IGNORED

Will an OSS Action! cartridge fit in a 1200XL?

ACML

Without powering on, I just tried:

2 XE types (ribbed, smooth), both fine.

Atarimax translucent and solid dark, little tight but fine.

Basic XL OSS Orange type, little tight but seems fine.

Action! OSS black with fins, very tight, could have issues.

Thanks Rybags! I'm thinking of buying the orange Action cartridge circa 1984. Sounds like I should avoid the black finned version.

Possible, probably, but the alternate formats generally mean some reworking of the code. Also it's generally wasteful a bit because e.g. Atarimax banking is 8K but the OSS carts work in a fixed upper 4K and banked lower 4K.

In order to work with Atarimax, the top 4K is just replicated across all the banks involved - same would probably apply to U1Meg.

Buying them unless cheap is a collectable thing anyway. Fairly sure all the OSS carts have had patched versions released such that they can be flashed to a low capacity Atarimax cart.

I even did a Mac-65 patch to allow it to run in VBXE banked RAM.

Steve made a Maxflash 8Mb image, available through the Atarimax forums, which includes the following. All of these work as individual carts, the cartridge will not simulate 'stacked' cartridges.

SDX 4.45 (the 1mbit build, modified)

Express!

Diamond GOS

MAC/65

Basic XL

Basic XE

Action!

Instant MyDOS

Instant SmartDOS

Disk Wizard II

Copy 2000

My Copier 2.1

Instant Translator

• Like 1

Steve made a Maxflash 8Mb image, available through the Atarimax forums, which includes the following. All of these work as individual carts, the cartridge will not simulate 'stacked' cartridges.

SDX 4.45 (the 1mbit build, modified)

Express!

Diamond GOS

MAC/65

Basic XL

Basic XE

Action!

Instant MyDOS

Instant SmartDOS

Disk Wizard II

Copy 2000

My Copier 2.1

Instant Translator

You missed my favorite, SDX 4.46 with simulated stacking of BASIC XL, Action!, and MAC/65 (choose one at boot time).

You can also choose SDX with no language cart.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1391

You missed my favorite, SDX 4.46 with simulated stacking of BASIC XL, Action!, and MAC/65 (choose one at boot time).

You can also choose SDX with no language cart.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1391

I don't need the simulated stacking of this version, I already have other devices to provide SDX as do many others.

Original ICD SDX cartridge, Ultimate 1MB upgrade, Incognito upgrade, IDE+ 2.0.

I also have 2 SIDE cartridges but these don't support pass-thru, and I don't have intSDX which does support pass-thru using the stock cartridge port.

Sorry for an off topic, but it'd be great one day to have a possibility to flash Action! (and maybe also other 8/16k carts) on U1MB. Unfortunately I've no personal courage to ask Candle about it ;)

I have also wanted this option. It would require a re-write of the FPGA logic as well as changes to the setup menu.

-K

I have also wanted this option. It would require a re-write of the FPGA logic as well as changes to the setup menu.

-K

There's a binary load ACTION!. It shoiuld burn to a Maxflash cart. I haven't tried to burn it. I hope this is the binary load one. I have a couple run time files also, which allows you to

compile a ACTION! editor file and include the run time, so no need of ACTION! to run it. Oh, heck, here's my entire ACTION folder with all my ACTION! stuff. The ACTION! binarly load

is the simple ACTION.ARC file. ACTION! is a bank switched cart, so I don't know how it is made into a simple binary load.

ACTION.zip

Edited by russg

A Black AtariMax cart is the EXACT SAME as an Orange OSS Cart. Both made by Solakian Mold Co. Fresno, Ca. 209-251-8784.

The number has probably changed by now, but, it is exactly the same.

D.E.L.CompuCable Systems, Later known as DSI, also used this same (black) plastic for SpectraView I and SpectraView II carts.

Same exact mold, same exact plastic. Everything fits. I once made a half black, half orange BASIC-XL

And, YES, they all fit into a 1200XL, some with a little more force than others. Been there, done that.

-K

Slight differences I can see here:

Orange OSS has "<- LEFT CARTRIDGE" as well as OSS logo as part of the molding. Also has slight lip on the sides that black Atarimax doesn't. The lip would probably increase overall width by about .3 - .5 mm.

Aside from nice textured surface vs smooth, practically identical.

Raised lines running along the length of the exposed PCB end of OSS carts seem slightly more prominent.