IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

Might be a little late but I got a promo code for Dollar General for 20% off today only RACEWIN20

Hopes that helps somebody

Forrest

Yep, helped me - thanks for posting it!

Just ordered my Intellivision & Colecovision Flashbacks, saved $16 with your promo code and even got free shipping to my door. Now I don't have to fight the Black Friday crowds - yay!

All I have to worry about now is whether the products actually work! ;)

Attention Canada, Bed Bath and Beyond has the Intellivision, Colecovision and Atari flashbacks listed for $49.99 on its website. Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not.

They're not only on their website. The Queensway location in Toronto has all the new Flashback systems in stock.

I had to cram a messload into my carry-on because I was overstuffed in my checked luggage - TWICE - to bring Flashbacks back to Canada. :mad:

I went to a real sketchy Toys R Us in Clarksville, IN to get the CV and Intelli FB units, while on a business trip in Louisville, KY. I picked up the Atari system today and might go back for the Sega console. They have the Sega handheld as well, but I already have the previous 80 game model, which is pretty much identical.

Edited by goldenegg

Canadians are so predictable, eh? On a trip to the US? Cross-border shopping for stuff we can't get at home! :D

I'm actually not really complaining too much. My INTV FB is the CGE edition which is more than worth the hassle. I don't own a lot of limited edition/autographed stuff, but this was just too cool to pass up.

Unfortunately there are no Dollar Generals nor Sam's Clubs on Maui, which is my next US destination. :( First world problems, right?

Canadians are so predictable, eh? On a trip to the US? Cross-border shopping for stuff we can't get at home! :D

I travel to the US very often for work, with many trips being to NYC where our head office is. I regularly place orders on Amazon.com and have stuff shipped to our office. When I go there, it's like Christmas :)

OK here is a full shot of the Shelves with the Flashback systems on them at Walmart, the Intellivision is still turned around like it was when I left it the day before so no one seems to be buying them so I don't know why others have problems finding them in stock at other stores.

Walmart in my town only has the Atari version of the Flashback. They've decided to display it in the Nintendo Wii section - probably took them a few minutes to decide where to put them. "Uh, is it a Nintendo or a Playstation?"

Edited by bkrownd
  • Like 1

Now the Flash Backs are 35 bucks at my local Wally World and they still have the 3 Intellivisions unsold so why does everyone make it seem like they are selling out fast and hard to find in stock?

I also saw Atari Flash Back 5s at my local kroger but no Intellivision, Colecovision or Genesis Flash Backs they did not have a price listed for the Atari flashbacks.

Maybe if the Intellivision Flashbacks drop to 20 or less I might get one but maybe not since the sound emulation is so bad and most of the games I like are not on it.

The only games on it I really like are

Astrosmash
Space Armada
Space Battle

Space Spartans

Auto Racing

Horse Racing

Body Slam: Super Pro Wrestling
Bowling

Motocross

Bomb Squad

Sub Hunt

Tower of Doom (But since it does not work it's kind of pointless to play it)

Brickout

Frog Bog

Hard Hat

Snafu

and what ever game is Dungeons and Dragons Cloudy Mountain was renamed to.

Maybe sometimes

Backgammon

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack (Because the Car shuffeling sound is so way off and horrible.)

Thin Ice because of he cool music but it sometimes is frustrating to get very far in the game because that dang Seal and Polar Bear keep killing me.

Triple Action

and maybe Thunder Castle but it takes so long to clear levels and gets to hard quickly all I really like is to hear the cool music in it but if they messed that up then there is not much reason to play it also the same with Shark Shark because of the cool game over song.

No Diner or any of the Arcade License games or even DK Arcade or even any of the Skiing games.

Won't play Baseball because of the totally reined Yer Out Sound which is what made the game what it is and was well know for.

Why no Skiing? More people would play Skiing then the boring Kids games Learning Fun 1 and 2.

post-39025-0-98599400-1415828876_thumb.jpg

Edited by daldude
  • Like 1

No Diner or any of the Arcade License games or even DK Arcade or even any of the Skiing games.

Why no Skiing? More people would play Skiing then the boring Kids games Learning Fun 1 and 2.

I'm sure Skiing is a good bet for future revisions, as are some of the third party titles, but I'm not sure how realistic getting Diner would be since it's not considered a canon Data East release. Obviously, anything from Nintendo, including any version of DK, will never ever happen on any non-Nintendo device, so it's not even worth thinking about.

