IGNORED

HSC11 Season 11 - Welcome - Info - Play List

Never play Jet Set Willy on the Atari, seem to remember it being difficult on one of the other formats I played it on.

Wouldn't mind giving it a go

How about Joe Blade, was that any good?

Alway liked Jungle Hunt, wasn't any good at it though!

Jet Boot Jack is excellent, as we found out last year

My choice for 'J' games:

1. Jawbreaker (1981)(Sierra On-Line)[Play under NTSC with artifacting for color] - A very early Pac-Man clone on the Atari. The book "Hackers" talk about this game. Jawbreaker II, first made on the 2600, looks similar on the Atari 8-bit, but is an absolute wreck on all other platforms. Avoid the sequel at all costs!
  2. Jetboy (2007)(XXL)[Jetpac Clone] - Speccy players are always talking about Jetpac, which I've only played in passing. This ought to set it right! An excellent game.
  3. Juice! (1983)(Tronix Software) - Sorta like a Q*bert game... but it's not a rip-off of that game. The box's description of the game has far too many puns for its own good!
  4. Jungle Boy (1983)(Irata Verlag)[starring... a Bounty Bob look-alike!] - Reminds my of Donkey Kong Jr. Seeing this Bounty Bob fellow sure makes the game look familair, but the similarity ends with the looks.
  5. Jumpman (1983)(Epyx)[Grand Loop for all 30 levels] - I grew up playing this on the C64. This Atari looks about the same, but there is just something about the gameplay that makes it better. One of the best NTSC games.
  6. Jumpman #1 (1983?)[beta Version of Jumpman] - I only just found this today while searching for 'J' games. Gave it a try. Not bad? Does anyone know the story behind this? This is probably just a curiosity, but it's worth putting out there.
  7. Jumpman Junior (1983)(Epyx) - Originally played this on my friend's Coleco Adam. Again, this Atari version is best.

There are quite a few interesting "J" games. I'd like to see other people's suggestions. Or, heck, if you have no game ideas on what to play then what should we avoid?

• Like 1

Some good suggestions keep 'em coming :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liking Jet Set Willy (2007) ver if it's NTSC too

Jawbreaker's good and theres a few hacks to make that interesting

Joe Blade was ok but perhaps as a bonus

Jungle Hunt is a regular but seems to have 1 hard section, jungle boy double bill perhaps

forgot Jumpman and Jr were also played last season so they're canned too which just about kills of bally's list ;-) though Jet boy and the new Lunar Jet Man could be an option :-o

I like Kangaroo :thumbsup: poached :D (don't tell bluecat)

The K-Razy trio idea is nice too :thumbsup:

It will be a 2 week round with both J and K games...

Somehow or other the season will end around mid jan, there will probably be some longer rounds and a couple of doubled up rounds to keep things interesting, perhaps a mid season special after M but more on that nearer the time :)

p.s. there are not 52 weeks in a year :grin:

I didn't realize the round is going to be combined. So, here are my 'K' choices:

1. Kaboom! (1983)(Activision) - This game is the reason to own paddles and real hardware. Neat two-player version of this allows one player to play the buckets and the other player to play the Mad Bomber.
  2. Kangaroo (1983)(Atari)[APX Version] - A fun version of the Arcade game... which I can see someone else mentioned.
  3. Kid Grid (1982)(Tronix) - Amidar/Pepper II clone.
  4. King Arthur's Heir (1982)(Epyx) - This is a BASIC game RPG game-- um, I think. I've not played it, but it is from the maker's of Apshai, so I'm curious about it.
  5. King of the Castle (1983)(General Master Corp) - Deadly walls. No animation for your stick-figure-like character. Dated sound effects even in 1983. Type-in game quality. Joystick control that's not quite right. And yet... I gave it go and found it strangely interesting.
  6. King Tut's Tomb (1986-ish)(Antic) - This is a commercial Tutankham clone published by Antic magazine. Quite good and very-much worth playing.
  7. Kissin' Kousins (1985)(English Software) - A platformer where you jump a lot.
  8. Koffi - Yellow Koptor (2002) - This is a great, early-ish homebrew game for the 5200 that was then brought over to the 8-bit. I like it because it's not a rip-off of anything and seems like it would fit into an any arcade, circa 1983 or so. This reminds me of something Konami might have made. If you haven't played it then you owe it to yourself to give it a "whirl." Ugh, bad pun.
  9. Koronis Rift (1985)(Epyx/Lucasfilm Games) - I never played this but I've heard raves about it. It looks quite time-consuming to learn to play and those who haven't played it will probably be at a major disadvantage here.
  10. K-Star Patrol (1982)(CBS Software) - A basic horizontal shooter that looks like classic arcade stuff. In my brief stint with it I found it controlled well and held my attention for longer than I expected.

Those are my choices. Now, we're not adding a third letter this round, are we?!

• Like 1

Jumpman and Jr were also played last season so they're canned too which just about kills of bally's list

There's no problem about the Jumpman games being automatically shot down. I never liked those games anyway. Sour grapes! ;)

I hope that we don't play the K-Razy games. I always thought that those were very poorly made games and not fun at all. Still, if they're played then I'll see how long I can put up with them. At least they'll only come up in the 'K' selection.

