IGNORED

HSC11 Round 1: "A" Atari Invaders & AE

Invaders 12460 :sleep:

Tried AE and it crashed on the 2nd level :mad:

I've tested the AE ATR on my 130XE using APE and A OK :D (see post #1 for info)

"Rusty" for AI is an understatement

For AE I finally figured out how to shoot. LMAO. Years of not liking this game all because I didn't know how to shoot.

BTW, with the disk version are the enemy ships better defined and brighter than in the 5200 conversion?

New one to me too, liking it a lot - read up the atarimania instructions for a chortle something about rogue pollution control ships!

Yes the 5200 port seems flickery and not as good (unusually) - didn't see if it had extra stage graphics.

I'm having trouble getting AE to play. Can we use the 5200 version?

NO! I've added details for Altirra and Atari800win/+4.0 to post #1 - if you're still stuck let me know what setup/what happens ;)

Hi guys, I am extremely noob to Atari 8-bit.

1600 for Atari Invaders

I haven't gotten AE to run right yet. Finally figured out how to load from a floppy disk but then it bugged on me lol. I will keep messing with it but since the closest I've gotten is the 800 XL I use as a display piece I don't really know what I'm doing yet! :P

Hi Algus, welcome aboard :thumbsup: I've added some info to the first post for APE users - if you're on real drive disk copy both sides of the ATR to a floppy and it should be ok - if not post what happens and we will assist :)

AE is A 2-sided ATR/disk image - not many games are like this (most are single XEX files) so if we can all get this going we should be in good stead for the season :)

I'll put the first table on later and we can see what is what with the scoring :grin:

I have managed to play both "AE" and "Atari Invaders" without trouble. I'm not good yet (and probably won't be), so I have no scores to post as of yet.

I am playing "Atari Invaders" on real hardware (Atari 130XE with 8Mbit AtariMax Flashcart) and "AE" in Altirra emulating a 130XE and 128K of RAM.

Comments on "AE:"

1. I notice that when people post screenshots of their "AE" high scores, the screenshot are monochrome. This game has color by using artifacting. To see it in Altirra make sure to turn on artifacting (which is off by default). On the Menu choose System > Video and then select "NTSC Artifacting (Standard)." Now the game will play in color as it should. I imagine this is the color scheme used on the Apple II, which means garish colors... but some color is better than no color.
  2. "AE" is extremely fast. The enemies enter the screen and are then off of it again in ten seconds. Is this the normal playspeed?
  3. The shooting method is one that I've not sceen before. Rather than shooting "bullets" or seem to be firing "Rockets." The "rockets" move up until I release the fire button and then it explodes. A well-aimed explosion can take out all the enemies on the screen. Pretty neat!
  4. I'm, looking for instructions for "AE." I'd prefer scans of the Atari version, but scans of any version of the game for any platform will probably do fine. Can anyone point me to some scans of the docs? Or, in a pinch, to a text-version of the docs?

Comments on Atari Invaders:

1. I've played "Atari Invaders" before, but the vesion I played didn't have a title screen. This version has a title screen that calls the game "Space Invaders." Also, the first screen has the word joystick misspelled as "jjoystick," which is weird. I bet this is probably not the proper release of the game (I don't recall this misspelling from years ago). Since we're all playing the same version of the game and comparing our scores against one another I suppose it doesn't matter if the game has other changes, but is there a version that is closer to the released version?
  2. I can't find any information about "Atari Invaders." All my searches keep leading me to "Space Invaders" information. What company released "Atari Invaders?" What formats were made of it (cart, tape, disk)?
  3. I can't find instructions for this game either (not that they seem to be required). Still, I'd like to see the original box and instructions if they are available someplace. Original artwork gets my mind into the mindset of the game's release time-period. It puts me in the mood for the game.
  4. I like that the UFO/Mother Ship that comes along above the invades releases more invaders onto the screen. This is what a Mother Ship would be doing. I DON'T like that the UFO can be onsceen and then release more invaders after you've shot the last invader. Then again, I guess the Mother Ship would want to do that too.

