IGNORED

Original ColecoVision Power Supply Repair *looking for feedback*

Yurkie

I was thinking offering either repaired power supplies for sale or excepting a non-working + $ for a repaired one.

I am thinking $35 return shipping included for exchanging a non-working for a repaired unit would be pretty resonable. That may seem like alot but parts + shipping is going to eat up about $15 of that leaving me with $20 for my time.

You would send me an untampered with non-working power supply with no cord damage, data face plate in place and cosmetically good condition. I would send you a repaired and re-capped working power supply for $35.

The 30+ year old electrolypic capacitors seem to be a contributing factor of the power supplies not working as they should. What I would offer is a repaired power supply with all 7 of these caps replaced + whatever else is needed to get the power supply working properly.

The repaired power supply should be better than an original that still works since it has new parts.

I have a good method of opening them at the seem where the 2 halves come together pretty cleanly. About all I need to be ready to sell/offer as a trade-in is an adhesive to bond the 2 halves back together with strong original like hold.

My main question is do you think this is reasonable? Are you interested personally? I know cheaper is always better, but price has to make it worth my while?

• Like 1

I would be interested, but probably more interested in buying a recapped power supply than in trading my existing one in.

The problem is, that I really don't want to go around looking for non-working power supplies to fix and sell, this is where the trade-in makes a huge difference. It is not just recapped. It is repaired and recapped.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I've wonder why the VRAM screws up when you touch the cord or the socket. At least replugging the console helps reset the VRAM and able to load stuff on to it. I'm also considering getting one of your modded system, so at least I have one for a back-up with AV output.

Why bother repairing a 30+ year old CV PS when you can buy brand new arcade power supplies for around $15 or less all day long? :?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Power-supply-5v-12v-/261290420972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd61f6aec

Ideally a new power supply such as the Arcade P.S. you link would be a good option, but it would cost $23 shipped and then you would still have to supply the power cord/plug from a CV P.S. seeing as it's an odd-sized connector. So really, for an additional $12 and your shipping expense to Toledo, Yurkie's proposed repair service with trade-in of a bad unit isn't such a bad idea and we keep all the original Coleco units out of the garbage dumps.

• Like 1

I've wonder why the VRAM screws up when you touch the cord or the socket. At least replugging the console helps reset the VRAM and able to load stuff on to it. I'm also considering getting one of your modded system, so at least I have one for a back-up with AV output.

The VRAM uses all three voltages, hence why that happens. There's a fairly simple mod you can do to convert the ColecoVision to use standard 5V-only VRAM, it not totally eliminates that problem, but also makes the system far more reliable.

Just not modding ColecoVisions. Looking for some new things. Saving power supplies seems like a good thing.

I just don't know why you didn't offer both right from the beginning. It doesn't seem to make much sense to offer one and not the other, but it's your time not mine. Needless to say, I would be interested since I have two working ColecoVisions (one of which you modded) and two non-working power supplies.

Ideally a new power supply such as the Arcade P.S. you link would be a good option, but it would cost $23 shipped and then you would still have to supply the power cord/plug from a CV P.S. seeing as it's an odd-sized connector. So really, for an additional $12 and your shipping expense to Toledo, Yurkie's proposed repair service with trade-in of a bad unit isn't such a bad idea and we keep all the original Coleco units out of the garbage dumps.

I wasn't thinking of adding that flaky, proprietary, CV connector. I would just hardwire the arcade PS to the CV internal wiring. Heck, there's enough empty space inside the CV case that you could probably remove the arcade PS from it's casing and stick it inside the CV case. Underneath the controller wells it's all empty IIRC and could accomodate a board.

• Like 1

If Yurkie can do a solid reliable power brick mod i'll buy two right away and I have one (maybe two if I can find it) bricks that are non-functional that I can send to him.

I've got three CV consoles and one functional power brick.

Opcode should have done a CV console remake with an internal power supply & connection.

I wasn't thinking of adding that flaky, proprietary, CV connector. I would just hardwire the arcade PS to the CV internal wiring. Heck, there's enough empty space inside the CV case that you could probably remove the arcade PS from it's casing and stick it inside the CV case. Underneath the controller wells it's all empty IIRC and could accomodate a board.

Ahh. You got that right about there being plenty of room inside the CV to make additions such as a Power Supply. Here's a pic of one that someone did... I think it was Ikrananka's. Just from a Retroists point of view, it would be nice to save all these defective CV power supplies.

post-25956-0-26596100-1382048974_thumb.jpg

Ahh. You got that right about there being plenty of room inside the CV to make additions such as a Power Supply. Here's a pic of one that someone did... I think it was Ikrananka's. Just from a Retroists point of view, it would be nice to save all these defective CV power supplies.

Yep - that one was mine. By year end I will provide instructions on how to do this mod. This will definitely be more expensive that Yurkie's proposed repair service.