IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

I think that we didn't see a proliferation due to a couple reasons. First, the INTV 2 came out in 1982 which is a bit close to the crash of 1983 (market penetration likely didn't grow enough until the crash was underway). Second, the manufacturer would have to either describe that the joystick only works with the INTV 2 and Sears INTV or expect that users are technical enough to also open up their INTV 1 (both options have the risk of higher returns which kills profits).

Ahhhh.... this is what I forgot to tell today.

I had an Intellivision 1 which my friends and I beat the controllers to death on.

The only way in 1981 to get another controller was to send it back to the Factory for repair or have them send you one with wiring instructions.

We were a bunch of stoned or drunk 19 year old kids so wiring them ourselves was not a good option.

I sent mine in to the factory for repair and it took a month to get it back.This was for the intv 1.

I had about ten friends of mine and my brothers that played all of the different sports games every day so this sucked waiting for it to come back.

As soon as the Intv 2 came out I purchased one because I knew I would need replacement controllers. I sent away to Mattel right away for 2 extra controllers so I would be covered. Great call!

I only have an Intv 2 to this day, and a few replacement controllers. The ones made for the Flashback are in my mind amazing and improved on the originals as the side buttons, in fact all the buttons are more responsive. Weird to use intv 1 controllers on my intv 2.

Get the adapters from Nurmix I am very impressed by them and the controllers! Wolfy

Ahhhh.... this is what I forgot to tell today.

I had an Intellivision 1 which my friends and I beat the controllers to death on.

The only way in 1981 to get another controller was to send it back to the Factory for repair or have them send you one with wiring instructions.

We were a bunch of stoned or drunk 19 year old kids so wiring them ourselves was not a good option.

I sent mine in to the factory for repair and it took a month to get it back.This was for the intv 1.

I had about ten friends of mine and my brothers that played all of the different sports games every day so this sucked waiting for it to come back.

As soon as the Intv 2 came out I purchased one because I knew I would need replacement controllers. I sent away to Mattel right away for 2 extra controllers so I would be covered. Great call!

I only have an Intv 2 to this day, and a few replacement controllers. The ones made for the Flashback are in my mind amazing and improved on the originals as the side buttons, in fact all the buttons are more responsive. Weird to use intv 1 controllers on my intv 2.

Get the adapters from Nurmix I am very impressed by them and the controllers! Wolfy

How would you atach the Flash Back controllers to the Intellivision 1? What is meant by re wiring, yould you have to cut the cable and splice the wires in side together in a different way to change the pin outs?

When my Intellivision 1 controllers broke one time I just went to Sears and bought a Sears Super Video Arcade controller and then just took the controller apart and put the sears on on the end of where the original controller was and put the screws back now I have a INTV 2 and just plugged in the controllers from my no longer working Sears Super Video Arcade but I wish I could get the Sears Super Video Arcade working again because it is better because it does not have that annoying problem of not playing some Coleco games and some of the demo programs and prototype programs I have on my Cuttle Cart 3 plus it has a better separate power switch and reset button. I had to add a little switch that goes between the extension cord and the INTV 2 wall wart so all i have to do too power off the Intellivision is to flip off the switch instead of trying to guess when 5 seconds are up.

Edited by daldude

How would you atach the Flash Back controllers to the Intellivision 1? What is meant by re wiring, yould you have to cut the cable and splice the wires in side together in a different way to change the pin outs?

If you have a unit with the DB9 connector (the Sears SVA or Intellivision 2), you need an adaptor such as nurmix's to put the signals in the right order, or you need to open the controller and rewire it there.

If you have a unit without the DB9 connector, such as the Intellivision 1, you need an adaptor from DB9 to the 9-pin SIP connector that the Intellivision uses internally to connect the controllers to the main board. (And if you want to use both the FB controllers and the original Sears / Inty 2 controllers on your Intellivision 1, you need two different adaptors.)

You could cut and splice the cable itself, but I certainly wouldn't. Seems like a recipe for a flaky controller.

what happened to the Toys R Us pre-order page? I don't see the Intellivision Flashback listed there anymore. As a matter of fact, aside from ebay, I don't see it anywhere. Is it still set to be released Oct 1? I thought I saw some posts earlier that said it might be on sale Sept 22. Any news?

I heard that too and saw the same. we shall see I guess!

