IGNORED

Atari 400 Aftermarket Replacement Keyboard Thread

wood_jl

On 7/27/2022 at 1:03 AM, Ghostie said:

I designed some myself. Since How I laid everything out the keycaps need to be about 14x14mm.

If the ones I made don't turn out I'll search  around for some pre made ones.

If you know of any key caps that would work let me know! ^-^

image.thumb.png.77ed6d1f28b02f5198581b4c670c995f.png

image.png

is this 3d printing?

15 hours ago, pkriek said:

Great work! I have also a 400 without working KB. So this could be a fix :) , which switches did you sue for it???

I Used Gateron ks-27 switches. Cheap low profile and a nice smooth feel.
And yes I'm getting the keycaps resin printed via a JLC (The same company I had make the boards).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ghostie said:

16593884928591404985815303906981.jpg

Looking at it with the keys attached, I'm kinda digging the all-black aesthetic.  Opens up a lot of options for how to do the keycaps without straight-up visually reproducing the ones that were on the membrane keyboard. Nice.

• Like 1

Hello all, sorry for the absence.  Got busy around the holiday and got delayed a bit.  The good news is we've got a website up.  We have parts on order, and have about 60% of the things we need.  We have an order in for PCBs that are currently being manufactured, and should have them by the end of this week/early next week.

There are a few adjustments that are being made to our offerings.  We're no longer going to sell assembled keyboards.  We have other projects we'd like to move on to.  Also it just isn't feasible for us to 3D print the keyboard backplates.  I'm not happy with the quality of my prints, and cannot custom order prints with the colors I want for a reasonable price.  The .stl of the backplate is available on our website.  I figured ya'll would want to pick your own color anyways ?.

We've also made a low profile design that utilizes Kailh Choc V1/V2's.  Loved the design from user Ghostie.  We settled on 1u spacing for the switches.  When we started the project we wanted to go with a low profile design, but felt Cherry MX would be easier for folks to find compatible switches/keycaps.  For the system keys, installing the 1u caps on the switch stem requires drilling a hole in the bottom of the switch.  This allows you to fix the stem in place while pressing down on the cap.  Otherwise you will need system keys that are the same outer dimensions of the key, like Ghostie had custom made.   We had trouble figuring out a stabilizer, but found Costar designs work well with low profile switches in a PCB mount configuration.

Please take a look at the website, feedback is welcomed.  Once PCB's arrive, orders on the website will go live.  We'll be ready sometime next week.  All relevant project files have been included on the product pages.  Cheers.  https://mobeets.com/

Edited by metrologia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, Ghostie said:

I have made the keycap graphics. Now it's just a waiting game for everything to arrive. 

KeyCaps.png

After these are attached to the keycaps I would recommend clear spray paint or nail polish as a protective coating.

The custom keycap labels could also include the ATASCII graphics characters, like the following image I found online:

042-Atari-800-control-graphics-keyboard.thumb.jpg.10354e3d3987a7f31046625bc28659fe.jpg

Edited by BillC
  • Like 2

Alright here's all the files in one place.
The PNG is the decals that I laser printed onto waterslide paper.
KeyCaps.png.93c615eb4fd18028fa3281ae892681c4.thumb.png.f2cfcedb15f94371678fea11b55d9285.png
The Atari400Keyboardv0.1.5 Gerber.zip and Atari_400_Keyboard_v0.1.5.zip go to the Keyboard pcb. I made them in LibrePCB if you wanted to edit them.

The Spacebar.stl and CAPS.stl I had resin printed.

For both the resin printing and PCB manufacturing I went through JLC PCB they were cheap and have some great results.

Hope this helps someone! ^-^

I'll post a pic of all the keys with their decals applied in a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That's awesome!  I had no idea you could print your own waterslide decals.

Yes. I had know idea about this as well. Cool. There is a still in production 1/16 scale 1979 Pontiac Trans Am model that I wanted to build in a couple of different colors but they only give you two firebird decals (one blue and one gold I think.) Now I can scan the decals and change the colors and print them out in waterslide paper.

Thanks, @Ghostie

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Allan said:

Yes. I had know idea about this as well. Cool. There is a still in production 1/16 scale 1979 Pontiac Trans Am model that I wanted to build in a couple of different colors but they only give you two firebird decals (one blue and one gold I think.) Now I can scan the decals and change the colors and print them out in waterslide paper.

Thanks, @Ghostie

Yes - model cars was my exact thought!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghostie said:

A few keys are crooked because I was a bit sloppy soldering them but overall I think It turned out nice!

On a project like this, I feel that the holes for the switches should be a very tight tolerance so they kinda press fit into place. That way there would be no opportunity for them to rotate before soldering.

• Like 2

Hello all, we have some product listed on mobeets.com.  It's limited for now until we get some more parts in stock.  We ordered a small amount up front just to test the waters, and see the interest we get.  We're only shipping to the US & Canada right now.  If you are in another country and would like to purchase a kit, please reach us through the contact form and we'll try our best to accommodate.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, mytek said:

On a project like this, I feel that the holes for the switches should be a very tight tolerance so they kinda press fit into place. That way there would be no opportunity for them to rotate before soldering.

If you are making a PCB with any profile other than MX then that definitely seems like the ideal way to go. From the handful of different branded MX switches I've tested in the past, the bottom physical dimensions just vary way to much to nail down the fitment that well.

Best way to do it is to get switches that have the PCB mount pegs within the footprint that "force" the alignment. I put force in quotes only because you can still run into issues where the PCB mount pegs don't snugly fit into the sockets.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:55 PM, metrologia said:

Hello all, we have some product listed on mobeets.com.  It's limited for now until we get some more parts in stock.  We ordered a small amount up front just to test the waters, and see the interest we get.  We're only shipping to the US & Canada right now.  If you are in another country and would like to purchase a kit, please reach us through the contact form and we'll try our best to accommodate.

I'm interested in the low profile Atari 400 Replacement Kailh Choc V1/V2 version and noticed online that you only accept Visa. Any chance you could also do Paypal?

Clint.

Edit......orders in! Thanks for adding Paypal.

Edited by cornchip

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - I built up the Mobeets.com keyboards.

Here's the one with the low profile Kailh Choc switches. 

I used a full set of keycaps from Aliexpress for the V1 Choc switches.   The spacebar was narrow for the stabilizer slots though and I ended up using springs under it. It needs a wider bar or the pcb may need revision if this set is common.  

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832794671800.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.f2f71802m6AHBe&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

I then labeled them with the Atari sticker set.  (Some needed to be trimmed down to 1U)

https://www.4keyboard.com/commodore-keyboard-stickers/591-commodore-atari-non-transparent-keyboard-stickers.html

So a few bumps along the way but it turned out quite well.

400 keyboard Choc.jpeg

• Like 12

• 10 months later...