IGNORED

New Harmony product: Harmony Encore

batari

To answer some questions:

At this time there is no Melody Gold (or Melody Golden... stupid trademarks.) Currently, the CPUWIZ board should be sufficient for the larger games and other bankswitch schemes being devised. That's not to say a Melody Golden couldn't someday make sense - it would likely consist of a Melody with a EPROM. We'll just see what the future brings.

Harmony Platinum has a 512k RAM chip that can be configured as ROM or RAM. So yes, you could split it up.

Thanks Fred, maybe I'll actually have them manufactured now. :thumbsup:

You state that people who bought Harmony during/after November, 2013 can get the upgrade. What about people who purchased their Harmony long before then? Can they get upgraded or do they need to buy the HG outright?

Thanks! :)

In that case it wouldn't be an upgrade as the older boards don't have a way to attach the extra hardware, but basically a trade-in, and the fee would be more like $40. I'd then clean up your old cart, upgrade the BIOS and whatever else needs to be done, and offer it as a refurbished Harmony cart for less than a standard edition runs now.

Now, this all depends on how much demand there would be for a lower-cost, refurbished Harmony cart that isn't upgradeable. I'd guess there would be enough demand, but I don't know until I try.

• Like 1

I'd suggest Harmony Plus, since that's effectively what it is. Naming something "gold", "total", "ultimate", "final", or similar leaves nowhere to go but down, should a future revision be desired.

Harmony Golden sounded to me like some limited edition version of Harmony that would be spray-painted gold and sold at a premium to collectors. It also sounds a bit too much like Golden Harmony, which is the name of a Gospel Group, an acupuncture clinic, a Czech music award, a Kung Fu school in Ontario, and probably an online dating service for Senior Citizens.

While I think the Harmony Golden is an admirable goal, I'd be perfectly happy just seeing more Melody boards actually shipping. :ponder:

• Like 1

I'd suggest Harmony Plus, since that's effectively what it is. Naming something "gold", "total", "ultimate", "final", or similar leaves nowhere to go but down, should a future revision be desired.

Harmony Golden sounded to me like some limited edition version of Harmony that would be spray-painted gold and sold at a premium to collectors. It also sounds a bit too much like Golden Harmony, which is the name of a Gospel Group, an acupuncture clinic, a Czech music award, a Kung Fu school in Ontario, and probably an online dating service for Senior Citizens.

While I think the Harmony Golden is an admirable goal, I'd be perfectly happy just seeing more Melody boards actually shipping. :ponder:

I'm still open to names. I liked "gold" because the PCB has gold plating. Apparently "golden" can mean many other things as you've mentioned and now I'm having second thoughts.

So everyone, feel free to keep suggesting. I have thought of the following:

Harmony Aurum/Harmony Kin (Gold in latin/Japanese)

Harmony Forte/Harmony Allegro/Harmony Ensemble/Harmony Coda/Harmony Brass

Harmony Nirvana

Harmony Infinity

And who said there is finality to the above? What's wrong with Harmony Infinity Plus?

• Haha 1