IGNORED

Art of Atari - book in progress and need help

lapetino

Just retrieved the first delivery, the Standard Edition, from my 'Packstation'. Couldn't wait for getting back home, so I opened the package in my car and what can I say, I LOVE IT :thumbsup: .

Half an hour later I decided I should drive home, it was way too cold to spend the whole evening in the car :) .

On Saturday the Deluxe Edition is supposed to arrive, how can that one be even better?

I decided to keep both of them and the SE will be my christmas gift to my brother. After all we spent so much time playing games on my Atari 2600 console back then. I'm sure he'll like it too, although he's not such an enthusiast as we are.

Tim are you interested in any print errors we find?

Yes please. In a book this size, despite our best efforts, we thought there might be some that creep through. But please pm me with edits as we will make corrections if there are subsequent editions.

And thanks again to you all for the kind words. It means a ton to get the feedback from you all, especially those I've been interacting with and reading alongside for years in this great community.

• Like 3

Well I've decided I could not justify the huge gap in price, just ordered the standard edition for about 37 euro incl. delivery from Amazon.de

....then again.......I changed my mind......this is probably once in a lifetime. I have _LOVED_ Atari's artwork from the very first arcade machines I encountered. I have always wanted a book like this so I thought WHAT DA HECK....cancelled the standard edition and ordered the Deluxe version....should be here on tuesday.....can't wait !

• Like 3

I've been taking my time reading the deluxe edition. It's something that one should savor. It truly is beautifully designed.

Whether or not you decide to get the deluxe or regular edition, I encourage everyone who has an interest in or passion for video games, not just from the Atari era but also beyond, to purchase a copy and support this endeavor. Showing consumer interest is a great way to get publishers interested in future projects. I think one of the hardest things about this medium is the way that games, platforms, and technologies age out, and so being able to preserve an element of game design (in this case, the art of Atari) is critical for the future of video games. As both a fan and academic, this sort of history should be documented as well as celebrated, and The Art of Atari succeeds admirably on both accounts.

• Like 4

Got it today from the local Chapters (Canada), it was 52.99 but today if you spent more than $50 you get 25% off. :)

I'm loving the book, it's very thorough and it's a good read.. Oh, and the pictures are great too ;-) My kids got a kick out of the different concept drawings for Pac-man.

• Like 1

How long will it be before you get in sales figures? I know you might not be able to pass along exact numbers, but maybe give us a general idea of how it's going. Either way good luck! Hopefully I will get my deluxe edition sooner rather than later.

I have only seen a little bit of numbers and don't know if they are inclusive. I won't know real figures until much later -- as that's not really my area. But I can say that everyone at the publisher has been SUPER happy with the success of the book so far. More sales means communicating to them that there is value in video game history, design interest, etc. Hoping it will lead to future projects -- but that is hopefully a post for another time. :)

• Like 7

I realized the book was mainly about 2600 from the start and there's little wrong with that but.............even before seeing one page of it.......there should be a sequel covering Atari's origins as complete as possible: Arcade.

This is where it all started and there is SOOOOOO much awesomeness in the art of Atari's arcade machines.....

• Like 1