Some good suggestions keep 'em coming :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liking Jet Set Willy (2007) ver if it's NTSC too

Jawbreaker's good and theres a few hacks to make that interesting

Joe Blade was ok but perhaps as a bonus

Jungle Hunt is a regular but seems to have 1 hard section, jungle boy double bill perhaps

forgot Jumpman and Jr were also played last season so they're canned too which just about kills of bally's list ;-) though Jeb boy and the new Lunar Jet Man could be an option :-o

I like Kangaroo :thumbsup: poached :D (don't tell bluecat)

The K-Razy trio idea is nice too :thumbsup:

It will be a 2 week round with both J and K games...

Somehow or other the season will end around mid jan, there will probably be some longer rounds and a couple of doubled up rounds to keep things interesting, perhaps a mid season special after M but more on that nearer the time :)

p.s. there are not 52 weeks in a year :grin:

Are you sure you don't want to have just a J round and a K round?

Another K game K*Bert

Your not gonna combine more letters later in the season?

Are you sure you don't want to have just a J round and a K round?

Another K game K*Bert

Your not gonna combine more letters later in the season?

ok just J games if it makes you happy...

??? yes I am gonna at some point... probably ;)

...I hope that we don't play the K-Razy games. I always thought that those were very poorly made games and not fun at all. Still, if they're played then I'll see how long I can put up with them. At least they'll only come up in the 'K' selection.

K-razy Shootout is very good :thumbsup:

POLL starts tomorrow :)

• Like 1

I hope that we don't play the K-Razy games. I always thought that those were very poorly made games and not fun at all. Still, if they're played then I'll see how long I can put up with them. At least they'll only come up in the 'K' selection.

I think it was Dave Barry who wrote that in English words with a "k" are generally funny, with "pike" being the only exception... probably the guys behind the "K-games" wanted to take advantage of that....

• 2 weeks later...

L.A SWAT

The Lone Raider

Think my choice would be Lone Raider, one of the best games for the A8, well one of my favourites anyway. Must be one of the best budget games ever made for any format. It still amazes me that it was made by a kid!

Edited by McKong

L:

Landscape

Larkanoid

Laser Hawk

The Last Guardian

The Last Starfighter

Leaper

Line-Up

Liner!

Livewire

Loco

The Lone Rider

LA 1984 Games

Nice suggestions Sikor, It's about time Landscape (Stealth) got a play though think it might be a bit easy perhaps?

Is Lemmings any good for the A8?

Yes I think the Datari Lemmings was ok but not as good as The Brundles of course ;)

lemmings.png

the_brundles.png

My Pick is the excellent Lost Tomb :)

lost_tomb.png

Keep the suggestions coming everyone - the L Games round will start after the next one, yes AFTER the next one ;)

games I remember that weren't half bad.

Landscape: a buck rodgers type game where you fly towards a tower and destroy it (does it end? I cannot remember)

Lone Ranger: shoot robots side-scroller. Don't remember much about this one.

Labryinth: the one with the guys in the corners of the maze. A dot collector I think.

Lord of the Orb: collect treasures in the maze while avoiding enemies.

Laser Gates: cannot remember if I played this version or the 2600 one.

Last Star Fighter: I remember beating this one. Don't remember how many times in a row before (or if) it gets any harder.

Livewire: a decent Tempest clone.

I wouldn't mind playing the Landers games. I loved the arcade version.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find many M's that I like, it's a shame that Manic Miner isn't finished

I've not played in the last few rounds... but here are some suggestions for "M" games.

1. Marauder (Stage 1:Stratos) (1982) (Sierra On-Line) - A really great game. On the disk this is broken into two different games, but it's really just level 1 and 2 of Marauder.
  2. Marauder (Stage 2:Marauder) (1982) (Sierra On-Line) - See the 2600 review of this game that I with a friend a few years ago: http://www.orphanedgames.com/articles/Marauder_Review/Marauder_Review%20%28Atari%202600%29.html
  3. Mario Bros. (1983)(Atari - Glenn the 5200 Port) - Which version is better? This one, or....
  4. Mario Bros. (1988)(Atari) - this version?
  5. Master of the Lamps (1985)(Activision) - Nice graphic effects in this game. Not really played it much.
  6. Megamania (1983)(Activision) - You get to control your appetite by shooting at hamburgers. What more could you want?
  7. Meteorites (1983/2005 )Electra Concepts / Homesoft - Port of 5200 Asteroids clone. Very hard on 5200 with standard 5200 controllers. Not tried the port to Atari 8-Bit.
  8. Millipede (1984) (Atari) - Wonderful game and works really well with the Atari Trak-Ball in joystick mode.
  9. Miner 2049'er (1982)(Big Five Software) - I love it... but a few people are gonna whomp us all!
  10. Missile Command (1982)(Atari) - A classic. Can press a key sequence (CTRL-M?) and use an an ST mouse. How's that possible since the game came out three years before the ST?!?
  11. Monster Smash! (1983)(Datamost) - Never played it. Video on YouTube makes it look neat.
  12. Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Bros.) - Never have beat this game.
  13. Montezuma's Revenge (?) - Original Release. This one has the ropes on fire and is larger. Haven't played it much and don't know where to find it)
  14. Moon Patrol (1983) (Atari) - Super fun. Lots of parallex scrolling.
  15. Moon Shuttle (1983)(Datamost) - I used to play the C64 version of this back in the day. The C64 version is better than the arcade version, I think. Never played the Atari version.
  16. Mountain King (1983) (CBS Software) - I've most of my experience with the 2600 version.
  17. Mouskattack (Sierra On-Line)(1981) - Fun.
  18. Mr. Cool (Sierra On-Line)(1983) - A Q*Bert clone. Not bad.
  19. Mr. Dig (MicroDeal)(1984) - A Mr. Do! clone. Never played it.
  20. Mr. Do! (1983) (Datasoft) - A solid arcade translation.
  21. Mr. Do!'s Castle (1984)(Parker Bros.) - I never liked the graphics in this version-- but the gameplay is there.
  22. Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory (1983)(Datamost) - A great Miner 2049'er type game but with a contruction set.
  23. Ms. Pac-Man (1983) (Atari) - In case you've never heard of this, it was an unpopular sequel to a little-known arcade game called Pac-Man.
  24. MULE (Electronic Arts)(1983) - Might this be the year I learn to play this game?!?

