IGNORED

Best SIO/Serial Solution

doctorclu

Big BBSer here, and recently my replacement for the 850 Interface, being the Speedier Module from More Than Games wearing out a bit.

My Speedier module:

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/proda8/adv-eh0100.htm

... offered somewhere between 9600 and 19,200 baud. Was thinking of getting another module, but wondered what other serial options would be available to a Atari 800 beige (with Incogneto) user like myself at this point?

Things I liked about the Speedier:

1) Something better than 9600 baud.

2) Size was nice

3) Not needing a seperate power supply.

Any suggestions?

Disadvantage with both being that you then have an entire PC hanging off the Atari acting as a peripheral.

Sure, I know that quite a few folks don't like being "tethered" to a PC, but that's where a netbook comes in handy. I have an old Toshiba Libretto with a 7" screen and a 200 MHz Pentium (I) cpu that is perfect for running APE. (It would actually run on a 75 MHz Pentium using Win 97.) Size -- about 1/4th the size of a 1050 disk drive. Runs on the caffeine in a can of soda. ;) (Well, almost...) But seriously, the point is that you don't need a big PC system -- just a very small, modestly powered notebook to use APE.

-Larry

post-8008-0-55025900-1387061449_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

P:R: connection does not require a separate PSU and does 19.2kbps.. and full rts/cts handshaking too..

These days, I dont keep an MIO or black box hooked up at all times because Im usually checking out some new thing that someone has done with sIDE, IDE plus 2, etc. So those are the devices I have at arms reach these days. When I want to test something that is telecomm related, the P:R: connection is by far the easiest thing to hook up and get going.. And it cooexists with all my "modern" storage interfaces.. Some programs work better with various disk based handler versions than the built in firmware loaded handler, but thats easy enough to deal with. It works best as the first device on the SIO chain... But Ive used it in conjunction with SIO2SD, APE (with ape's R: disabled), etc. without problems..

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 1

Which reminds me: it screws up one's physical printer output. One check box next to "Emulate Printer" is required.

Yes, the next release will have a "disable printer emulation" option. By the way did you log that request in SourceForge, because otherwise it will be forgotten ;)

Edited by atari8warez

Well, now is a good time to bring up the lack of PBI serial devices. With incognito in your 800, you have a full PBI bus in there, all it would take is a little board with a UART, a PBI ROM, and some decoding logic on it and it could support some pretty fast speeds (at least 19200, probably more with a UART that has a FIFO). It could fit inside the 800 with incognito easily, but, of course, someone would have to design it first. IIRC, blackbox and MIO had serial ports on them, but from my understanding they are kind of rare and probably too big to fit inside an incognito 800.

• Like 1

Internal serial PBI card for Incognito sounds like an excellent idea. How about a card that plugs into a slot (for physical stability) with a pass-through PBI connector using a very short 50 pin PBI ribbon from Incognito to it, with the pass-through PBI on the back side of the serial card.

Just an idea...

-K

• Like 1