IGNORED

Xbone Rant: Is this guy too negative, or has a point?

wood_jl

So basically there is no way to get music onto the One either?

Without going through Microsoft's music service, by the sound of it, no. I'm crossing my fingers it is something that will be added in the future. Perhaps they weren't going to focus on those features until later just to make sure they had a functional product as-is in time for launch. Or on the other hand, maybe there are no plans to implement things like ripping CDs or transferring MP3s to the hard drive via an external flash or hard drive storage device. Perhaps they don't want those features added, giving people one more reason to be nickel and dimed via Microsoft's own services. One can hope that later scenario is not the case though.

Without going through Microsoft's music service, by the sound of it, no. I'm crossing my fingers it is something that will be added in the future. Perhaps they weren't going to focus on those features until later just to make sure they had a functional product as-is in time for launch. Or on the other hand, maybe there are no plans to implement things like ripping CDs or transferring MP3s to the hard drive via an external flash or hard drive storage device. Perhaps they don't want those features added, giving people one more reason to be nickel and dimed via Microsoft's own services. One can hope that later scenario is not the case though.

Yeah, they'll probably have their own rip-off of iTunes and you'll have to pay a dollar or more for each song you want to play on the Xbone. :D

• Like 1

So basically there is no way to get music onto the One either?

No, this is not true. You can stream any tunes you own really, including mp3's.

There is a catch though. You have to initiate the playing from a PC the files reside on. Don't get me wrong, that isn't a HUGE deal, you can even stream entire playlists or genres... but it's a step backwards IMO.

If the Xbox One is the HUB of entertainment, I should be able to pick and choose songs at my leisure on the HUB, from any other node on the network shouldn't I??

Kinda like I could do on the Xbox 360?

Yeah, add the fact there is NO Virtual Light Machine or adding custom soundtracks to game.

*sigh*

I really do hope they get the Xbox One to do even half of what the 360 could do. Then I might suggest it to people.

PS4 on the other hand can't even read mp3's. Sad.

These jokers have a funny definition of HUB of entertainment! LOL

• Like 1

It sounds more like a HUB O' BUBBA than a HUB of entertainment. Might as well just stick with iPod/Sony Walkman/Zune/ Coby/ Sansa Fuse + stereo and separate DVD/Blu Ray player if it's going to be like that.

It looks more like the Xbox One is just going to end up being my Fable machine and that's it.

Edited by TheGameCollector

PS4 on the other hand can't even read mp3's. Sad.

Yeah, but on the other hand, that and several other losses of basic functionality that the PS3 had have already been confirmed to be in the works for an upcoming firmware update. So someday soon, you'll be able to stream media, play MP3's directly, play music CD's, etc.

Edited by Atariboy

It sounds more like a HUB O' BUBBA than a HUB of entertainment. Might as well just stick with iPod/Sony Walkman/Zune/ Coby/ Sansa Fuse + stereo and separate DVD/Blu Ray player if it's going to be like that.

It looks more like the Xbox One is just going to end up being my Fable machine and that's it.

SHIT, that's another thing the 360 could do (Not sure about the PS3), pull your song files from an mp3 player. If I'm not mistaken, an Ipod (MS rival) was even compatible with a 360.

I haven't tried it but I'd bet my last dollar it's not an option on these new HUBs of Entertainment.

LOL

I do still have faith a lot of these over sites will be fixed with updates. I'm staying positive.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some of these to be implemented in the near future, including the PS4's ability to play mp3's.

It's a selling point if you ask me, but like RT mentioned, they want you to buy into their dumb ass music service.It's not just an Xbox thing, you know Sony has their own music service and has for decades.

Yeah, but on the other hand, that and several other losses of basic functionality that the PS3 had have already been confirmed to be in the works for an upcoming firmware update. So someday soon, you'll be able to stream media, play MP3's directly, play music CD's, etc.

Right and MS has promised External Hard drive support... We'll all just have to wait and hope these promises comes true sooner than later eh?

Its just to bad you can't play colecovision cartridges on the xbone. They really need to add an expansion module for that.

Probably could be done via software update and you could scan the cart on the Kinect to play the game.

Yep great idea for sure and would certainly be a positive perk!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hate to nitpick about the XBOX One even more, but I loaded up a BluRay last night. First thing that happens? It requests to download an update. However, unlike the 360, it didn't give me the option to simply use the application as-is (I had just updated it the day before, heh). I went ahead and switched back to the home screen, then closed out the BluRay application. Loaded it up again afterwards, and the same thing happened. Forced to update before I could use the application. What the hell? Why is this even happening? I mean, I know the application is small so it shouldn't be a "big deal", but this is yet another reason why this generation so far is a step back when it comes to the evolution of the medium, and just another reason why the 360 is still the superior platform at the moment.