When looking through the list over at AtariMania I saw that, Wow!, there sure are a LOT of math "games" for the Atari!

I used to really like "Maze" games (like Maze Craze on 2600). If there one like that on the Atari that is good (and isn't another Pac-Man clone)?

Um, "Magazine" starts with an "M." How about someone's favorite Magazine type-in game?

Oh, and for "L" I'd like to open discussion for Lunar Lander games. Ever since watching the movie Gravity (three times in the theater!) I've had this type of game on my mind.

• MULE (Electronic Arts)(1983) - Might this be the year I learn to play this game?!?

Oh, and for "L" I'd like to open discussion for Lunar Lander games. Ever since watching the movie Gravity (three times in the theater!) I've had this type of game on my mind.

YES MULE - play with a friend (or three if you can). See the eternal M*U*L*E HSC thread for details :)

If Lander games don't will the current poll we will pencil it in for next season, there are a bunch of them to explore!

a couple from page 1...

Megamania

Mario Bros

Trbb, what do you think about special round with Pirx's Chip8 emulators games? We can use that, wchich has points...attachicon.gifChip8.atr

looks interesting Sikor, which are the best games?

Moon Patrol
Miner 2049er

Yeah I know but they're good games

I couldn't find many M's that I like, it's a shame that Manic Miner isn't finished

Would be great if someone finds a version of Miner where the impossible levels are possible -there is a thread on the programming forum. If anyone here has a cart ver please check out skill 5 zone 5/6 ish

I've not played in the last few rounds... but here are some suggestions for "M" games.

Some very good suggestions from BallyAlley (post above) :thumbsup:

Some comments on the lesser known ones Master of the lamps is fun and looks great but no score, land and replicate the small tune with your hammer. Monster Smash is ok for a quick go. Mr Do!'s Castle is good but takes some getting used to (think I have a hack with extra lives!) Mountain King is good but I never seem to get it sussed.

Mr. TNT is a very good game. Mig Alley Ace - I used to like this despite it being slow to play. Moustrap was this any good? Perhaps it's time for Mr Robot Plus "the Goochman/Kendallsoft screens" to make an airing ;)

It's going to be tough to get this down to 7/8 choices for the poll!

Please suggest other games or 2nd any of these folks, the vote will start on Sunday :spidey:

Looking over Atari Mania's Top 100

M.U.L.E. - Doesn't really lend itself to solo play. Too many random events determine how successful you are as a colony or versus the COM.

Monazuma's Revenge - (there is a sequel too!)I seem to remember beating this a couple of times. I think the enemies just get faster. Still, not a bad choice.

3-D Maze - never played it. I remember another maze game that wasn't bad, but this doesn't appear to be it.

Missile Command - a great game, and a good implementation of the Arcade. If mouse / trackballs are supported I would love to play this.

Mercenary - Escape from Targ - Never played this. I will have to give it a try.

Mr.Robot - and R. factory - this one is a lot of fun. I remember beating it. Don't know if it starts over or not.

Mario Bros. - a great game.

Moon Patrol - I seem to remember playing this one forever.

Other games I remember (will update a little later)

Matterhorn - Shoot birds, dodge rocks. I seem to remember this game being ok.

Miner 49er, Megamania, Mnt. King, Mr. do, Mr. do's Castle, millipede - not going to rehash what others have said, these are fine games.

M.A.S.H. - I seem to remember this game being too easy and that it could be played indefinitely.

Mail order Monsters - don't remember this one, but do remember people saying it was good.

Several themes could be made in the 'M's. Micro Adventures (probably not as good as SCUMM). Maze games, brain games (Mastermind, Minesweeper, Master chess).

One things for sure, there are a glut of educational games in the M section to weed through.

Edited by CapitanClassic