IGNORED

Ice-T XE 2.76 released

itaych

Hi Guys, I have a problem using ICE-T under SDX with APE, when starting ICET.COM, R: is not loaded automatically using APE, while normally when I boot ICE-T from MYDOS ATR there's no such problem. Any hint?

Can you perhaps post a directory of the disk you are using? Some versions of IceT have the device handler pre-pended to the executable. Others, have just the "raw" Ice-T program and require the driver to be loaded first. When using APE, you will want to use the standard 850 driver. Since my SDX setup is rather customized (I always run in 80 column mode, with TD on, etc.) I have a BAT file which cleans up the environment first, loads the driver, then loads Ice-T. It does work great with SDX and APE, it's all I use.

Hi Guys, I have a problem using ICE-T under SDX with APE, when starting ICET.COM, R: is not loaded automatically using APE, while normally when I boot ICE-T from MYDOS ATR there's no such problem. Any hint?

Sure. Read the "getting started" section of the doc. :)

dead project.. nobody uses internet on atari.. because - games only.. omg

this is a VT1xx terminal client, which can be used over RS232. This is a program just like Bobterm, but now with ANSI (color) and 80 column width.

1) I use this program a lot

2) It is amazing, one of my most favorite tools ever

3) It is not an TCP/IP stack compatible tool

So what are you complaining about?

Edited by ProWizard

this is a VT1xx terminal client, which can be used over RS232. This is a program just like Bobterm, but now with ANSI (color) and 80 column width.

i know, its amazing, i love that program.. but most atarian dont interested.. because - gamers

i know, its amazing, i love that program.. but most atarian dont interested.. because - gamers

But you call it a dead project and you started about internet on the atari...

Wrong thread perhaps?

And what is wrong with games? If there were no video games, Atari wouldn't have existed in the first place.

i dont see any progres.. ice-t is fantastic program, i love it

with games is nothing wrong, but 99% atarians are interested only for games, nothing else.. if more people (then you and I) use this program, author making new releases and add features

• 1 month later...

Okay, I have an interesting one.

I am unable to interact with certain services with ICET that I can with FlickerTerm.

A really easy example is to connect to port 80 of any webserver and enter:

GET /

Another is to telnet to rainmaker.wunderground.com to check the weather.

With ICET you'll never get anywhere, it'll just sit there for ever.

I am able to use this stuff with FlickerTerm by setting "CR out" to "CR + LF".
I notice that ICET has a setting for EoL, but changing the settings don't seem to change the behaviour, at least in examples like the above.

Is there something I can do to further help test/diagnose this?

Did you develop it using some Version Control System ike CVS, SVN or Git? Are you willing to publish the source code?

Ice-T was mostly developed in my bedroom as a teenager with an Atari 130XE. I knew nothing of these three letter acronyms of which you speak and even if I did there was no practical way for me to use them :) .. During a few years that I continued development (2012-2014 or so) I simply kept a snapshot of every release.

I published the source code to version 2.72 (released in 1997) here. It's not very pretty and much of it has been changed or even rewritten since then, but I haven't published the newer sources - and I think no one even asked for them. Perhaps I will with the next major release (any decade now).

I am unable to interact with certain services with ICET that I can with FlickerTerm.

[..]

I am able to use this stuff with FlickerTerm by setting "CR out" to "CR + LF".

Ice-T was designed as a VT-100 (now 102/52/ANSI) emulator, not a general Telnet client. The standard behavior for these devices is to send a CR when the user hits Return. It's nice that FlickerTerm allows to change this, at the time I saw no need for this. (Remember Ice-T was written first, I didn't have FT to compare to, and nothing that I tested against needed it.) I wish it were trivial to add this feature, but nothing is simple when your project is written in assembly.

The EOL setting you mention governs how Ice-T interprets incoming codes, not outgoing. I've managed to interact with websites and the weather site you mention by using Ctrl-J where you'd press Return. Note that if you want to see what you're typing enable Local Echo.

• Like 3

Ice-T was designed as a VT-100 (now 102/52/ANSI) emulator, not a general Telnet client. The standard behavior for these devices is to send a CR when the user hits Return. It's nice that FlickerTerm allows to change this, at the time I saw no need for this. (Remember Ice-T was written first, I didn't have FT to compare to, and nothing that I tested against needed it.) I wish it were trivial to add this feature, but nothing is simple when your project is written in assembly.

The EOL setting you mention governs how Ice-T interprets incoming codes, not outgoing. I've managed to interact with websites and the weather site you mention by using Ctrl-J where you'd press Return. Note that if you want to see what you're typing enable Local Echo.

Understood, and I suspected that may have been an incoming setting vs outgoing.

That said, Ctrl-J will work well enough for me! Thanks for the pointer.

--Jason

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's one of my lantronix peeves , the use of / , : etc for port from model to model... some boxes like atdtip some like atdt ip.... grrr... I was contemplating doing a lantronix only what you need thread for each model, and specifically what you need to set it up using the Atari by istelf and for two purposes... to dial out or to run a bbs... I noticed someone posted the boxes only establish a raw connection in some other thread... this is not true... on an mss100 it depends on the port you use as to what protocol is enacted.... this was done to keep compatibility and to allow protocols to stay out of the way for binary transfers etc.... you most certainly can observe the differences or select the protocol a number or different ways depending on the box.... ie atdt xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxt atdt xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxu etc etc.... you can select the tunnel protocol you wish to use by port and assign it in config... this all gets very messy and I suggest you get what you can from the lantronix site while you can... stuff is disappearing.... like the domain name patch.... posts and just recently pages on the site itself... you may need to try to get what you want a couple of different links or ways to be successful.... also check the ftp site.... Scrounge up what you can even if it makes your head swim... If need be later someone who mucks about might need it to help you or someone you know... they will gladly accept the documentation and will figure out what to do with it.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...