I think based on the activity in this forum, MS has an uphill battle.

IMO Sony isn't in a whole lot better situation. I have a PS4 I was only compelled to turn on, once. Nintendo, they are just kind of DOA in my eyes. This generation is very odd.

I would say it's not off to a good start, not for hardcore gamers, not for casual gamers, not for people looking for an "entertainment hub", even the trolls (excluding atarian63) are for the most part absent.

Sad gen so far indeed.

• Like 1

It was just a tactic to allow manufacturing to overlap with work on the software OS before release.

One or the other would've been negatively affected otherwise. There either would've been a lot less hardware to go around at launch or the OS would be even suckier than it already is if they had froze it for the launch window to the state it was in when their production lines opened up.

This way, they were building systems at the same time they were continuing to work on the OS. Rather stinks that your new console needs so much updating for basic functionality (Which looks set to continue for quite sometime on both new consoles), but there is some logic there.

Even Nintendo does this as anyone that tried to play a Wii game before updating their Wii U can attest to.

Edited by Atariboy

Even Nintendo does this as anyone that tried to play a Wii game before updating their Wii U can attest to.

Right, I'm not really talking about that though.. Been there, done that already with both the Wii U and the XBOX one. However, what I am talking about is being forced to update applications before using them, ones already sitting on my hard drive that I have already been using successfully. With the Wii U or the XBOX 360, you can decline the update and use the version already on the hard drive for the time being (Don't want to spend the time updating? No problem! Do it another day!). With the Xbone, it seems you can't even do that, heh. I had just watched a BluRay the day prior, so it's not like the application was non-functional.

I figured that this was the first time. For some reason when you said you had updated it the day before, I was thinking of a system update itself.

I'd find that annoying, too. I don't have a clue why Microsoft wouldn't let you voluntarily decline an update and use functionality as is if you desired.

Edited by Atariboy

An interesting point is raised in this article, which is a bit dated (May 2013) but I think is still valid despite everything that's happened since then. Xbox One was designed to be the hub of an "ecosystem", which is an ironic point to bring up in a thread detailing how the One doesn't work with old games, mp3s, or anything else people would be interested in. Like Apple's iTunes ecosystem, Microsoft wants the One to cooperate with your Windows 8 PC, phone, and tablet. If people invest heavily in other Microsoft products, the One will absolutely be a win.

However, if people by and large don't like the idea of a MS ecosystem, the One will have lost one of its key strengths. That could really hurt when their two competitors aren't worried about making an ecosystem.

This time next year Moycon, and most others posting in this thread, will love these consoles. They released them before the software was finished. They forced each other to do it. The interface will be much better and the library much more compelling by next year. The 360 had a lot of things going for it when it was released including a major jump into HD gaming (the original Xbox barely utilized HD) and a much more integrated online platform. It also had a couple of awesome titles in the launch lineup. This generation is just off to a slower start. These guys are the big hitters and, for better or worse, these are the consoles they will be getting behind. Before we know it they will be in full swing and people will be abandoning the 360 and PS3 in droves. Not me of course.

I do think that Sony is poised to grab a convincing lead this generation. The roles are almost reversed from the launch of the PS3. At that time Sony had made some huge blunders and they limped into that generation. It took a while for them to catch their stride. Even with that bad start the PS3 managed to overtake the 360 worldwide. This generation MS has done a great deal of damage to themselves and they may be paying for it. I think Games with Gold and PS+ are going to be critical with these consoles. People are looking at what they get out of paid services like Netflix and Hulu, as well as the free online play they enjoyed on PS3, and they are wondering what they are getting for their subscription dollars. Free games for subscribers is appealing to a lot of people and there is no doubt that Sony is giving better value. Most people aren't going to care if they can keep the games when the service expires. They will only care about how good the games are. Sony is giving away fantastic games. MS is giving away old games that are often crap. On top of that they have not introduced the program to Xbox One yet. I have added PS4 games to my Sony account already and I have not even purchased a PS4 yet. Every time they add a game for it the incentive for me to buy a PS4 grows. When I buy it I will already have a library of games to play for free!