I'll be out of town for about a full week before the competition is over, so I expect I won't do well this round... but I'm going to try anyway. And... this is good practice for getting my emulation use skills back up to speed. I'm also going to try loading "AE" on my real 130XE using my old serial SIO2PC. It's been YEARS since I've used that device-- it'll be fun to tear it out again.

Thanks for the opportunity to play some games I don't have much expience with already.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble getting AE to play. Can we use the 5200 version?

NO! I've added details for Altirra and Atari800win/+4.0 to post #1 - if you're still stuck let me know what setup/what happens ;)

---------

LOL, I'm having trouble getting the second disk to start without crashing.

Could you make a 1 disk version?

Comments on Atari Invaders:

1. I've played "Atari Invaders" before, but the vesion I played didn't have a title screen. This version has a title screen that calls the game "Space Invaders." Also, the first screen has the word joystick misspelled as "jjoystick," which is weird. I bet this is probably not the proper release of the game (I don't recall this misspelling from years ago). Since we're all playing the same version of the game and comparing our scores against one another I suppose it doesn't matter if the game has other changes, but is there a version that is closer to the released version?

Well, if you wait a little longer before starting the game, you will see, that one of the Invaders shoots the "j" of the misspelled "JJoystick": http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-atari-invaders_380.html

Besides the different title and some colour changes, what is the big difference between Atari Invaders and Deluxe Invaders ?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-deluxe-invaders_1573.html

-Andreas Koch.

---------

LOL, I'm having trouble getting the second disk to start without crashing.

Could you make a 1 disk version?

That is beyond my capabilities (so far!!) there is only the ATR out there as far as I can see.

1. which emulator?

2. what sort of crash? garbage screen?

3. do you get the turn disk prompt/menu to show?

:)

@ballyalley

thanks for the info :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AE

1. PAL real hardware is mono only but it still looks atmospheric :-o

2. Yes they seem fast, you have to react well to get a "perfect" I guess we can learn the patterns!

3. The controlled shot and exploding cloud is a great idea so why don't more games use it :ponder:

4. apart from the one pager on atarimania I found some info at atariprotos(5200) :)

AI

1. see below!

2/3. Funny atarimania don't have any details for this one - wild guess but wonder if it was a UK atari compilation tape bundle with the 800XL (those red tapes).Probably a post on the main A8 forum would get more anwers...

... found this review

http://atarieviewer.com/tag/atari-invaders/

Anyone who doesn’t know what Space Invaders is probably a space invader in disguise. Aliens are descending in several rows and dropping things on you (bombs, I hope). You are in a ship/tank/something that fires upwards, destroying them. As each one dies the rest speed up until the last one is going about Mach 3 or so and you end up losing. Ha ha, sucks to be you, and not have superhuman reflexes!

In the rare event that you do destroy them all, then they come back moving even faster! Beat your high score! You know, the one that gets erased when you turn off the machine!

This particular version of Space Invaders, termed Atari Invaders, was created by some guy named Joe Hellesen. Joe apparently had a mild seizure when writing the word “joystick” on the main screen here, but fortunately the space invaders moonlight as spelling Nazis and they destroy the extra letter pretty quick. Presumably the reason they’re invading Earth in the first place is because they’ve been reading peoples’ texts, Facebook statuses, Twitter accounts, etc. and they just can’t stand it anymore! Its all you’re fault that their coming! 2/10 [a bit harsh in my opinion! HSC ratings for both AI&AE are 7/10]

I'll be out of town for about a full week before the competition is over, so I expect I won't do well this round... but I'm going to try anyway. And... this is good practice for getting my emulation use skills back up to speed. I'm also going to try loading "AE" on my real 130XE using my old serial SIO2PC. It's been YEARS since I've used that device-- it'll be fun to tear it out again.

Thanks for the opportunity to play some games I don't have much expience with already.

Don't be shy with those scores, I'm sure my friend bluecat will be propping up the tables soon ;) Talking of which lets have some tables.... [in the morning as I still have 2 atari mails to read!]

The AE file is

side a is axt

side b is atr

that might be the problem.

