IGNORED

Yurkie's 7800 Controller Ball-mod, thumbs up.

wood_jl

I sent a couple 7800 controllers to AtariAge user Yurkie (Colecovision Modder Extaordinaire) and got the ball mod that is similar to what he's done to the Colecovision controller. The mod helps with the ergonomics of this imperfect controller, remarkably! The significant shortening of the stick makes it so much more comfortable, I actually don't mind using this controller anymore.

The Colecovision controller and the 7800 controller both leave a lot to be desired. The main problem seems to be the stick, and in opposite ways on the two consoles. On the Colecovision, it's just way too short, and with the flat top there's nothing to grip. Yurkie's ball mod effectively makes the stick taller and there's something to grip.

On the 7800, the stick is just way too tall. In one hand, you're holding the controller. The other hand is ham-handedly placed on top of the tall stick, which introduces 2 problems: (1) The controller seems to have too long of a throw. Naturally, because of the big arc formed by swinging around a long lever. (2) Moving that long lever torques on the controller, which you're gripping in the other hand. Because it is necessary to keep a couple fingers on the fire buttons, you can't grip controller with your entire hand, only a fraction of it. This action of torquing on the thing with the long stick and steadying it with the weaker parts of the other hand make for some bad ergonomics, in my opinion.

So the shortening of the stick nets a huge benefit! The thumb and index finger can be used to easily actuate the shortened throw of the stick, and the other three fingers can sort of cradle the body of the controller so you're holding it with both hands. The throw on stick is shorter (and thus the action quicker) and no more "torquing" on the thing.

There never seems to be a shortage of discussion of 7800 controller alternatives - modded NES pads, the actual 7800 Euro-pad (would like to try one one day), modded Radica Space Invaders plug-and-play, etc. This shortened ball-modded stick should be on the short list. The 7800 controller wasn't perfect to start and never will be, but this really moves the thing in the right direction so much that I have quit reaching for the 2600 controller at every opportunity (1-button games) to stave off extreme discomfort.

post-16281-0-80216700-1383294015_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-31805100-1383294024_thumb.jpg

I bought a pair of these........

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2513682800791?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=251368280079&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

........new-old-stock-but-no-package sticks from Ebay to start with, since it didn't seem worth sending in funky old worn-out ones. It's $20 + $8 shipping for the pair. I was first searching Ebay for "Atari 7800 controller" and never saw the lising, but did see a ton of overpriced stock 7800 controllers, most of them used, and most of them for more money than these. These come up in a search for "Atari 7800 joystick."

My $.02. These modded sticks are definitely worth trying.

• Like 1

Interesting. I wanted to like the 7800 controllers but just can't. I got the Euro pads, but they are not as good to use as the Genesis or NES type pads. The D pad just isn't as good.

It's why most of the time I avoid playing 7800 games that require the second fire button. I stick with one button games and use my 2600 controller.

Hmmm… maybe modding the Best Electronics versions would be even better since they have the rapid fire switch built in too but those mods look fantastic. My only problem with the Pro Controllers historically has been with fire button 2 [the right button]. Despite not being used as much as fire button 1, it tended to wear out more from my experience. It infuriated me with Xevious.

Does Yurkie still make those controllers?

How can you get 1?

I mean 2 !

Id want a fresh one other than risking getting ripped off on ebay.

It looks like its perfect for the the 7800 Pacman, Ms Pacman, PacmanJr, etc etc etc games.

I want and need.

Thanks.

Edited by Stun Runner 87

I hand built this, If i make another ill let you know, Its very high grade finish even down to a made up serial number

Thats a beautiful piece of machinery.

I noticed you have a european formatted 7800.

Is the controller you created workable on the north American 7800 format?

If so, i would be very interested if you do happen to make more.

Thanks for the reply.

Nice pics..........

That thing is awesome, but the Yurkie mod is cheap. The new (standard) joysticks are cheap on Ebay. That's the reason for my posting. Yurkie does the mod for a reasonable price, and the [standard] joysticks are available cheap.

Modded NES controllers (etc) are somewhat more expensive. There's always going to be ongoing research into alleviating 7800 controller difficulties. Fortunately, whether Yurkie's mods, and modded NES control pad, a Radica Space Invaders modded-into a 7800 controller, a custom one-off 7800 controller, whatever - it's still light years beyond the 5200 controller situation!

Thats a beautiful piece of machinery.

I noticed you have a european formatted 7800.

Is the controller you created workable on the north American 7800 format?

If so, i would be very interested if you do happen to make more.

Thanks for the reply.

Nice pics..........

There is absolutely no difference in anything as with regards to the controllers in different territory machines, The only differences are obviously in the display, Im gonna make a 2600 version next and then ill come back to 7800 ones.

That thing is awesome, but the Yurkie mod is cheap. The new (standard) joysticks are cheap on Ebay. That's the reason for my posting. Yurkie does the mod for a reasonable price, and the [standard] joysticks are available cheap.

Modded NES controllers (etc) are somewhat more expensive. There's always going to be ongoing research into alleviating 7800 controller difficulties. Fortunately, whether Yurkie's mods, and modded NES control pad, a Radica Space Invaders modded-into a 7800 controller, a custom one-off 7800 controller, whatever - it's still light years beyond the 5200 controller situation!

