IGNORED

In-place Ultimate 1MB / Incognito ROM editor and flash tool

flashjazzcat

Me again ;) checking traces i found one missing U5 PIN 2 (A12) with U4 PIN 18 (A12) , i do it a bridge, and atari not start :/ i remove the bridge and atari start. Now the service manual have some errors, or my atari is a bit weirdo ;)

greets

Sorry for bug you, but i found something weird. I compared 65XE and 130XE schems of this side, i know is diferrent but really similary and i notify this diference of pins

65130.jpg

A11 with A12 are inverted, this is correct, or some type error in 130xe manual.

EDIT: Now checking the 130XE PDF i have VS other with photos, i see the pins of this area are inverted like 65XE i show...

Greets

Edited by enito

oxyron is very bad example for NTSC machine, since it was designed for PAL and won't run like it should on NTSC, but, the picture of ultimate setup you shown suggest that xilinx chip might have some pins loose - if you can, resolder it, if not, send it over and i'll fix it for you

oxyron is very bad example for NTSC machine, since it was designed for PAL and won't run like it should on NTSC, but, the picture of ultimate setup you shown suggest that xilinx chip might have some pins loose - if you can, resolder it, if not, send it over and i'll fix it for you

Hello Candle, I was wondering If you ever had a chance to send mine back. I have not received any packages yet.

Robert

Hi Candle thx for reply, the problem is not finally U1MB, its was my atari. I checked another U1MB i buyed you and same trouble. I install the chips original for run like original machine, and bing same bugs. Appently i have some ram problems .. thx!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been distracted lately and I may have missed the side-loader fix/update that fixes the "last byte" issue thus enabling uFlash to run completely from FAT32 (no need to mount ATRs or anything)

If that's the case I'd appreciate a pointer to the update XEX.

If not then obviously I'll wait :)

I've been distracted lately and I may have missed the side-loader fix/update that fixes the "last byte" issue thus enabling uFlash to run completely from FAT32 (no need to mount ATRs or anything)

If that's the case I'd appreciate a pointer to the update XEX.

If not then obviously I'll wait :)

When Sebastian sends me the SIDE loader updates which I lost when my HDD went south, I'll release them here immediately. I reminded him a few weeks ago...

• 6 months later...

After getting my Ultimate into a new 800XL, I ran into a flashing problem, ending up with a black non-booting screen. I was attempting to replace the "Diagnostics" rom with a MyBios. Fortunately, I had other programmed flash chips, so I ended up right where I was originally. I remember some discussion about what flash chips could be flashed with UFLASH from a year or so ago, but can't find it now. What chips can be flashed? The one that I had an issue with is an AMIC A29040BL-70F. The others that I have are all SST. These were all programmed with a device programmer. Presume that the SST's should flash readily with UFLASH? (I think that I checked previously with Lotharek, and he was using SST on his V2 products.

-Larry

Thanks. But I was thinking that the 64kb sector issue was resolved. Evidently, I reprogrammed the Amic chip with the device programmer and put it back in the Ultimate. But also looks like I should be fine with the SST chips and Uflash. Probably should toss the Amic chip so it doesn't give me any more grief!

-Larry

Thanks. But I was thinking that the 64kb sector issue was resolved. Evidently, I reprogrammed the Amic chip with the device programmer and put it back in the Ultimate. But also looks like I should be fine with the SST chips and Uflash. Probably should toss the Amic chip so it doesn't give me any more grief!

You should have no issues with 64KB or 4KB sector sizes (both are supported), but of all the PLCCs I've used in Ultimate, only an Amic ever flaked out on me. I binned it, since I could no longer flash it even using a USB programmer.

UFlash could probably use a verify pass, but it would be largely cosmetic anyway, since the programming algorithm does a poll to ensure to the correct data was written to the chip. If it fails, it's usually owing to some general instability, and I found this through pretty exhaustive testing, swapping boards and chips in and out of various machines. There were certain mix-and-match combinations which were less stable than others. Sometimes simple wear and tear on the PLCC socket was to blame (since some of my boards were used for development, the PLCCs were in and out a LOT).

Hi Jon-

Thanks, I did swap out the Amic and used an SST. I re-flashed the "diagnostics" slot and it worked perfectly! I put the Ultimate in a new 800XL mobo, and instead of the vias, I did go ahead and solder the control leads directly to the cpu. I asked Lotharek what he did and when he installs these, and he said "cpu." This was my old V1 Ultimate updated to V2. And UFLASH certainly makes it much easier to update the slots. It is a very nice utility!

