinion are, yes, they re-use alot, but it seems to work and those absolutely god-awful "Captian Commando" posters that came with their first NES line of games......you know the one, the drugged out looking grey haired guy with the wacky space uniform....not the Captian commando from the game..WTH......LMAO

I'm glad the Acclaim section mentioned the incredibly horrible LJN games.  I didn't know Acclaim was to blame for that crap.  When the NES was the console of choice I avoided LJN games like the plague.

major league baseball was pretty good, it was almost a complete copy of RBI Baseball, but with all 26 (lol) teams :)

I don't understand why people are buying those stupid MM Battle Network games... they look horrible to me.

I know this is biased coming from me, but they're actually quite good. And if you've watched the Rokkuman EXE anime - you can download it in places online, but don't ask me where ;) - they make more sense.

Capcom....the only offense they are guilty of in my opinion are, yes, they re-use alot, but it seems to work and those absolutely god-awful "Captian Commando" posters that came with their first NES line of games......you know the one, the drugged out looking grey haired guy with the wacky space uniform....not the Captian commando from the game..WTH......LMAO

I know there was at least two different kinds of art featuring the spacey Captain Commando.. you talkin' bout the one with the blue monkey chillin' on his shoulder? I could go for one of those...

Ah.. they'll never make enough Megaman games ultimately. At least Capcom's not afraid to try out new territory/genres. Nintendo's the same way though, if you think about it.

Infogrames : They have a retarted name (why the hell is there an "r" in there?), and they have been abusing the Atari name.

The name doesn't make a whole lot to sense to me, even though it's probably supposed to be like the European spelling of "programs" (i.e., "programmes"), but the only thing I don't like about this company is that it comes out with a really good Smurfs game for the Super NES and Nintendo Power gives it some pages and then they don't even release it here in America!