I have seen these adapters for the 5200 that allow you to plug in a genesis controller and anything with a normal serial port, I dont know why people arent more switched on to this its a simple and obvious fix.

Thanks wood_jl for the nice comments.

While I have no affiliation with the Ebay seller that offers the NOS set of 7800 controllers, he has been gracious enough to ship directly to me when people buy from him. Starting with NOS controllers is really the way to go, as I do not repair non-working controllers I only install the ball mod.

I charge $10 for 1 or $15 for 2 + return shipping which is going to be about $8 in the US. $28 + $23, so your looking at about $51 total to have a great set of controllers if the seller will direct ship. I looked on Ebay and here is a link to the NOS controllers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-NEW-Mint-Atari-2600-7800-Joysticks-NEW-OLD-STOCK-NOT-Reproductions-OEM-/251378978990?

• Like 2

Thanks wood_jl for the nice comments.

While I have no affiliation with the Ebay seller that offers the NOS set of 7800 controllers, he has been gracious enough to ship directly to me when people buy from him. Starting with NOS controllers is really the way to go, as I do not repair non-working controllers I only install the ball mod.

I charge $10 for 1 or $15 for 2 + return shipping which is going to be about $8 in the US. $28 + $23, so your looking at about $51 total to have a great set of controllers if the seller will direct ship. I looked on Ebay and here is a link to the NOS controllers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-NEW-Mint-Atari-2600-7800-Joysticks-NEW-OLD-STOCK-NOT-Reproductions-OEM-/251378978990?

Not to bust your business but I'd like DIY, can I venture that you have found a safe way to strip out the original plastic stick (it's already using a metal rod inside) and either cut it short or if it is already short screw/glue a ball handle on it?

Again not trying to ruin your business I'd just like to try it myself, the long stick is a killer it ends up making the user put too much strain on the holding hand.

I also have a couple of CX78 and the button placement sucks, they are more usable that the std NTSC sticks but a far cry from a genesis pad (which I use for 2600 games and with my XEGS)

Not to bust your business but I'd like DIY, can I venture that you have found a safe way to strip out the original plastic stick (it's already using a metal rod inside) and either cut it short or if it is already short screw/glue a ball handle on it?

Again not trying to ruin your business I'd just like to try it myself, the long stick is a killer it ends up making the user put too much strain on the holding hand.

I also have a couple of CX78 and the button placement sucks, they are more usable that the std NTSC sticks but a far cry from a genesis pad (which I use for 2600 games and with my XEGS)

Why dont you just try it then??

Why dont you just try it then??

I guess my choice of wording was poor and sounded full of contempt, my apologies, it was not the intent.

But yes I will try, I guess I wanted to know how hard it is to separate the plastic handle from the supporting metal rod.

I see 2 possibilities :

1) the plastic handle can be extracted out (maybe thru heat)

2) it cannot

If 2 given how long the stick is I can just cut at the required length and take care of chipping away the leftover plastic.

Given it seems to be a pretty cheap mod I suspect that there's a quick and easy way to get the old plastic handle out of its rod.

Anybody can confirm?

Again sorry if sometimes I sound like I'm full of it .

(truth be told my eyes are brown so over the years I questioned if I'm actually full of it)

I guess my choice of wording was poor and sounded full of contempt, my apologies, it was not the intent.

But yes I will try, I guess I wanted to know how hard it is to separate the plastic handle from the supporting metal rod.

I see 2 possibilities :

2) it cannot

If 2 given how long the stick is I can just cut at the required length and take care of chipping away the leftover plastic.

Given it seems to be a pretty cheap mod I suspect that there's a quick and easy way to get the old plastic handle out of its rod.

Anybody can confirm?

(truth be told my eyes are brown so over the years I questioned if I'm actually full of it)

Its cool man i wasn't knocking your response what i meant was just give it a go, Im not taking anything away from what Yurkie does as people obviously like it, But yes like all controllers there is a metal rod running through it of which you can easily hack saw the top off and remove the casing, Give it a go and liberate all your wonderings.

• 1 month later...

I see 2 possibilities :

2) it cannot

Anybody can confirm?

Maybe PM him would be a better route...

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys.....just got the ball-modded controller recently and had a chance last night to actually use it for a while. I gotta say, I can't really tell the difference between that and the ProLine. :( Hand still gets fatigued easily when using either fire button. I'm not trying to dis Yurkie, believe me, but with my experience, I'm not really experiencing any improvement....except that now if I want to, I can play a non-firing game with just one hand, which is kinda cool...and the modded stick DOES look pretty damn slick, I gotta say...

But what am I doing wrong?? Is there a certain way you guys recommend to hold the thing???

Hand still gets fatigued easily when using either fire button.

The mod fixes the torque with the joystick, but will do nothing for the fire buttons. The fatigue you feel firing buttons will still be present, but fatigue/hand-cramping via joystick movement is brought down tremendously and the reason for the recommendation.

Marathon sessions with (Ms.) Pac-Man (Collection) and the soon to be released Bentley Bear really highlights the benefit, as does any other game with quick or/and sudden movements of the stick over a considerable amount of time.