IGNORED

Super Rare pick-up....on accident ;-)

Steve, I verified a lot of what you have on intvfunhouse.com. Most of the manuals that didn't actually have the Playcable serial number and references were the ones that you and Hankster had verified....typically an early generation of the normal manual. I can provide more specific details and pics if you need. There are a couple I saw on your site that had PC- serial numbers that I'm either missing or had a regular version of.

In the manual lot that I originally received, there were also a few seemingly non-PC manuals thrown in (AD&D USA 3410-0920 G1, Checkers Hong Kong 1120-0920-G1, Football Hong Kong 2610-0920©, Football Playbook Hong Kong 2610-0950©, Loco-Motion USA 4438-0920, Carnival 78092, and Carnival 78092B. I assumed these didn't go with the original set.

The ones that I couldn't locate (ones that you had listed on your site as part of the original set) were:

Bump n Jump

Burgertime

Math Fun

Horse Racing

Golf

I didn't count He-man since it seemed like it didn't come with the orig set.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Are we talking about the box that houses the playcable manual or the box the house the entire playcable? I didnt realize there was a special code on the play cable game manuals. So we still dont know how many games were released on the play cable?

Are we talking about the box that houses the playcable manual or the box the house the entire playcable? I didnt realize there was a special code on the play cable game manuals. So we still dont know how many games were released on the play cable?

Sorry, I meant the Playcable manual box. Many of the manuals have the PC- prefix on the serial number, some are just missing the serial number, some just used the regular manuals. This is the 2 hours I spent combing intvfunhouse comparing and contrasting

Yeah, the PC-NNNN-NNN manuals have special instructions regarding how to select the game via the PlayCable menu. Somebody should scan that and put in on a web page or something. :P I don't know if there ever was a box for the PlayCable unit itself available to consumers. If it was anything like it is today, the provider probably just trashed them and handed the unboxed systems to customers directly, just like they do w/ cable boxes and remotes today. Would be an incredible find though.

Yeah, the PC-NNNN-NNN manuals have special instructions regarding how to select the game via the PlayCable menu. Somebody should scan that and put in on a web page or something.

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I need some clarification on the Playcable manuals - is the way to identify them by the PC-NNNN-NNN that appears on the back of the manual? Are there other tell-tale signs?

The most indisputable identifier is the PC- part number. Only PlayCable manuals have a part number starting with PC-. The remaining digits are usually the same as a regular manual. For example:

Regular AD&D part number on front of manual: 3410-0920

PlayCable part number on back of manual: PC-3410-0920

Also, confirmed PlayCable manuals NEVER have a part number on the front cover, and ALWAYS have a PC- part number on the back. I don't have scans of this yet, but most of the PC- manuals replace the standard boilerplate text of inserting a cartridge with instructions on how to navigate the PlayCable system to get your game. Obviously that is also incontrovertible evidence of the PlayCableness of a manual.

Then, of course, there are the manuals that have surfaced in multiple PlayCable sets that have NO part number on them at all, such as Motocross. What are these? According to the Intellivision Lives! site, the PlayCable unit did not have enough RAM to store the newer games, so it couldn't have played them. Did manuals get printed and sent out before this technical limitation was discovered? Some PlayCable boxes have standard manuals in them for games that other sets have PC- manuals. It seems that it's somewhat of a hodge-podge.

Hope this helps.

The most indisputable identifier is the PC- part number. Only PlayCable manuals have a part number starting with PC-. The remaining digits are usually the same as a regular manual. For example:

Regular AD&D part number on front of manual: 3410-0920

PlayCable part number on back of manual: PC-3410-0920

Also, confirmed PlayCable manuals NEVER have a part number on the front cover, and ALWAYS have a PC- part number on the back. I don't have scans of this yet, but most of the PC- manuals replace the standard boilerplate text of inserting a cartridge with instructions on how to navigate the PlayCable system to get your game. Obviously that is also incontrovertible evidence of the PlayCableness of a manual.

Then, of course, there are the manuals that have surfaced in multiple PlayCable sets that have NO part number on them at all, such as Motocross. What are these? According to the Intellivision Lives! site, the PlayCable unit did not have enough RAM to store the newer games, so it couldn't have played them. Did manuals get printed and sent out before this technical limitation was discovered? Some PlayCable boxes have standard manuals in them for games that other sets have PC- manuals. It seems that it's somewhat of a hodge-podge.

Hope this helps.

Indeed. Thanks!

The packet I have has many manuals with PC- numbers, but I also have some of the ones lacking numbers. These numberless ones are the only ones like them I've seen. Most of the normal versions of these have a number. Some of mine actually had regular non-PC- serial numbers, however they matched (Same version) those found in other packets (referenced on Steve's site). There are also some that were identified on Steve's site that are known to have PC- numbers, but I didn't have those versions (I had other versions, also referenced on the site). Hope this helps. If I'm adventurous enough, I might make a list of what my set came with.

Cool. So far I've only gotten a few sets of detailed responses about what has been found in these 'kits'. Each one seems somewhat unique -- a few normal manuals mixed in with a large number of PC-* ones. I think mine may have come with a Sears Sub Hunt manual, of all things, even though the PC- exists.

• 6 years later...
On 1/23/2014 at 11:42 PM, intvsteve said:

Cool. So far I've only gotten a few sets of detailed responses about what has been found in these 'kits'. Each one seems somewhat unique -- a few normal manuals mixed in with a large number of PC-* ones. I think mine may have come with a Sears Sub Hunt manual, of all things, even though the PC- exists.

This post is a little on the old side, but are you still looking for playcable manual data?  I finally got around to going through my ‘kit’ and made notes of pc manuals vs normal manuals. I can supply if desired. 

1 hour ago, Atari_Bill said:

This post is a little on the old side, but are you still looking for playcable manual data?  I finally got around to going through my ‘kit’ and made notes of pc manuals vs normal manuals. I can supply if desired. 

That would be great! Data to use to update the database, possibly if you have scans for anything lacking, etc. -- all is appreciated!

On 1/16/2014 at 3:57 PM, intvsteve said:

Yeah, the PC-NNNN-NNN manuals have special instructions regarding how to select the game via the PlayCable menu. Somebody should scan that and put in on a web page or something. :P I don't know if there ever was a box for the PlayCable unit itself available to consumers. If it was anything like it is today, the provider probably just trashed them and handed the unboxed systems to customers directly, just like they do w/ cable boxes and remotes today. Would be an incredible find though.

Reading back through this thread today it turns out they did come in a box ?

1 minute ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

Yes, between the 4-5+ of us with sets we could make a decent list.  I'll post mine soon.

Not sure if I actually gave Steve my list. I know I checked them against Steve's list but not sure if I communicated my findings either.