When my Intellivision 1 controllers broke one time I just went to Sears and bought a Sears Super Video Arcade controller and then just took the controller apart and put the sears on on the end of where the original controller was and put the screws back now I have a INTV 2 and just plugged in the controllers from my no longer working Sears Super Video Arcade but I wish I could get the Sears Super Video Arcade working again because it is better because it does not have that annoying problem of not playing some Coleco games and some of the demo programs and prototype programs I have on my Cuttle Cart 3 plus it has a better separate power switch and reset button. I had to add a little switch that goes between the extension cord and the INTV 2 wall wart so all i have to do too power off the Intellivision is to flip off the switch instead of trying to guess when 5 seconds are up.

No, no, this post was for attaching an original Intellivision 1 controller to an Intellivision 1 in the early 1980s which I chose not to do.

Not Flashback related in any way! :)

what happened to the Toys R Us pre-order page? I don't see the Intellivision Flashback listed there anymore. As a matter of fact, aside from ebay, I don't see it anywhere. Is it still set to be released Oct 1? I thought I saw some posts earlier that said it might be on sale Sept 22. Any news?

all I know is that I pre ordered the intellivision and colecovision flashbacks on Aug 3 from toysrus.com and my Paypal account says the transaction is pending. I hope it still goes through or I'll have to go to plan B!

Can someone ask Keith or anyone else who may know why the INTV Skiing game was removed from the unit? Were there emulation issues like with Reversi, or was there concern no one would want this? This is really the only minor nitpick I have with the system, still going to get one at Sams Club when it comes out.

I was in Toys R Us a couple nights ago and asked, they said the boxed are marked Sept 22nd.

Can someone ask Keith or anyone else who may know why the INTV Skiing game was removed from the unit? Were there emulation issues like with Reversi, or was there concern no one would want this? This is really the only minor nitpick I have with the system, still going to get one at Sams Club when it comes out.

I talked about this in episode 12 of The Intellivisionaries Podcast, but for those who missed it, here's Keith's response:

"As for Mountain Madness, the final choice of games in Intellivision Flashback was made by the manufacturer, AtGames. While we had input in the selection and are happy with the resulting product, not everything could be included. Why Mountain Madness was left off — bug, legal issue, memory limitation or something else — we don’t know for sure."

They've regularly included both skiing games in past products, so I suspect it's safe to assume that it's an emulation issue.

Too bad, too, since they're both fine games and are easy to pickup and play compared to much of the remainder of the sports lineup.

Edited by Atariboy

They've regularly included both skiing games in past products, so I suspect it's safe to assume that it's an emulation issue.

Too bad, too, since they're both fine games and are easy to pickup and play compared to much of the remainder of the sports lineup.

Why would they not have a emulation problem with the crappy versions before the Intellivision Flash Backs but not the Flashback that is one they spent a lotmore time making them a quality product and perfecting the emulation?

Why would they not have a emulation problem with the crappy versions before the Intellivision Flash Backs but not the Flashback that is one they spent a lotmore time making them a quality product and perfecting the emulation?

The previous Direct-to-TV products didn't run the actual original ROMS -- they were essentially rewrites of the games for the NES on a chip hardware. Said approach explains the much greater discrepancies between those versions and the originals. The IFB runs original ROMs in an emulator, so it's understandable that some error in the emulator would manifest as an unplayable game.

Then again, they seem to have wanted a nice round number of games on the system. Whichever games didn't make the cut for whatever reason will have its fans, spurring exactly this discussion. :)

My hope is that the IFB does well enough to warrant a sequel that will bring us back to ask why games XYZ weren't on the IFB2 next time around! So, get a couple for yourself, your family members, neighbors, and that buddy at work who puts up with you blabbering about it all the time!

(No! I swear I am NOT projecting! :P )

• Like 1

I'm not sure, and I would not say that they are crappier versions. For all we know, ATGames themselves made the emulator and did not use an existing one from IP. That could be why bugs or anything of that nature occurred.

According to Keith Robinson, the emulator AT Games used in the FB is based on the Intellivision Lives Mac emulator, which if I recall, was primarily written by Steve Roney.

I don't know how much it was changed by AT Games, but seeing as it didn't work right with another game (Reversi), it seems likely there was an emulation issue with Skiing too.

I'll try to get more details from Keith / AT Games in a future podcast episode.

found the Intellivision Flashback on the shelves at a Toys R Us in Hazlet, NJ (someone posted either here or on FB a photo that the store had them.) Got mine, haven't had chance to play yet. They had 3 Intellivisions, 1 Colecovision, 1 Atari and 4 Segas. Really hoping they come through and sell the full overlay set online…..