IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto 2600

adamchevy

No problem. I assume this topic has probably been brought up before. Maybe I should make this my first programming challenge. Batari Basic looks pretty interesting. It certainly would give me a reason to learn. I'm thinking about starting with assembly language before I go the batari basic route, but I'm not sure what the best way to begin programming for the 2600 is.

No problem. I assume this topic has probably been brought up before. Maybe I should make this my first programming challenge. Batari Basic looks pretty interesting. It certainly would give me a reason to learn. I'm thinking about starting with assembly language before I go the batari basic route, but I'm not sure what the best way to begin programming for the 2600 is.

If you are smart, use assembly language. If your IQ is fairly low, use batari Basic. :D

• Like 1

I wish! I started programming in high school with c++, and continued using it in college. But it's been a few years, so programming in any language is going to be a learning experience. I noticed princess rescue was made with batari. Thats a pretty impressive game.

To answer your original question, yes. Atarius Maximus has an early work in progress available on his website. It's also posted here on the forums somewhere. It uses bB and showed promise, so hopefully it will get a little more attention once his Jungle Adventure (an incredible looking work in progress) is finished.

I got pretty confused when I googled that title. Are you also Moon Goon?

You probably found my idea for a compo entry on TIGSource. I changed my competition entry at least twice and ended up making a Super Pitfall de-make. I'm not sure where the source code is for Chalice City (was a PC game).

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2398.0

batari BASIC is an excellent platform to rapidly bring your game ideas to life. It also eases you in to the concept of kernels and cycle counting.

Was this game released? It looks really cool

Thanks! It's pre-release. The game is done. There are plans floating around including having it be a pack-in with the actual movie Dead of Knight. Albert demoed it at the PRGE: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210204-any-homebrew-programmers-for-hire/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2843052

This is also a batari BASIC made title. I hope adamchevy gets the message that bB can make free world/open map games.

Just re-posting because my previous post, where I answered the initial question, appears to have been completely overlooked. ...and since we all know that no one bothers to even read the last post of a topic, let alone several posts up, I'm afraid my plug for Atarius Maximus' game will garner exactly zero attention. Check out the link to his site and scroll down until you find "Grand Theft Atari". It looked promising.

When I click on that link, I get this warning message:

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.bjars.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

When I click on that link, I get this warning message:

There is also an option to ignore the warning. Sites often get erroneously flagged when an advertiser embeds something from another "attack site" into the web page.

Here's a direct download to the file:

http://www.bjars.com/original/gta.bin

Basically, you hit pedestrians with your car to increase the body count.

Edited by stardust4ever

Just re-posting because my previous post, where I answered the initial question, appears to have been completely overlooked. ...and since we all know that no one bothers to even read the last post of a topic, let alone several posts up, I'm afraid my plug for Atarius Maximus' game will garner exactly zero attention. Check out the link to his site and scroll down until you find "Grand Theft Atari". It looked promising.

You stated something factual and relevant in your first post. Sometimes a post isn't getting ignored: it just speaks for itself so well no one can dog it or praise it without being redundant and uninformative.

I was hoping to get the O.P. interested in making games. We need more creative people making new experiences.. er, even if we're trying to regurgitate GTA on a platform ill suited towards it :)

I have given some thought about your post about the 2600 being a bad platform for GTA and I agree. I read another post about having solid documentation and some planning before just throwing out programming ideas. I clearly am a newbie and need to learn to program for the 2600 and learn its capabilities before throwing out an idea. I am sincerely interested in programming for the 2600 and I am sure I will have questions along the way. I apologize for just throwing out an idea without proper knowledge of the platform.

I have given some thought about your post about the 2600 being a bad platform for GTA and I agree. I read another post about having solid documentation and some planning before just throwing out programming ideas. I clearly am a newbie and need to learn to program for the 2600 and learn its capabilities before throwing out an idea. I am sincerely interested in programming for the 2600 and I am sure I will have questions along the way. I apologize for just throwing out an idea without proper knowledge of the platform.

No apologies needed, mate! If I didn't love the constraints of the 2600 I'd be making big bucks a dollar at a time on iOS or Android :)

The fascinating thing about programming the 2600 is that it forces you to come up with novel ideas and solutions. Many times you base a whole game off of such fare.

Cramming a PS2 game into a machine without a frame buffer is fine too :)

Top down display style would work. That's essentially what retro City Rampage did (giant GTA clone), which started out as an NES homebrew before being ported to PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, and Wiiware.

The roads could easily be composed of playfield sprites, and the car could shoot missiles at pedestrians, or just run them over. With two missiles and a ball, there's support for up to three bullets onscreen without flicker or intelligent multiplexing of sprites. The GTA clone on Atari would have to play more like an hybrid between combat and a top-down racing game, and less like a Platformer or FPS. I'm not sure how you would handle objectives though. It would need enemies capable of destroying your character, and actual missions you can pass or fail, to play like an actual arcade game rather than the tech demo linked above.