IGNORED

AA having problems?

DZ-Jay

Is anybody else having problems accessing the forum through the web site? On my end, it stalls in every other click, and web pages are not loaded completely sometimes.

Is it me or is it the forum? I seem to be able to browse the web otherwise without issues...

Is anybody else having problems accessing the forum through the web site? On my end, it stalls in every other click, and web pages are not loaded completely sometimes.

Is it me or is it the forum? I seem to be able to browse the web otherwise without issues...

It's working fine for me, on a Mac running Firefox's "beta of the week" (26.0)

Edited by catsfolly

My biggest "problem" with the forums is that I can't keep up with all the posting very well! I wish this community was hosted via a different kind of technology. But moving an entire community is difficult - even if most people agreed with me.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The forum has various means you can use to keep up with posts.

What type of technology would you prefer?

..Al

Fine here too - on Chrome on a Mac.

My biggest "problem" with the forums is that I can't keep up with all the posting very well! I wish this community was hosted via a different kind of technology. But moving an entire community is difficult - even if most people agreed with me.

Well, I guess I'm just the lucky one. I'm on a Mac and just today I can't get much of anything to work on the site.

By the way, Rick, I use Tapatalk on my iPad/iPhone and it improves the usability and experience greatly. You may want to give it a try.

-dZ.

Well, I guess I'm just the lucky one. I'm on a Mac and just today I can't get much of anything to work on the site.

It's coming up fast for me over multiple page loads, and nobody else has reported such issues. Usually I get feedback pretty quickly if there's a server-related issue that's causing problems for everyone. Sounds like some sort of network connectivity issue between you and AtariAge. Can you do a traceroute to atariage.com and post the results?

Using a Mac would not have any bearing. That's what I use full-time.

By the way, Rick, I use Tapatalk on my iPad/iPhone and it improves the usability and experience greatly. You may want to give it a try.

Yes, Tapatalk is rather nice on iOS, I definitely recommend it for anyone using an iPad, iPhone or Android device.

..Al

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The forum has various means you can use to keep up with posts.

What type of technology would you prefer?

..Al

Oh, I'm just griping that forums in general aren't good for discussions. I'm in agreement with a lot of what is posted here: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2013/02/civilized-discourse-construction-kit.html

I am using the forum tools as best I know how (maybe that's also an issue? I don't know how?). I get emails when a new topic is started because I've subscribed to the Intellivision sub-forum, but I don't see an option to email me on every new post unless I'm subscribed to a topic. So I have to remember to subscribe to each and every topic that is of interest.

Of course, I don't really want an email on every posting because there are parts of discussions that I don't care much about. But there isn't any control on my reading of a topic. You either wade through all the replies or you miss some. Etc., etc., etc. There are lots of weaknesses in the forum model.

But other than discourse (linked to above) I don't really have a better option. And I'm not sure that discourse is ready for prime time yet (maybe?). I really respect the way that Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky cleaned up the Q&A website format. I have to think that Jeff bringing that kind of expertise to discussion sites would result in something pretty great - and almost certainly better than standard forums.

Edited by Rick Reynolds

-dZ.

Nurmix recommended tapatalk as well, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. E.g. I haven't figured out how to monitor the Intellivision sub-forum here within it. I have to do more readying maybe.

For what it's worth, I too experience trouble from time to time, although I'm not sure if the trouble I'm talking about is the same as what the OP is talking about.

In a nutshell, sometimes I will try to access the forum root, any subforum or any individual forum thread, and all I get is a blank screen and the browser goes into "waiting-to-receive-more-data" mode. All I need to do to fix this is press the "reload page" button and the page displays correctly. If I wait long enough without pressing the reload button, I will often see the page displayed as weird HTML, with all text displayed using the Times-New-Roman font.

I'm using IE 8 at home, but I've also witnessed the same problem when I access the AA forums from my office computer using Firefox. From what I can tell, it's like a packet of data gets lost and the browser waits for it, and when the browser times out, it displays whatever it can in a "default" way.

This problem also happens when I write a PM. I press the "Send" button and nothing happens, until the browser times out. For that reason, I often copy the contents of the PM in the clipboard before pressing the "Send" button, just to make sure I won't lose it if the problem occurs.

This problem happens for me on a regular basis, like multiple times per week. I don't know if others have experienced it like I have.

I tried tracing the route and this is what I get:

DropZone:src dz$ traceroute www.atariage.com
traceroute to atariage.com (74.50.103.224), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1)  1.692 ms  0.852 ms  0.686 ms
 2  cpe-065-190-204-001.nc.res.rr.com (65.190.204.1)  38.711 ms  19.961 ms  43.156 ms
 3  xe10-1-0.2161.rlghnca-rtr2.nc.rr.com (24.162.250.77)  13.164 ms  14.774 ms  97.090 ms
 4  ae19.chrlncpop-rtr1.southeast.rr.com (24.93.64.2)  24.403 ms  19.484 ms  21.903 ms
 5  bu-ether14.atlngamq46w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.82)  24.770 ms
    bu-ether34.atlngamq46w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com (107.14.19.48)  24.368 ms
    bu-ether14.atlngamq46w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.82)  25.384 ms
 6  107.14.17.184 (107.14.17.184)  37.839 ms  22.974 ms  28.054 ms
 7  * 107.14.16.178 (107.14.16.178)  29.089 ms  28.758 ms
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * 23.30.207.178 (23.30.207.178)  38.272 ms *
11  ve244.ebr2.tpa.hivelocity.net (162.216.7.18)  49.419 ms
    ve243.ebr1.tpa.hivelocity.net (162.216.7.14)  46.058 ms *
12  ve225.ds01-r136.tpa.hivelocity.net (206.51.235.212)  41.233 ms  41.056 ms *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *

-dZ.

Its probably bc ur using a mac. Mac is the atari of computers. :) Intellivision is the linux that runs a PC. :) Edited by voltron
  • Like 1

-dZ.

I couldn't access the forum area at all late last night. Just froze. Today is better but I am experiencing stalling as well.

I couldn't access the forum area at all late last night. Just froze. Today is better but I am experiencing stalling as well.

If this is only happening with the forum (and not the main site or store), it would help me to know exactly when this is happening. If you can give me the time reported by the forum and your local time zone, I can then look in the logs to see if there's anything unusual. It's possible there are slow database queries that can sometimes slow the forum down for brief periods of time. If this is the case, I should be able to fix it.

..Al

If this is only happening with the forum (and not the main site or store), it would help me to know exactly when this is happening. If you can give me the time reported by the forum and your local time zone, I can then look in the logs to see if there's anything unusual. It's possible there are slow database queries that can sometimes slow the forum down for brief periods of time. If this is the case, I should be able to fix it.

..Al

I noticed last night at around 10:30 - 11:15 or so Eastern time. I don't seem to be having any issues now however.