IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

The Sega Flashback was not the only Flashback that could use cartridges. There was a Atari Flashback that could be moded with a cartridge port to play Atari VCS Carts because it used actual Atari VCS hardware so it's not true that All of the other Flashback units use non-specific chips with a custom software emulation layer. There's nothing to tap into. I think it was the Atari Flashback 2.

He said "the only such product from AtGames...". The Flashback 2 that could be modified for a cart port was not from AtGames. Whether Bill intended to speak of all of the AtGames releases, or just the current releases from AtGames, his statement was correct when read as a whole.

The Sega Flashback was not the only Flashback that could use cartridges. There was a Atari Flashback that could be moded with a cartridge port to play Atari VCS Carts because it used actual Atari VCS hardware so it's not true that All of the other Flashback units use non-specific chips with a custom software emulation layer. There's nothing to tap into. I think it was the Atari Flashback 2.

That was not from AtGames. The Flashback 2 and 2+ were unique creations, like the Commodore 64DTV, and likely won't happen again given the lower cost of off-the-shelf chips and reasonable software emulation (for the target audience) versus producing systems-on-a-chip. The relationship between Sega and AtGames is also unique in a lot of ways.

EDIT: Just saw Mirage's post. Thanks.

WOOHOO!

Look what I found when I checked Sam's Club today -- the Sam's Club edition of the Intelivision Flashback!

Some pictures:

1) First picture -- the box

2) Second picture -- the Sam's Club logo saying it has extra overlays

3) Third Picture -- logo on box showing the extra overlays

The extra overlays are: Bowling, Chess, Space Battle, Sea Battle, and Sub Hunt

Also got the Atari Flashback 5 -- the bonus item for the Sam's Club edition are two paddles.

And the Colecovision Flashback I already picked up on Friday.

No time to try these out today, but I just wanted to post to let you folks know it's finally out!

post-24464-0-83495900-1415055628_thumb.jpg

post-24464-0-90698600-1415055634_thumb.jpg

post-24464-0-40052100-1415055640_thumb.jpg

WOOHOO!

Look what I found when I checked Sam's Club today -- the Sam's Club edition of the Intelivision Flashback!

Some pictures:

1) First picture -- the box

2) Second picture -- the Sam's Club logo saying it has extra overlays

3) Third Picture -- logo on box showing the extra overlays

The extra overlays are: Bowling, Chess, Space Battle, Sea Battle, and Sub Hunt

Also got the Atari Flashback 5 -- the bonus item for the Sam's Club edition are two paddles.

And the Colecovision Flashback I already picked up on Friday.

No time to try these out today, but I just wanted to post to let you folks know it's finally out!

Awesome!

They're wired and compatible with genuine hardware.

The joysticks however are the wireless IR junk for the Flashback 5 minus the Wal-Mart edition which has wired joysticks. Sadly, no option for wired joysticks and the paddles.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Atari FB 5 has paddles as a *bonus*? Are they 2600 compatible? Or more shitty IR wireless crap?

I started a new thread about the Sam's Club version of the Atari Flashback 5 in the Atari area, but yes, they are wired paddles. Only the Sam's Club version has them included, although the manual states you can buy paddles from AtGames through their website. They look and feel like real paddles from back in the day. The Flashback also supports two additional paddles (for a total of 4) so you can play 4 player games like Warlords. The paddles also have standard DB9 pinouts, so I believe you could use them on your PC through a USB adapter.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. It's the JOYSTICKS that call for the batteries. Oops. :P

Back on topic, I really like the look of the Intelivision Flashback! No need to order a label kit for this like with the Colecovision Flashback. :)

Quick question -- looking at the controller, it seems like it should be held with the disk facing DOWN at you, not up, like I had always seen in pictures, as the keypad numbers are arranged so that they are right side up if the disk is at the lower end. Is this correct?

Edited by SoulBlazer

Quick question -- looking at the controller, it seems like it should be held with the disk facing DOWN at you, not up, like I had always seen in pictures, as the keypad numbers are arranged so that they are right side up if the disk is at the lower end. Is this correct?

The Intellivision has the disc on the bottom, the ColecoVision has the control nub on the top like the Atari 5200.

• Like 1

They're wired and compatible with genuine hardware.

How can they be, if they require batteries to work? I find it hard to believe that the FB can't power a pair of these paddles through its DB9 port yet an original 2600 can, given how little juice modern electronics take. Was this just a bizarre design decision? Because my FB4 can power paddles sans batteries.

Fantastic! Now if we can just get Atgames to get their act together on INTV and CV controllers next time around, we could have a steady stream of replacements for everything.

Well, Nurmix sells the adapter for the Intelivision controllers cheaply, and you wouldn't WANT to use the Colecovision Flashback controllers on a real one. :lol:

Really, whose bright idea was it to have SIDE action buttons on these controllers?

I'm not going to get a chance to try the Intelivision Flashback until tomorrow but I'm very happy to finally have it!

Edited by SoulBlazer

I must say, the CVFB controllers cramp up my hands just as effectively as the originals. Maybe the controllers need to break in?

Also, did anyone notice the same 'dithering' effect with some text as on the Intellivision Flashback? Posted pics awhile back.

Haven't fired up the Atari FB5 yet. So far, the Intellivision wins hands, er, controllers down.

I was at Walmart today and they had Intellivision Flash Backs, Colecovision Flashbacks, Sega Genesis Flashbacks and Atari Flashbacks all for 39.96 as being on clearance, strange they think 4 cents cheaper then retail is a such a great deal to say they are considered a greatly reduced clearance price.

I only took a picture of the Intellivision and Colecovision flash backs because I wanted to show the Intellivision flashback and the price.

post-39025-0-00891400-1415065871_thumb.jpg