IGNORED

After years of bashing finally a great Jaguar moment

PeterG

Just quick post I wanted to share because I had great Jaguar moment yesterday.

I've been out with a group of friends. On my way back home I was contacted by some other friends who were hanging around in a pub. With them, someone I don't know so well but he heard that I have a Jaguar and he was very interested to see it.

Since the bar is really near to my appartement we went there and fired up the Jag at 4 a.m. in the morning. :-) One of the guys fell asleep on a couch but this other guy and his girfriend startet playing NBA JAM, then went on with a round of Atari Karts and then he wanted to see AvP because he knew it only from magazines. Finally he played a round of T2K before they took a cab home. He was very interessted and positive and enjoying the games. I invited him for another time so he could check out more of the library.

Left with one guy sleeping on the couch and another friend who didn't know Tempest, I let him play T2K, then we went over to T3K and then Space Giraffe. Finally a quick round of REZ on the 360. And then we were so tired that my friend fell asleep on the other couch and I went to sleep aswell.

It was really nice to see genuine interest without bashing and making fun of my interest with this particular console. For most of my friends the Jag is still quite an obscurity they only know because of me :-)

• Like 10

One positive for the Jaguar I've noticed - it's starting to get some really great home brews. The last few days I've been playing a lot of Impulse X and Kobiyashi Maru. These are some very decent games that I think hold their own against commercial releases from the 1990s.

It's funny how systems that were its supposedly superior rivals don't have a tenth the number of new releases.

Edited by ls650

I remember back in 98 telling some friends that I had a Jaguar in my closet for a few months because I really had no use for it. Friend said he was interested so I brought him over and when he opened the closet the Jaguar ripped him to shreds and ate his face. Turns out if you leave a Jaguar in a closet for a long period of time they get pretty hungry.

• Like 6

It's funny how systems that were its supposedly superior rivals don't have a tenth the number of new releases.

That's true, but then most of those rivals also have libraries 10 to a 100 times the size of the Jaguar's, except for the 3DO anyway...that's only like double the size (not counting Jag home-brew's).

That's true, but then most of those rivals also have libraries 10 to a 100 times the size of the Jaguar's, except for the 3DO anyway...that's only like double the size (not counting Jag home-brew's).

Yeah, that only makes it worse. The other systems have much larger libraries, and far more fans, but it's the Jaguar that seems to gather the folks who want to actually make something new.

• Like 1

I've never had anyone make disparaging comments about the Jag once they've actually seen it. Sounds like a successful evening :)

I've seen it, and I still hate it, but I wouldn't ever make fun of someone or bash someone for collecting it. There are worse consoles to collect, and Tempest 2000 is magnificent.

Yeah, that only makes it worse. The other systems have much larger libraries, and far more fans, but it's the Jaguar that seems to gather the folks who want to actually make something new.

Thing is, you have source code freely available etc for the Jaguar. I don't know much about programming but it would seem that it is hard to do anything interesting without that. I guess with the Dreamcast you get good homebrews because you can run them with Microsoft CE, but the others you would be out of luck...

Edited by danny_galaga

You just can't fight the negative vibe that the general gaming community feels against the Jaguar. Back around 1997 or so, I had a friend over to play the Jag, and I let him work on Alien vs. Predator. After about 15 minutes, he realized he was nearly pulling the controller out of the console because, without knowing it, he continually backed his chair away from the TV out of fright. He was so terrified by the atmosphere and tension that he subconsciously had to get away from the TV. That's a great gaming experience.

Yet just a few months later, this same friend was telling me how shitty the Jag was, despite his only experience with it being so intense. All the naysayers in the gaming press and among our circle of friends had convinced him that the Jag was worthless. You just can't fight that kind of mentality.

• Like 1

Truth is age has helped on some of the "Sega clone games" In the roster, the System had a catch 22, needed games so would release games half done or outright clones from the Sega, so you got either lower end Sega games or crappy 3-D incomplete games, on the other end of the spectrum if you where selective in your game library Jag had some awesome games made at the time, Wolf 3-D, DOOM, Aliens Vs. Predator, Raiden, Rayman, Temptest 2000, Defender 2000, missile command 3-D, Burnout, NBA JAM, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum you got Supper Cross 3-D, Checkered Flag, Double Dragon 5, Dragon, and a CD add on that was a $250 dollar investment that could only play 8 games in the original launch (4 of witch where available for every system at the time of release)(yes I'm aware of home bruise, but most are hard to download for the average player.

I like the Jag an still own it to this day, but their was a point where I parted ways with the system that would give me more bad than good games in its original run 95-97, If you where a gamer at that point and saw what Sega Saturn/PS1/or even 3D0, all costing near the same as what you paid for your Jag plus, Jag would trickle out a new game about once every month or so, either good or horrid, look at the 1st years library, Cybermorth (pack In) Raiden (I like it, but very 16 bit looking) Trevor McFur (beautiful 2-D game, hard as could be) Cavemen (bad 16-bit Lemmings Clone), and then Checkerd Flag (one of the worst driving games ever made)

So early adapters got a very sour taste in their mouth, if not for Alien Vs Predator, Doom, Wolf 3-D, and Iron Solider in Wave 2 of games most would have a negative, at this point PS1 and Saturn where out with more games and better looking at that

Have had something similar happen. We always play Blitz on DC when beer comes out but instead we played Jag NBA Jam and they loved it. Went on to Doom & Wolf 3D later. They were impressed. I moved them all into the Sega Saturn camp a few yrs back.... working on the Jag now lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to share that we had another great gaming evening and Jaguar experience at my place. Seven friends came over to my flat and were enjoying Winter Games on ST, some Worms on xbox 360 and some other stuff on the old xbox and also some California Games on the Lynx.

Then somebody wanted to play Brutal Sports Football and Sensible Soccer on the Jag, Someone else asked for four player games and since I don't have a team tap for NBA Jam I popped in Express freeway. Guess what they would play in the whole time two other guys needed to think themselves through Limbo on the 360. ;-)

Now I heard talk about 8 Player versions of Express freeway...maybe time to get myself a team tap. ;-)

post-1084-0-52048500-1390783759_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Just wanted to share that we had another great gaming evening and Jaguar experience at my place. Seven friends came over to my flat and were enjoying Winter Games on ST, some Worms on xbox 360 and some other stuff on the old xbox and also some California Games on the Lynx.

Then somebody wanted to play Brutal Sports Football and Sensible Soccer on the Jag, Someone else asked for four player games and since I don't have a team tap for NBA Jam I popped in Express freeway. Guess what they would play in the whole time two other guys needed to think themselves through Limbo on the 360. ;-)

Now I heard talk about 8 Player versions of Express freeway...maybe time to get myself a team tap. ;-)

Peter, can I ask... when playing Expressway, did the people sharing the pads end up pulling them from each other or did they play fair? Part of the plan was that you could increase your competitive edge with a little wrestling :lol:

Hope we get a chance to revisit it later in the year, in time for ejagfest.

Peter, can I ask... when playing Expressway, did the people sharing the pads end up pulling them from each other or did they play fair? Part of the plan was that you could increase your competitive edge with a little wrestling :lol:

Hope we get a chance to revisit it later in the year, in time for ejagfest.

Sure you can. they were pretty civil with the pads but I guess this dependa on the characters playing. They were very competitive about who cruised the street how many times though. Leading one of the girls to playing the game alone for some time at the end just to beat someone else s record;)

• Like 1