IGNORED

TRS-80 controller observation.

simbalion

First off, they seem pretty rugged. One of the two controllers I am testing my two Color Computers with was dug out of a flooded basement years back. The screws are rusty and it was pretty stiff until I used it some today. Actually still works good.

Now, I noticed another oddity. I pulled out my Color Computer 1 (memory unknown, has Extended Color Basic) and proceeded to try and plug both controllers into it. My better controller would plug in, the other wouldn't go fully past the plastic opening. After looking at both controllers, I found out why. One appears to be older and the rubber or plastic boot around the plug is tapered! The second controller has a newer date code and the rubber boot is thicker, not allowing it to go past the plastic openings around the CoCo 1's controller ports. They both work on my CoCo 2. I have a third controller I just saw a week ago, so I need to find it and see if it is tapered or not. Has anyone else ran across this difference?

I have 2. Both are non-tapered. One has a missing button, but it still works to press on the little nub. The controllers work pretty well, considering that they are non-centering analog sticks. Comfortable to hold, easy to use.

I must admit, I always kinda liked these odd joysticks. Since Radio Shack was the only 'computer store' I was exposed to as a kid in the 80's, I remember these when they were new and on display. To me, they were what computer joysticks were supposed to be like and game systems had either the Atari style Joystick or the NES controller. You are right that they seem to fit in the hand rather well and are fairly responsive once you get used to them.

The CoCo joysticks are OK for certain things, but for the kind of twitchy platforming you get in Downland they really aren't ideal. Between the Atari 2600 and the NES, the only other systems I had at home were the Atari 5200 and the CoCo, so it felt like a world full of slippery analog controls for a while there. :D

I like the deluxe model sticks. Was never too fond of the little sticks. I have noticed, of the ones I own, that the older ones with metal sticks seem to be of higher quality than the newer ones with plastic sticks. Good controllers for Double Back and Space Assault.

All the controllers I've ever tried with my coco 1 fit in the port, but I know what you mean. The "boot" on the DIN hits the case and you have to flex it up slightly to allow the boot to slide under the case opening.

The little black coco joysticks are great for certain games like doubleback or clowns and balloons. For more twitch style games the deluxe joysticks or even better, the pistol grip joysticks are the best.

There's also a Wico Command control stick that has a coco version but I've never personally seen one and I think I recall ads in Rainbow magazine for adapters to use Atari joysticks on a coco.

There's also this one I picked up about a year or so ago. I've seen them for Atari before but never a coco version before. Pretty responsive stick and will work with a lefty or a righty with a flip of a switch on the back:

post-2493-0-51797400-1389813276_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There's also this one I picked up about a year or so ago. I've seen them for Atari before but never a coco version before. Pretty responsive stick and will work with a lefty or a righty with a flip of a switch on the back:

attachicon.gifcoco commander joystick.jpg

I actually have one of those for the Apple II. It makes sense that there'd be a Coco version, though I never saw it before.

The little black coco joysticks are great for certain games like doubleback or clowns and balloons. For more twitch style games the deluxe joysticks or even better, the pistol grip joysticks are the best.

There's also a Wico Command control stick that has a coco version but I've never personally seen one and I think I recall ads in Rainbow magazine for adapters to use Atari joysticks on a coco.

attachicon.gifcoco commander joystick.jpg

That Joystick looks really cool. Nice find.

I have a couple of those atari joystick converters by Wico. They are a single box with 2 female atari ports and 2 DIN cables to go to the coco.

They work very well but you get the same problem you get with digital sticks on the 5200.. It is not good for all the games for obvious reasons.

Edited by Official Ninja

• 2 weeks later...