IGNORED

GTIA Blast update

José Pereira

How is this topic, not the most talked about topic on AtariAge, right now? We waste pages and pages on a thread for a game that might materialize, if we apologise, yet, here's a guy who is BUSTING HIS ARSE, and truly pushing the 8-bit to the limits, and we're only at, 4 pages? ;)

-Thom

p.s. I just can't stop watching it. You've managed to really squeeze the most out of each and every ANTIC/GTIA mode. Respect.

-Thom

• Like 4

How is this topic, not the most talked about topic on AtariAge, right now? We waste pages and pages on a thread for a game that might materialize, if we apologise, yet, here's a guy who is BUSTING HIS ARSE, and truly pushing the 8-bit to the limits, and we're only at, 4 pages? ;)

-Thom

p.s. I just can't stop watching it. You've managed to really squeeze the most out of each and every ANTIC/GTIA mode. Respect.

-Thom

That's the point. This game is all action, not talk. Nothing needs to be said, except the necessary details.

"Watching it"? What about playing it...

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Well it is somewhere around 450K at the moment although there is some wasted space in there.

Would GTIA Blast benefit from LZ4 or some other compression technique? Could the music be converted to a smaller format?

EDIT: I just read about Exomizer being used on the binary. Thanks CharlieChaplin!

xxl has the GTIA beeper which features great sound and very impressive compression.

Edited by fibrewire

Yeah, I figured that out, 5 minutes after I made this post. I'm a dolt. :)

-Thom

Your point is taken though. This deserves more attention. It'll receive attention, just not in multitude of posts. It'll be in the number of downloads in the next few weeks, and the amount of time people spend playing the game.

It'll receive attention, just not in multitude of posts. It'll be in the number of downloads in the next few weeks, and the amount of time people spend playing the game.

Also the number of people silently and patiently following the thread, waiting for more information and, ultimately, the finished game. Like i would've been if i hadn't posted this. =-)

• Like 2

I would like to thank everyone who has provided feedback, without which there wouldn't be 5200 or RAMBO 1088 versions. There probably wouldn't be any background interaction either without the number of people who voiced it was needed.

The rest of this year will probably be spent doing some tidy up and more foundation work. Next year it will be to try and make something playable out of it. I feel a little daunted to try and match in playability what Harvey has achieved with the graphics but I will give it my best shot.

• Like 5

The other route that GTIABlast!/AtariBLAST! could have taken - is 3 years of development in top secret / silent ongoing development - in which case it would not have gone the way it had....

I felt very strongly that this was going to be one quality project (this was apparent after only 3 months progress) - and the first to explore the GTIA modes fully - that it would have been disappointing to release it finished - only to have other GTIA? games from other developers released - when GB!/AB! was there first?

By the way - I don't feel the graphics in this current project is the best done, at all. it still has a long way to go - before I'll ever feel it's the best it could be. But in the meantime it's sufficient to show some of the potential that is there. If other graphic designers tried out Paul's graphic utilities - I'll not be surprised that they'll turn out some amazing work of their own, with them.

This project is not driven by ego as such - but by the desire to see something wonderful being done on this versatile hardware - that should have grabbed a larger following in it's day, but didn't due to poor mishandling of a wasted opportunity of time - the 400/800 being there first... in it's day. That in 1980-1981 when the Atari 400/800 were generally available and were expensive in it's day.

This forum should/would of course encourage friendly rivalry to develop even more such projects. That the publicity will help encourage others to up their standard and diversity maybe....

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

Great work guys!

I was just playing it and had an idea:

Why not use that large ship grays GR.9 of the Rescue on Fractalus for the end game?

You exit from a ground and enter in space and suddenly with a nice metal scare sound it enters on screen (remember that music and sound in Alternate Reality when the large ship enter on screen and it starts those rays over the city, maybe something like this...) last to destroy with some new things like enemys going out of it (in that same position that on the original our small white ship goes out), some large shoting and it moving fast in ways, maybe we have to shoot many times at those sides coloured that we need to shot when they are lighted and all to destroy the large ship (maybe some kind of multiplex Missiles or Players to add those colour pixels?) together with some stars or any other kind of gfxs parallax...

Just an idea because I that this large ship its amazing and it would go great for your game final level.

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

While that is not a bad idea - Jose..

On the one hand to rip the mothership from the intro-loader - and use it... I'm not familiar with how to do that - or to do it manually would be some headache to do.. I personally think it would be on the "small" size - to use..

While it turned out easy for me to do a giant sized Atari Robot - I did give up on doing it completely because of the extra work involved to do that - which I thought was not needed. That it was better to have him assimiliated into a ship structure aka borg-like or alien like...

I do think a giant ship as in R-Type - done in GTIA 9 - would look rather striking - I am kinda lazy in going ahead with that kind of design... because of the work involved with doing so...

I think that what Paul has shown - is that there is no reason, why not - that the best of the C64 games - like IO, Delta, Armalyte, etc etc could be done as well or even better? on the A8 hardware (because of the GTIA modes) - if you can put up with some sprite flicker here and there... Some people don't rate the GTIA 9 mode much at all - but there's always other graphic modes. Even Antic 4 can look good - if your colour selection is well chosen? (only 5 colours as such).

Harvey

To a coder it shouldn't be hard and Paul sure can get it.

That ship its already done and with that middle part rotation just adding someting like I said and it quickly fast 4ways moving it would look amazing.

You already have it and its a shame that no one ever thought in using it because its ideal for an end last to destroy.

Ask Paul and see whats his opinion...

Sorry, I should have explained a bit about the Maxflash cart files.

They are in ab_maxflash.zip and there are 3 files:

ab.bin is the raw cartridge image that you'll use with Maxflash Cartridge Studio to flash a real cart with the Maxflash Cartridge Programmer

ab.car is the above image with a cartridge header added --- use this with an emulator as it saves having to select the cartridge type

ab.atr is the ATR programming image which you'll use to program a real cart if you do not have a Maxflash Cartridge Programmer

The Maxflash cart version will run on a 16K machine.

• Like 1

MrFish, on 21 Jul 2014 - 7:47 PM, said:

That's cool. Is the final also planned to run on 16K machines?

Yes, the final version will run in 16K too. That came about when we decided to go the Maxflash cart route. On one hand less people will run it on real h/w because they'll need a cart, but by making it run in 16K makes it of interest to 400/600XL owners too. As it turned out that was a good decision as it meant a 5200 version was possible with minimal effort (the 5200 only has 16K RAM).

The only annoying thing is that before deciding to go the cart route I had a 16K 400 which I upgraded to 48K as that's what we were originally targeting!