-Larry

Thanks Larry. I always use the vias, but I guess it makes no difference. When I did the PBI mod on my 1200XL, I took the data and address lines directly off the back of the board under the CPU socket and it's very stable.

Glad it's working for you, anyway. I'll get back to finishing the upgraded version (SIDE, IDE Plus, etc, support) one of these days. :)

• Like 1

Today, I thought I'd flash a couple of 8K cart images in the BASIC slots. I left regular Atari Basic in slot 1 (BASIC). In slot #2, I flashed the AsmEd image, and in slot #3 I flashed the Altirra Basic image. But I did notice something strange -- when running UFLASH, run under the Ultimate SDX 4.46, it shows 8250 bytes and for OS roms it shows 16500 bytes rather than 8192 and 16384. (Perhaps purposely rounded?) Flashing proceeds to a normal conclusion with no error messages, but when I try to boot to the AsmEd cart, I get Missile Command (and it plays perfectly). When I try to boot to Altirra Basic, I get a black screen. I should mention that I'm using the PC Mirror of APE as the repository of the rom image files. I was originally using the IDE+2 (MyDos) to boot the system, so I disconnected it, but it behaved just the same with no Dos booted. BTW, everything works fine with regular Basic slot.

So, is there a possible problem in using the PC Mirror? The OS slots flashed and work just fine using PC Mirror.

Should I reflash the entire 512K using the stock V2 image and then try everything again? Half afraid to do this, since the OS slots behave just fine?

Any thoughts?

-Larry

Are you talking about file sizes reported by the SDX AtariDOS driver? If so, then file lengths reported by the AtariDOS file system driver are indeed rounded to the nearest whole sector, since DOS 2.0s lacks an accurate file size in the directory. The driver therefore has to calculate the size based on the sector count in the directory, which is clearly rather approximate.

I wasn't aware SDX worked with PC Mirror at all, so maybe strange things are going on here.

Well, it appears that the PC Mirror was the issue. I updated the slots from an SDX formatted ATR, and now they work fine. The PC Mirror appears as a 65535 sector -single density- disk. Seems odd that it does not work correctly, but using the ATR is certainly no problem.

-Larry

Pure speculation here, but there may be a problem relating to the way SDX caches sectors. If the sector numbering scheme used by PC Mirror reuses sector numbers in a way disagreeable to the driver, it will cause problems. At least this is the issue which initially caused AspeQt's folder imaging to be incompatible with SDX. I recall not having much luck using PC Mirror with this DOS.

Edited by flashjazzcat

"...At least this is the issue which initially caused AspeQt's folder imaging to be incompatible with SDX. I recall not having much luck using PC Mirror with this DOS."

Interesting. I've used the PC Mirror for a long time, but always with MyDos. In fact, I was thinking -- how am I going to move the files over from the PC? So I'll give AspeQt a try for moving my files and see if it goes any better. Thanks for the tip!

-Larry

Pure speculation here, but there may be a problem relating to the way SDX caches sectors. If the sector numbering scheme used by PC Mirror reuses sector numbers in a way disagreeable to the driver, it will cause problems. At least this is the issue which initially caused AspeQt's folder imaging to be incompatible with SDX. I recall not having much luck using PC Mirror with this DOS.

Another wild guess:

Do you use file-seeking ("note"/"point") in your flasher?

Quite some long time ago I noticed that this confused APE's PC mirror when used with MyDOS. I just seeked back one byte, this caused MyDOS to re-read the sector and APE to advance to the next data block - seeked 252 bytes forward instead of 1 byte back...

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

Do you use file-seeking ("note"/"point") in your flasher?

Quite some long time ago I noticed that this confused APE's PC mirror when used with MyDOS. I just seeked back one byte, this caused MyDOS to re-read the sector and APE to advance to the next data block - seeked 252 bytes forward instead of 1 byte back...

No, the flasher doesn't do file seeks (there's no need). I wouldn't expect random access to work in these circumstances anyway. An additional problem would be the fact that the ATARIDOS.SYS driver does a full seek from the start of the file every time the file pointer is set.

• 1 month later...

Wow! How did I miss this??

After learning some new things in the other thread about autobooting with U1MB and SIDE2, I realized my SDX didn't have the APT tools (i.e. FDISK) built into the CAR device.

Which led me to needing to flash the U1MB.

Which led me to this thread.

Which led me to say THANK YOU FJC!!

This is the only flasher needed. If only candle could get the side loader updated...but ATRs work fine.

• Like 1