For comparison here is the complete list of Games with Gold games since it started in June 2013:

Title                                   Date               Release Date

Toy Soldiers: Cold War                  February 16, 2014  August 17, 2011
Dead Island                             February 1, 2014   January 9, 2011
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light    January 16, 2014   August 18, 2010
Sleeping Dogs                           January 1, 2014    August 17, 2012
Shoot Many Robots                       December 16, 2013  March 14, 2012
Gears of War                            December 1, 2013   November 17, 2006
Iron Brigade                            November 15, 2013  June 22, 2011
A World of Keflings                     November 1, 2013   December 22, 2010
Halo 3                                  October 16, 2013   September 25, 2007
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes        October 1, 2013    April 13, 2011
Rainbow Six: Vegas                      September 16, 2013 November 22, 2006
Magic the Gathering 2013                September 1, 2013  June 30, 2012
Dead Rising 2 (including Case Zero DLC) August 16, 2013    September 25, 2010
Crackdown                               August 1, 2013     February 20, 2007
Assassin’s Creed 2                      July 16, 2013      November 17, 2009
Defense Grid: The Awakening             July 1, 2013       December 1, 2008
Fable 3                                 June 10, 2013      October 29, 2010

Playstation Plus instant Game Collection games for PS3 during the same period:

Title                                                       Date               Release Date

Remember Me                                                 February 2014      June 4, 2013
Payday 2                                                    February 12, 2014  August 13, 2013
Metro: Last Light                                           February 4, 2014   May 14, 2013
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons                                January 21, 2014   August 7, 103
BioShock Infinite                                           January 14, 2014   March 26, 2013
DmC: Devil May Cry                                          January 7, 2014    January 15, 2013
Dyad                                                        December 17, 2013  July 12, 2012
Borderlands 2                                               December 10, 2013  September 18, 2012
Grid 2                                                      December 3, 2013   May 28, 2013
Binary Domain                                               November 19, 2013  February 28, 2012
Ibb and Obb                                                 November 12, 2013  August 6, 2013
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen                                 November 5, 2013   April 23, 2013
Hotline Miami (cross-buy)                                   October 22, 2013   October 23, 2012
Poker Night 2                                               October 15, 2013   April 30, 2013
Shadow of the Colossus                                      October 8, 2013    September 22, 2011
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning                               October 1, 2013    February 7, 2012
Ico                                                         September 17, 2013 September 22, 2011
Galaga Legions DX                                           September 10, 2013 June 29, 2011
Resident Evil: Chronicles HD Collection                     September 3, 2013  June 26, 2012
Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball (cross-buy)                August 20, 2013    2013
Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien   August 13, 2013    March 5, 2013
Hitman: Absolution                                          August 6, 2013     November 20, 2013
Jet Set Radio                                               July 16, 2013      September 18, 2012
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD                                July 9, 2013       December 24, 2012
Battlefield 3                                               July 2, 2013       October 25, 2011
Saints Row: The Third                                       June 18, 2013      November 15, 2011
XCOM: Enemy Unknown                                         June 11, 2013      October 9, 2012
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (single player)              June 11, 2013      November 1, 2011
LittleBigPlanet Karting                                     June 11, 2013      November 6, 2012
Machinarium                                                 June 11, 2013      October 9, 2012
Deus Ex: Human Revolution                                   June 4, 2013       August 23, 2011

These lists aren't even close in my opinion. Keep in mind that the PS3 games remain available for "purchase" for longer than the 360's games and once you "purchase" them they are available for you to download as long as you maintain your PS+ sub whether you downloaded the games during the time they were available or not. If you do let your sub expire all of the games will become available again when you subscribe again.

Microsoft needs to step up their game. I have an Xbox One. I'm sure I will not regret it. Right now I only turn it on to just browse around it for a few minutes. Then I switch to my 360 or PS3 to actually play some games. Had I wanted to wait on the Xbox One I would have no problem getting one right now. If I wanted to run out and grab a PS4 right now it would be much harder. Microsoft needs to give buyers a reason to give up on their PS4 search in favor of snatching up an available Xbox One. People aren't going to do it because of the hardware capabilities. The PS4 has the advantage there and it has been demonstrated already. Microsoft is going to have to win with exclusives and features.

This time next year Moycon, and most others posting in this thread, will love these consoles.

Yep that's what I keep telling myself. When I said odd, just ment from last gen where I was blown away by the latest consoles, and active in the forums because I was genuinely excited.

It should be pointed out, the One can play mp3s fine (The PS3 cannot), it's the choice they made on to play them that baffles me. What exactly was wrong using an interface on the consoles menu? I guess there was something wrong with it or they wouldn't have changed it. I guess maybe it was too convenient? One thing you don't want as part of your hub of an "ecosystem" is convenience apparently.

Also I don't agree MS is doing anything wrong in their games for gold promotion. The games are old I'll admit that, but they are far from crap in my eyes. Not sure how GOW, Dead Island, Crackdown could be considered crap! Honestly looking through the list I don't see any dogs. They are some of the finest games on the system, my only complaint might be I already own most of them. Even better, if you cancel your subscription, you keep the games! Just don't understand that opinion at all. I will admit MS needs to step up their game though. Simply giving us the features the Xbox 360 already has, and adding external HDD support would be a HUGE help in my eyes. If this thing can't do most of what my last gen system can, I have little reason to move on or get excited is the way I look at it.

