IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

What are you talking about? What's a "blix" game?

I see now what Blix is based on the other thread. I don't think that has anything much to do with AtGames, though. They don't manufacture cartridges and, if there was a deal worked out to sell the game to AtGames, then it's perfectly reasonable to for them to have an exclusive as part of that deal. I can see as a collector being frustrated not getting access to one of the 30 cartridges made, but I don't think anyone was trying to "screw" anyone in particular. Simply put, someone made a game and worked out a deal with AtGames to their advantage. If the effort is put into creating a game, it's not up to us to demand of that person or entity to do with it what we want them to do with it.

If the choice was to sell maybe 100 cartridges to the community or get your game on hundreds of thousands of retail units at major US retailers, I think most of us would choose the latter. That's also on top of the digital offerings AtGames will soon have. In that sense, it's "screwing" the community who has supported homebrewers all of these years, but the reality is this a positive thing in general for retrogaming. I also don't think this will be a particular trend going forward, though I guess we'll see.

• Like 5

Really impressed with the INTV Flashback buttons - HUGE improvement from the original. Even more impressed being able to play with one pre-release (Colecovision too) at CGE, and to get a ton of BSR autographs on mine. It only comes with overlays for 10 or so games, but I'm told the rest will be available via website in the near future. New overlays! Nothing against the homebrew/repro community, but there's something pretty cool about "official" overlays coming out again. And they seem damn well made. Time will tell if they're flexible enough (they seem a tiny bit stiffer) but given how poorly original overlays held up over the years, I'm pleased as punch about this.

Here's hoping we see more of these in the future. Given that I'm still skeptical that they'll make it north of the border to Canada, at least I've got one of the 2.

Bill,

Can you talk about the digital offerings that ATGames will soon have? I'm hoping for another Inty flashback down the line but will definitely be buying the flashbacks .

I can't really discuss specifics, but the offerings will be through both mobile apps and what was formerly GameFly's digital business: http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/pc . It's still early, but everything so far is looking good from what I've seen.

• Like 1

I can't really discuss specifics, but the offerings will be through both mobile apps and what was formerly GameFly's digital business: http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/pc . It's still early, but everything so far is looking good from what I've seen.

please recommend icade compatibility. I wish the old inty app had icade compatibility. Icade works on android as well.

I see now what Blix is based on the other thread. I don't think that has anything much to do with AtGames, though. They don't manufacture cartridges and, if there was a deal worked out to sell the game to AtGames, then it's perfectly reasonable to for them to have an exclusive as part of that deal. I can see as a collector being frustrated not getting access to one of the 30 cartridges made, but I don't think anyone was trying to "screw" anyone in particular. Simply put, someone made a game and worked out a deal with AtGames to their advantage. If the effort is put into creating a game, it's not up to us to demand of that person or entity to do with it what we want them to do with it.

If the choice was to sell maybe 100 cartridges to the community or get your game on hundreds of thousands of retail units at major US retailers, I think most of us would choose the latter. That's also on top of the digital offerings AtGames will soon have. In that sense, it's "screwing" the community who has supported homebrewers all of these years, but the reality is this a positive thing in general for retrogaming. I also don't think this will be a particular trend going forward, though I guess we'll see.

Thank you Bill, and I agree with all of this.

And I felt Good Deal Games just released and made something in a limited supply.

It was clear they had zero affiliation with AT Games at the Expo.

No Flashbacks, signs or anything else other than there Good Deal Games sign.

Therefore, why punish AT Games for any of this?

On another note I purchased 2 adapters from the Intelivisionaries booth for the Flashback controllers for my Inty 2. and they worked perfectly!

The Flashback is worth the purchase for the controllers alone. Very happy! ;-)

On another note I purchased 2 adapters from the Intelivisionaries booth for the Flashback controllers for my Inty 2. and they worked perfectly!

The Flashback is worth the purchase for the controllers alone. Very happy! ;-)

Gasp! You broke the seal on the limited edition cable adapters. :-)

These limited edition cable adapters sold like hotcakes!! I'm like #5 on the waiting list...

Collectibility is in the eye of the collector... Just ask Cmart!

But just for fun, I will make the package label for the second batch different. That said, I still have some CGE package labels left over... So those waiting for cables here and from the names I collected at CGE will not know which they are getting until they get them! Haha!

By the way, I ordered the parts I need to make more adapters today. I should have them early next week, and will get to work. I'll start a new thread too, and link to it from this one once assembly is under way.

• Like 1

Looking forward to it. What do you plan to charge for the adapters?

I was doing $12 each or 2 for $20 at CGE.

Each cable costs me about $5.50 in parts + about 30 mins to make and test (wire stripping, soldering, shrink tube each connection + the shrink tube over that, then packaging).

Several people there told me I wasn't charging enough! But I'm not looking to gouge anyone on these. I figured $15 would be too much. Someone suggested $20, but I can't see any moving at that price.

I should add, in case it's not clear, that the ones I'm making are ALSO a 6 foot extension cable.

Edited by nurmix

Worth it for the extension cable alone. I haven't kept up - these are just pin re-wirings, yeah?

Amazing that so much work goes into re-creating a classic console, but they couldn't retain the original pinouts. Has to be intentional, but for the life of me I can't guess as to why. If the INTV 1 had removable controllers, I'd be buying a bunch just to replace them on otherwise working consoles.

Worth it for the extension cable alone. I haven't kept up - these are just pin re-wirings, yeah?

Amazing that so much work goes into re-creating a classic console, but they couldn't retain the original pinouts. Has to be intentional, but for the life of me I can't guess as to why. If the INTV 1 had removable controllers, I'd be buying a bunch just to replace them on otherwise working consoles.

I will be making adapter cables to support the original Intellivision console once I finish with batch 2 of the current cables. There are a few issues to sort out first though, like:

* How important it is to keep the original coiled cable vs using the a new straight cable?

* Would people want to send me their coiled cable to re-purpose on a new controller?

* Would those not interested in (or willing to) open their consoles to disconnect the original controllers want to send me their consoles and Flashback controllers to mod?

* Would people want their original consoles modded with D-sub 9-pin controller ports?

* Would you want me to recreate coiled cables using the Flashback cable? (not sure how easy or difficult this would be)

Any other ideas about this guys?

Edited by nurmix

For me, the cables are handy and worth it when I don't have to open anything up (ie: on an INTV2). If I'm gonna open one up anyway and start messing around with plugs and such, I'd just re-wire the pins myself while I'm in there. Not sure how many people would be able to open it up, yank the controllers out, but not swap a few wires. Are you thinking of an adapter that would plug straight into the controller plugs inside the console? Or modding FB controllers to hardwire in? THAT would be pretty cool and probably what I'd be doing if the FBs ever end up on clearance. I've got several consoles that need complete controller replacement, methinks.

I picked up a modded console with 9-pin ports a lot of years ago. Pretty handy to be able to swap 1 and 2 controllers just for fun. I highly recommend this to anyone who's thinking about the above "offer".