IGNORED

New Alternate Controllers

outlier

And when People say the Sega pad has to be rewired for functionality, why is that? Are there two button games (aside from using keypad I mean)? I assumed both left and right buttons on the coleco controller were the same button....but since none of mine work I can't test that!

Not all joypads are made the same internally. A Sega pad is designed to be used with a Sega machine, and nothing else, even if they use the same D9 connector. So to make it work on the ColecoVision, you have to open it up and play with the wires, and that implies that you have to know what you're doing. Even if you get the modded controller working, if it breaks one day, you'll have to track down another working controller and do the mod all over again.

The left and right trigger buttons on a ColecoVision controller are not the same. In many games such as Donkey Kong or Zaxxon, pressing either buttons does the same thing (i.e. jumping/shooting) but in many other games like Cosmic Avenger or Roc'n Rope, the two buttons perform different functions.

Not all joypads are made the same internally. A Sega pad is designed to be used with a Sega machine, and nothing else, even if they use the same D9 connector. So to make it work on the ColecoVision, you have to open it up and play with the wires, and that implies that you have to know what you're doing. Even if you get the modded controller working, if it breaks one day, you'll have to track down another working controller and do the mod all over again.

The left and right trigger buttons on a ColecoVision controller are not the same. In many games such as Donkey Kong or Zaxxon, pressing either buttons does the same thing (i.e. jumping/shooting) but in many other games like Cosmic Avenger or Roc'n Rope, the two buttons perform different functions.

While I am fairly ignorant of wiring compared to an expert or hobby craftsman I am aware of the bolded, as though i am new to Coleco I do own lots of Ataris and Segas. What I was really interested in is what "make it work" means to it's full degree. For instance using your example, the sega pad works just fine for me (a la a sega pad on a 7800) for one button games like Donkey Kong. But I know my Sega pad SCREWS UP some of my 7800 games too (gives me autofire whether I like it or not in Xevious for example!)

Is the two button functionality (much like the 7800) the lone factor here in 100% "making it work"? (outside the keypad to start the games of course). Or are there games where if you have the wrong peripheral plugged in it will actually mess them up or affect the program? This goes back to my Time Pilot cart question which looks brand freaking new (and everything else Mumbai sent me works flawless) but glitches out mere seconds into the game. Could my Sega pad be causing some issues?

And again....just playing with it for a few days I know the Sega up/down are two player modes and left/right are one player modes. Does anyone know if this maps consistently and if the diagonals also make a discreet difficulty/player selection? Since hitting a diagonal could register as a left/right OR an up/down singularly and I don't know these games super well (so wont' notice difficulty variations by the seat of my pants), I am having a hard time testing this myself.

I would just be happy with a 1-piece ball-end joystick replacement that I could just replace on my own. 3D print it, mill it, something inexpensive and practical. I open up the CV controller, take out the stock stick, put in the aftermarket stick & put it back together. No mailing off an entire controller to do something one can do in 5 minutes. :)

I've been looking into this for a while now. At the moment I am using a regular CV controller that I modded with a coleco Gemini stick years ago. I dyed it red and looks kinda like the Onyx prototype controllers in a way. :-)

I also have a Genesis and a Jaguar controller, both ready for modification. However I cannot find any solid instructions for this diy mod anywhere and am kinda stumped so they're just sitting there until I can get some more reliable information on this.. Internal pics would help more than anything.