IGNORED

1050 Help

Ripdubski

I seem to recall reading a post at some time where this symptom was caused by a faulty 6532 RIOT chip. You might try re-seating it or swapping out one from another drive. It's failing it's power up self test routines even before the code gets to the track zero part so the head isn't moving because of that. I have put my Happy into this mode by opening the door too soon, only there the busy light also flashes, only way out is to power down and then back on. Just FYI, not really anything to do with this drive that I know of. Otherwise I've only heard of the symptom which should make it pretty rare.

I have a 1050 that was pulled from storage that isnt working right.

It powers up. The motor spins on about 2 seconds, then off about 2 seconds, repeat ad nauseum. The head mechanism does not move. Its a stock drive, clean, and all connectors and wires look good. Thoughts?

Thanx in advance.

Wade

LM3086 (CA3086 chip), U1 is a common problem. 14 pin chip, may as well put in a socket.

I've heard the three large capacitors. But my problem was the U1.

Edited by russg

The on-off cycle means it detected a problem at startup. This means a RAM didn't pass or a register is returning garbage. I'd open another drive and swap the RAM and the RIOT, then move on to the Floppy Controller and CPU. When you get the flashing, it's usually one of the chips under the shield since the software can't really detect problems with the outside support circuitry.

• Like 1