• Like 1

I still need to buy one for myself now that dollar general versions are out, can anyone tell me how playable crown of kings is? (Advanced d&d cloudy mountain) i want to also get one for someone for christmas but snafu and advanced d&d cloudy mountain are the only two games she played on intellivision

I'm sure Skiing is a good bet for future revisions, as are some of the third party titles, but I'm not sure how realistic getting Diner would be since it's not considered a canon Data East release. Obviously, anything from Nintendo, including any version of DK, will never ever happen on any non-Nintendo device, so it's not even worth thinking about.

DK Arcade is not Nintendo, it's a Donkey Kong Clone and not called Donkey Kong and if it will never ever happen on any non-Nintendo device then why do I have it on my Intellivision and many others have it on their Intellivision that they bought in cartridge format not on the black market?

DK Arcade is not Nintendo, it's a Donkey Kong Clone and not called Donkey Kong and if it will never ever happen on any non-Nintendo device then why do I have it on my Intellivision and many others have it on their Intellivision that they bought in cartridge format not on the black market?

It doesn't matter. It's not going to happen. Too risky. It's one thing to do a low production run homebrew and safely stay under the radar, it's another to do so on a mass market product, particularly for something that's so close to the original. As you no doubt well know, even some low profile homebrews have gotten notice from the wrong people and have been shut down. It's also why we'll likely never see games like Tron: Deadly Discs even in their "Deadly Dogs" versions. You can't mess around with IP when you're a legitimate business.

Actually, you bought it on the black market, directly from the home-brew producer (or in eBay), not in any mass market retail channel.

• Like 1

Because Nintendo has not been made aware of it.

Trust me, they will sue the pants off of the publisher if they ever find out. Nintendo does not, if you'll pardon the French, let people fuck around with their property. EVER. I'm astounded they haven't done anything about it yet to be honest. They've sued over much lighter IP infringement. And this one was an actual retail, profit-making endeavor.

Or perhaps Elektronite is the first indie operation in the history of video games to have Big N's blessing on something like this. I'm pretty sure it was not legally licensed - if you guys think the Boulder Dash IP owner is strict...

Because Nintendo has not been made aware of it.

Trust me, they will sue the pants off of the publisher if they ever find out. Nintendo does not, if you'll pardon the French, let people fuck around with their property. EVER. I'm astounded they haven't done anything about it yet to be honest. They've sued over much lighter IP infringement. And this one was an actual retail, profit-making endeavor.

Or perhaps Elektronite is the first indie operation in the history of video games to have Big N's blessing on something like this. I'm pretty sure it was not legally licensed - if you guys think the Boulder Dash IP owner is strict...

As far as I know Carl was at Nintendo headquarters (he lives in Japan) to get the permission for DK Arcade. They ignored him.

But for a distribution on a Flashback that could be totally different.

Edited by Intymike

As far as I know Carl was at Nintendo headquarters (he lives in Japan) to get the permission for DK Arcade. They ignored him.

But for a distribution on a Flashback that could be totally different.

That may be very well, but did he get in touch with their legal department? That's actually how it works. Standing at the lobby and saying "I'm here to ask you permission to port Donkey Kong" is not really seeking license.

I work at a large global banking institution and I know that if someone comes to the lobby unannounced and asks to see the CEO or any executive directly without an appointment, they will be ignored too. That's just how the corporate world works. It means nothing, really.

That may be very well, but did he get in touch with their legal department? That's actually how it works. Standing at the lobby and saying "I'm here to ask you permission to port Donkey Kong" is not really seeking license.

I work at a large global banking institution and I know that if someone comes to the lobby unannounced and asks to see the CEO or any executive directly without an appointment, they will be ignored too. That's just how the corporate world works. It means nothing, really.

I think Nintendo stays quiet as long as it's this small homebrew market.

There are so many ports for all kinds of retro consoles and computers of Nintendo games.Last week was just a new donkey Kong Jr. for the C64 released. I never heard that someone got sued by Nintendo.

I think Nintendo stays quiet as long as it's this small homebrew market.

There are so many ports for all kinds of retro consoles and computers of Nintendo games.Last week was just a new donkey Kong Jr. for the C64 released. I never heard that someone got sued by Nintendo.

Agreed. The point is that the Flash-Back is a mass-market retail product that plays by the official rules of the game, and will not release an unlicensed product. That home-brewers have done it in the past without direct consequences is not an excuse and does not in itself means the licensor has given permission. I believe we agree on this too.

-dZ.