In comparing the two programs I think you are the first person I have ever seen claim that Games with Gold compares to PS+.

Even better, if you cancel your subscription, you keep the games!

Have you ever cancelled? Both services can frequently be found on sale but Live usually drops to $39.99 a year and PS+ drops to $29.99 a year. For $30 a year, newer and higher quality and quantity of games... why would I cancel? You can point to the fact that the service will be ended eventually but Sony has proven to support their consoles longer than MS. I don't think of these as a purchase anyway. I don't buy digitally distributed games for consoles. So are you really going to look at those lists and tell me PS+ doesn't blow Games with Gold away? Take off the green hued glasses and look again. The PS+ list has 13 games on it that were released in 2013. With that list not including anything before Games with Gold started it doesn't have a single game that was released before 2011. I didn't say all the games were crap. I said they were either old or crap. I don't see how that list comes even close to containing the finest games on the system. Fable 3? Yes they put out a few good games that are old, able to be obtained for very cheap, and are parts of franchises. I think they threw us a bone with this program and that's exactly what it feels like. I believe that they conceived of the idea to reduce the flak they were getting from their idiotic announcements and I think they intended to make the games much better. After they had to reverse course they became more hush about the program and ultimately tossed some old and/or crap games up there. It's not a subscription seller. PS Plus is. Just compare what was released on the services this year alone. It's not even close!

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Have you ever cancelled?

On the PS3? Absolutely. Seriously, I thought PS+ on the PS3 was a rip-off even at $40 a year mainly because you don't keep the games and PS+ didn't offer much other than that on the PS3.

I did use a few of the PS+ discounts, but again, Live Gold offers discounts weekly. I cancelled because PS+ didn't offer much to me. Mirroring you (save for a few on AA), I don't know anyone personally that clamored over PS+ last gen really. (admittedly most are geared more towards Xbox)

Might just be because I have so many games on disk in my "to play" pile as it is. Temp DLC freebies aren't really an incentive for me, regardless when they were released.

Oh well, Look at it this way, now you can't say everyone you know loves PS+ over GwG.

Well it counts just a bit more than if atarian63 made the opposing argument. I'm certainly not known around here for arguing in favor of Sony. I don't think I'm a fanboy but I've favored the Xbox/360 pretty consistently. I just think you have to be near blind to think that those two services, being specifically Games with Gold and PS+ Instant Collection, have value parity. When it comes to what else is offered you can point to all of the things that MS sticks behind the paywall but it's hard to call those incentives. The fact that I have to pay for an Xbox Live subscription on top of my Netflix subscription in order to watch Netflix on my Xbox is balls. For someone like me there is a decreasing incentive to keep my Xbox Live subscription as I move further away from online gaming and more into strictly single-player experiences. I looked through my Live history the other day and realized that it has been years since I played an online game on Xbox Live. MS wants people like me to stay subscribed. Between all the other consoles I have to stream video on without a paywall along with the gaming value provided by PS+ I'm not sure what I need the Live subscription for. Of course I should have thought about that before I maxed my subscription out to 2017.

• Like 2

I don't think I'm a fanboy but I've favored the Xbox/360 pretty consistently.

Heh No argument here! I understand what you are saying 100% and I don't blame you for your opinion. I think the people I listen to the most on AA are people like you. Not blindly bashing one system or overly praising another. PS+ does keep getting better as should be expected, it's really taking off. I think more so with the release of PS4. Truthfully, I only bought into it when it first started and didn't renew when it was over. I have a card for a years worth of PS+ I bought specifically for the PS4. I really need to activate the damn thing and see what the hub bub is about! I'm just so unexcited about this gen so far I've been procrastinating! LOL

The problem I have with both PS+ and games with gold is that once I take away the games I already have off of both lists, neither stands out.

I had 7 games off of the Xbox list and 9 off of the Playstation list.

The games alone were never enough of a reason for me to buy PS+. (I have had a PS3, PSP and Vita since they were launched) When I buy a PS4, I will buy PS+ because it is needed to play online. Online play is the primary reason I have been a Live subscriber.

I have little reason to move on or get excited is the way I look at it.

This one part is how I feel. I don't care about the PS4 at all and once MS caved and changed the XBone to accommodate everyone, I knew it wasn't worth getting for at least a year after release. There was no way they had the time to change pretty much everything in time for release. I messed with the BIL's on Christmas night and walked away pretty much indifferent. With my limited desire to play games and limited time, I just don't see me even thinking of one until Halo 5. I know I am in the minority when I say that I thought the direction they wanted to go with the Xbone was way more compelling than the concessions they made.

Edited by Starscream