IGNORED

IMPORTANT ATARI KICK STARTER CLOSE TO ENDING UNFUNDED!

YANDMAN

Hi guys if you haven't already then you should take a look at this, These guys are looking to make a really well informed documentary about ATARI they are a way of their funding goal which isnt huge and they have a couple days to get their, I think this could be really good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1128229743/world-1-1

Curious how more or less it will (would) be compared to the information contained here... http://ataribook.com/book/ ...as the part of project they are looking to have funded at this time is:

"...about the early years including Atari and how they helped to create a new industry. It focuses on the business deals, the personalities of the pioneers, and the creations of the engineers. This documentary will be a combination of interviews, archival footage, and reflection that retells the story to a new generation that may not know the roots of their favorite hobby."

There's already another thread on this Kickstarter. As I said in the other thread, we are seeing saturation with video game documentaries: The Video Craze and Space Invaders: In Search of Lost Time came out this year and another successfully funded Kickstarter for The King of Arcades is coming out soon. Yet another Kickstarter for Man Vs. Snake was successfully funded a couple of months ago.

Good luck with the Kickstarter, but I'm sitting this one out. Don't mean to piss in the Cheerios, but I've had my fill of opening my wallet for video game documentaries.

The one thing which is a total missed opportunity is that neither of the film makers talk in their pledge video, Im gonna back it and take a chance, Without wishing to sound morbid but people are not going to be around forever and i think its a great idea to get this really well documented.

Let me add this: for me it's all about timing. If the film makers would have had this Kickstarter back in 2011 I would have supported it - no question. But, I'm not seeing anything new here - others have beaten them to it.

If you have not purchased any of the other films I mentioned previously, then yes, please back this Kickstarter.

I would be interested but don't have much confidence that they can produce this documentary with only $15k. They have a lot of interesting interviews lined up but they seem to be saying they won't be able to do them all with the goal they have set.

"

Challenges

The challenges involved in production is the scheduling of all the interviewees for filming. The more money that we have, the more we can afford to meet with everyone and manage scheduling conflicts. If we receive the minimum, we will decide who we will interview and create the best movie with this footage. The more funds we receive, the more creative freedom we have to make the best movie possible."

Let me add this: for me it's all about timing. If the film makers would have had this Kickstarter back in 2011 I would have supported it - no question. But, I'm not seeing anything new here - others have beaten them to it.

If you have not purchased any of the other films I mentioned previously, then yes, please back this Kickstarter.

I have all of those films and im in the King of arcades if only for a minute;)

When I think "World 1-1" I think Super Mario Brothers and Nintendo. In this context it kinda implies it all started with SMB. Shouldn't it be better served by an Atari reference?

I think the plan if successful was to build a library of doc's covering various classic platforms so with this being 1-1 it signals the beginning, Its not an Atari reference just one signalling the start.

I like it when credentialed people are spearheading these types of projects. My only disappointment is that they're often alone in their work, barely touching —if at all—the expertises of others. Jeanette Garcia's expertise in rhetoric is to be sought out, but the lack of proper historians in the mix is a let-down. This isn't Professor Garcia's fault or anything, but rather that the industry is still pretty new and still seen—sadly so—as the domain of children and those adults who never quite grew up.

That said, I'm sure this documnentary will be informative and well-worth watching, but my hopes are that one day a proper one, with a board of experts, tackles the industry as a whole and locates it in its proper context.