IGNORED

MyDos V 4.6 (never released)

Larry

IIRC, MyDos 4.6 was supposed to provide 32 MB disks for the Atari, but never happened. Does anyone know where the extra bit was to come from? My guess is that the authors (CM & BP) were going to convert Status bits 3 or 6 which I believe are always clear even under MyDos high capacity disks? Or was there another way? What about the "next sector" links? Not that it would have been terribly useful, but I'm curious how they were going to do it.

-Larry

Bob Puff set out to use the last byte of a file's sector to denote which Black Box partition would be accessed so FD would be for for the first one, FE for the second 16megs and FF for the last one. Then Mathy mentioned to him that 00 was also up for grabs in this slot and Bob immediately changed the concept from 48 to 64 megs. Still didn't get released though. And only useful for those with the Black Box and a need for such a large drive in the first place. A bit of fool proofing would have to be installed to prevent the last byte in a file pointer from being 'misunderstood' at moments when it's actually used for that at the end of the file and it's value is different from the four examples above of course, but that's the simple layout anyway.

Thanks, guys. Interesting stuff. I always was of the thought that the 64-file limit and short file names were the "worst offenders" in MyDos, and that 65535 DD sectors was quite ample. But I'm sure opinions vary on that.

-Larry