IGNORED

WTB Atari 8 bit computer

64KB_Rob

Hi everyone im a newbie here on atari age so far im loving the site. Im a young vintage computer collecter (im 19) looking to get into some 8 bit atari computers. Ive got the 800 800xl in mind or might even settle for a 400 . So anyone who might have a nice little spare unit they would like to part with for decent price let me know. Thanks alot for looking.- Robert

Welcome! While I love the 400 (my first computer!) I'd recommend getting something with 48K-64K so you can run most software, and most 400s have 16K (some have 8K) but some are expanded. 400 also lacks composite (or S-video) output, limited to RF (channel 3). I think a nice 800XL would be a great start, and sometimes you can find them cheap. This is all just an opinion, and there are others! Have fun.

Hi there wood I appreciate all the info

ill see if I can find me a nice 800xl for starters. If I do run across a good deal on a 400 I might pick it up. I was researching and found a site that sells NOS official atari 48k memory upgrades for the 400. So I thought if I got a good deal on one and upgraded the memory it would be a cool lil machine.

Welcome to AtariAge!

Just be aware of the fact that you don't have RAM under the OS, or Extended RAM banks, so some software (SpartaDOS, TBASIC-XL, and most demos) won't run. Ask Candle about the possible 400 upgrade in the works. Look Here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207429-atari-400-incognito-like-upgrade/

I have an Incognito in my 800 and love it.

Good luck :)

Hey RJ I appreciate the offer would love to take you up on it but im a little further than a hour from you im in North Carolina. Hi Kyle I wasn't aware of that since im a total newb in the world of atari computers but I will look into this further thanks for the info :)

Nice! Enjoy it! It took me a few tries to obtain a nice working 800XL myself. It is a fantastic system. You should look into an SIO2PC (or SIO2SD, etc) solution. SIO2PC is the most cost effective in my opinion, and will allow data to be moved back and forth between the Atari and your PC. It is a good investment.

• Like 1

I have the AtariMax SIO2PCpost-13040-0-34113800-1388815027_thumb.jpg

It works very well. There are other interfaces or even direct cables available, they are all good.

I use A.P.E. from AtariMax, but, again, there are other good ones. AspeQT is one. I even had SIO2CP/M back in the day running off my TeleVideo machine. I had UltraSpeed and everything.

Which ever way you go, you have only just begun to enter the Matrix.... Have Fun :)

• Like 1

I was watching a vid on the sio2pc looks like a awesome little piece of equipment would definitely invest in one once I acquire a 800xl. Where would be the best place to get a sio2pc ?

Thanks I love it so far its such a cool little computer has a neat feel to it gotta love that membrane key board haha.

But that is something I noticed on ebay looking for a XL computer a lot of them had keyboard issue so when i do purchase one I will make sure its guaranteed that the keyboard is functional

• 2 weeks later...