IGNORED

Gaming's 20 Most Embarrassing Companies

I do not want to get banned fro AtariAge for saying this, but how about Atari?

I mean, had they been a little bit smarter, 7800 would have beaten the NES to Market..... things could have been a lot different.

That is defenately a major business blunder! (Although not as bad as "New Coke" or the "Edsel") I belive it ultimately led to their demise. Had the 7800 been the huge success it should have been, Nintendo would most likely still be a third party!

Not that I don't love Atari, I just wish they would have been more successful.

I don't understand why people are buying those stupid MM Battle Network games... they look horrible to me.

I know this is biased coming from me, but they're actually quite good.

I guess they're just not my bag. I do like the normal Megaman games though.

As for Infogrames, keep in mind that they're a french company, and anyone who's taken a french class (I live in Canada, so it was mandatory for about 7 years) knows that their language is completely alien and incomprehensible :P

I'm not sure why you'd say Atari is an embarrasment... They may have made some bad decisions, and some unethical business practices at times, but compared to the companies that already made the lists, I'd hardly call them embarrasing.

--Zero

Since 3D0 focused on Hawkings so much, I forgot it was about the company, and not the guy...because really early EA was super cool...there the brilliant idea wasn't the anually updated sports titles, but that by treating game programmers like rock stars (taking a cue from Activision, who made them known) making gameboxes look a bit like albums, and slick marketing, you can make some awe inspiring games...

I just wish 3D0 would make a nextgen update of BattleTanx...I don't know what the hell went wrong with Thundertanks, but it sucks.

Man... That artical reminded me of this one NES game I have... Big Foot.. a monster truck racing game... the Side Scroller part of the game sucks so I never play it. Never knew that Flying Edge or LJN were part of the same company though it makes sence... I have so many Acclaim games.... all recieved as christmas or birthday gifts.... all of them.

I do not want to get banned fro AtariAge for saying this, but how about Atari?

I mean, had they been a little bit smarter, 7800 would have beaten the NES to Market..... things could have been a lot different.

That is defenately a major business blunder! (Although not as bad as "New Coke" or the "Edsel") I belive it ultimately led to their demise. Had the 7800 been the huge success it should have been, Nintendo would most likely still be a third party!

Not that I don't love Atari, I just wish they would have been more successful.

It wouldn't have made much of a difference...atari was still releasing remake after remake of games already on other consoles. Even if the 7800 version was better, there was no real Killer App you couldn't get a version of on other consoles. It wasn't until they realized the NES had revolutionized the home industry that they started putting out games that were at least original as far as Atari consoles went (like Xevious, which saw no release on other consoles, or Scrapyard Dog, or Ace of Aces).

The 7800 was basically doomed due to atari's business practices, Tramiel or Warner.

Surprised Color Dreams hasn't made the list yet...

Color Dreams! I have one of their unlicensed Nintendo games (Captain Comic), one of those silly light blue cartridges. They were also responsible for all the awful Bible NES and SNES games as well. And then they started a sub-label (Bunch games, was it?) that was even worse!

It's too bad nobody's heard of them (although many of us Lynx owners have at least one of their games, Crystal Mines II, one of the most common and cheapest Lynx games out there), because they deserve to be on the list.

Nintendo has been pretty slimy lately too... what with all the GBA-Gamecube whoring, previous NES liscensing nastiness, and tons upon tons of sequels (although not nearly as bad as Capcom). Even worse than sequels is the annoying amount of games that just get re-released! Please STOP buying their repackaged GBA Mario and Zelda games until they make NEW stuff! Also, DON'T buy a GBA-SP! You already have a perfectly good GBA!

I never had a SNES, so I'm glad to see rereleases of Super Mario World and Zelda: A Link to the Past (which were the first two games I bought with my GBA). Personally, I'm hoping they re-release Super Mario 3 next!

Anyone else think that Midway should be on this list? Anyone who can screw up the Mortal Kombat franchise so much certainly deserves it. Not to mention all those lame-ass sports games like Blitz and Hitz and stuff...

--Zero

What's so lame-ass about Blitz and Hitz?

Blitz is the only football game I want to play. Screw that sim stuff.

It took me a while to warmup to the new look (which is a bit more generic-y football than its own funky chunky appearance) but it's still great fun. You could argue it's a little cheaty, but that's about my only fault with it...and it's probably not as cheaty as it seems.

And Hitz was a lot of old-school hockey fun as well.

Color Dreams!  I have one of their unlicensed Nintendo games (Captain Comic), one of those silly light blue cartridges.

That seems to be their most common game. I have one and I see several for sale at the local game store on a constant/regular basis.

They were also responsible for all the awful Bible NES and SNES games as well.  And then they started a sub-label (Bunch games, was it?) that was even worse!

I don't remember Bunch, but Color Dreams did turn into Wisdom Tree and make "the awful bible games" so they should really be considered one in the same company.

It's too bad nobody's heard of them

Indeed, because they deserve to make the list far more than Capcom.

What's so lame-ass about Blitz and Hitz?

Well, I hate football, so I avoid pretty much all football games... Hitz on the other hand, annoys me because it's much too arcadey. I'm a huge hockey fan, and the game just grates on my nerves. It's so thoroughly not hockey that it shouldn't have NHL licenses. If I cared about football at all, I'd probably feel the same way about Blitz.

I was also pissed off with Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey on the N64, when an ambulence would ride by in the background after a big hit, and the commentary would say retarded things like "Looks like Robin Hood and his merry men are at it again!" if someone stole the puck... the whole game felt like it was done by a group of programmers who just got done making a basketball game.

Meanwhile I used to really like NBA Jam... perhaps because I hate basketball, and the game definitely was NOT basketball...

--Zero