IGNORED

New Alternate Controllers

outlier

Is anyone out there making improved controllers for the Colecovision? I know there's the action replay and some third party ones that have been made over the years but is anything being made now?

I'd love to have a wide Genesis controller with a number pad in the middle.

I don't know of anyone that sells them. Mine was modded for me.

@ Ataribrian - yes you still need the keypad plugged into the other controller port (I can't remember if its keypad in 1 and genesis pad in 2 or viceversa) but that's just for selecting the game, level, speed, etc. At least for the games I play. There very well may be some CV games that need the keypad for actual gameplay.

cheapest option is to hack a Genesis pad and standard Coleco controller together. You wire the Genesis switches (up, down, left, right, a,b,c) into the contacts on the Coleco controller. This works really well.

I made a arcade controller pcb for $23 shipped, but you need to provide the parts.

The complete controller I use to make costs too much (around 200) and hence I sold so few and no longer make them, something like the pic below.

Collectorvision I think might be making more of their Arcade Quality Controller

post-27883-0-58600200-1389745302_thumb.jpg

Edited by grips03

cheapest option is to hack a Genesis pad and standard Coleco controller together. You wire the Genesis switches (up, down, left, right, a,b,c) into the contacts on the Coleco controller. This works really well.

I made a arcade controller pcb for $23 shipped, but you need to provide the parts.

The complete controller I use to make costs too much (around 200) and hence I sold so few and no longer make them, something like the pic below.

Collectorvision I think might be making more of their Arcade Quality Controller

Wow that arcade pad looks awesome.

The collectorvision one with shipping is right around 200 or more also .

I could imagine paying up to $50 for the one I described wanting. You can get a new reproduction Genesis controller for $15 I can't imagine it would cost a ton more to have a small keypad in the center.

Yes I know and they looked very nice . If I seen one in person I would probably buy one .

The problem with those controller is the price and I'm the first to admit it

But, like I said those are not cheap to make, .... Sadly :(

To have a good price controller, we would need a mold to "mass" produce them

Then we would have a good price per controller

I'm thinking to go kickstarter but I'm just not sure yet

Is anyone out there making improved controllers for the Colecovision? I know there's the action replay and some third party ones that have been made over the years but is anything being made now?

I'd love to have a wide Genesis controller with a number pad in the middle.

From past discussions on these forums, I'd say there are two distinct audiences for an "improved controller for ColecoVision": The first audience wants something with a D-Pad (like NES or Genesis) while the other audience believes putting a D-Pad on a ColecoVision controller is a sacrilege. So you can't please everybody.

My point of view on the subject is that it's not a controller that is really needed, it's a simple adaptor. Something small that the player plugs into the joystick port of the CV console, and lets him use a Genesis or NES controller on a CV without having to take the controller apart and rewire it for proper compatibility. Once you have that adaptor, you can just track down a functionnal Genesis/NES/whatever controller, and if that controller breaks one day, you can just try to find another one and use it with the adaptor.

It's hard to evaluate the final pricetag of such a Genesis-to-CV or NES-to-CV adaptor, but it would probably be a more reliable piece of hardware than a dedicated joypad/joystick.

• Like 4

That's true, go and find a copy for less than that. The cheapest on eBay that has sold in the last year sold for $500. Have you ever priced a custom arcade controller before? They go way above $250.

More importantly... How do you like the game? Is it everything you thought it would be?

Most importantly... When can I buy it back? :(

Im liking it a lot. It made me want to go back and play ghost n goblins on the nes. I forgot how hard that game was. Im thinking about selling it in a week or two. Don't worry I'll let you know when I do. I have kept it wrapped in bubble wrap, and up on a high shelf. Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to play this amazing game!

From past discussions on these forums, I'd say there are two distinct audiences for an "improved controller for ColecoVision": The first audience wants something with a D-Pad (like NES or Genesis) while the other audience believes putting a D-Pad on a ColecoVision controller is a sacrilege. So you can't please everybody.

My point of view on the subject is that it's not a controller that is really needed, it's a simple adaptor. Something small that the player plugs into the joystick port of the CV console, and lets him use a Genesis or NES controller on a CV without having to take the controller apart and rewire it for proper compatibility. Once you have that adaptor, you can just track down a functionnal Genesis/NES/whatever controller, and if that controller breaks one day, you can just try to find another one and use it with the adaptor.

It's hard to evaluate the final pricetag of such a Genesis-to-CV or NES-to-CV adaptor, but it would probably be a more reliable piece of hardware than a dedicated joypad/joystick.

I think I have to agree with you. I'm in the genesis controller mindset you were talking about. If there were just a cord that plugs into the CV with a little adapter box a few inches away that you can plug any genesis controller into that would do what I want perfectly. I didn't know collectorvision was already working on a controller though. I would get one of those for sure if they put them up.

I just got my first Coleco and every controller I got in the lot (4!) was absolute shite. So I am using a genesis controller. Do you really need a keypad to start the games? The d pad for thesega pad seems to read up and down as 2 player modes, and left and right as one player modes....any chance diagonals are the other 4 options? No one has mapped this out yet?

Also, I got a pack of games from Mumbai the other day (in mint shape!) and while Gorf works fine, Time Pilot crashes to a black screen with music (which loops) within seconds of starting the game. Could this possibly be because I am using the Sega pad?

And when People say the Sega pad has to be rewired for functionality, why is that? Are there two button games (aside from using keypad I mean)? I assumed both left and right buttons on the coleco controller were the same button....but since none of mine work I can't test that!