Yes download the fandal ones 2 x ATR files and you should be ok. ATX files are copy protected images and might not like something - I think you have to do something else with them. Sorry this is my doing as Atarimania insist on putting original versions so we end up with ATX files, but they have the documentation - I'll amend the first post. Fandal usually has unprotected working and patched versions of things. Atarionline.pl are best for multiple/different versions which is handy when they don't work with different setups.

So it's Anti Environmental :idea: [insert Uncle joke here] "Uncle Joke" I'm a natural :rolling: :roll:

Yes download the fandal ones 2 x ATR files and you should be ok. ATX files are copy protected images and might not like something - I think you have to do something else with them. Sorry this is my doing as Atarimania insist on putting original versions so we end up with ATX files, but they have the documentation - I'll amend the first post. Fandal usually has unprotected working and patched versions of things. Atarionline.pl are best for multiple/different versions which is handy when they don't work with different setups.

So it's Anti Environmental :idea: [insert Uncle joke here] "Uncle Joke" I'm a natural :rolling: :roll:

Still having problems with AE

I got it to boot up but has messed up graphics.

Here are my first, quite low, scores for the two games:

1) AE: 11,100

1) Atari Invaders: 4,500

Both games were played on real NTSC hardware. I used the two ATR "disk" version of AE without a hitch on a 130XE. Maybe the trouble that Quadrunner is having is because he's not turning off the ROM by holding down the Option button when the program is first loading. It's worth a shot to try that if he hasn't already.

I managed to load AE using my old serial version of my SIO2PC with a USB to serial adapter on an old Windows XP laptop that I have. It loads fast enough. I wish that AE supported two drives so that I wouldn't have to wait for the first load to finish before I could then "eject" the disk and load up the second load. It means that I have to hover around the laptop and then go back over to my Atari. I'm just glad that I can play on real hardware and don't have to play only under emulation. I really love emulation, and in some ways I prefer it for its simplicity, but nothing beats the real hardware (as long as I don't need save states...).

It's interesting that the colors achieved via artifacting with AE look much better on a real TV than than when simulated under emulation. The colors actually don't look too bad at all... they're almost downright nice, especially on the second level with the two planets.

It is going to take me a bit of time to get used to the way I fire at the baddies in AE-- if I'm able to get used to it at all. It seems that memorizing the enemy patterns will not only pay off with higher scores but is a mandatory component of the game. Oh, I'm not sure if anyone is keeping track, but I managed to get three perfect rounds of AE in a row. What I mean is that I didn't miss any baddies on a round. It's really satisfying to take out all of them at once with one missile shot!

Adam

Brace yourselves here is the New Scroring This Season :-o

Stilll 12 HSC pts for 1st place but going down in 1s until 12th place. For every extra player there will be an additional high scoring place starting with 5th place 9pts. The top four always get 12,11,10,9 and the bottom place always 1pt, but more points in-between, making it closer overall to stop some of us running away with things!

If we have a round with more than one game, as we do in here, each gets place points (I've provisionally used 20 for 1st), these are totalled and used to make an overall table. Ties are decided by total score for both games. Lets just see this in action shall we...

Round 1 Overall - real HSC points!

rank, name, (pal or ntsc), score, points

1st therealbountybob (p) 38 12pts
2nd a8isa1 (n) 34 12pts*
3rd adam242 (n/p) 34 10pts

4th Gury (p) 33 9pts
5th powersoft (p) 33 9pts
6th ballyalley (n) 27 8pts
7th Algus (n) 23 7pts
8th McKong (p) 20 6pts
9th krupkaj (p) 16 6pts**
10th Sikor (p) 13 4pts
11th roadrunner (n) 13 3pts
12th devwebcl (n) 12 2pts
13th JK40001 (p) 10 1pt
Bonuses (1pt):

* Highest NTSC player (adam242 you'll have to let me know if you are using NTSC each round?)

** Atari Invaders Game 9 (krupkaj 7,750)

*** Beating HSC records AI: 57,510 trbb AE: 39,400 fandal

[you can see the extra 9pts for 5th as we have a 13th player... the places below are moved down 1 making 12th place 2pts instead of 1]

Atari Invaders

1st McKong (p) 28,060 20
2nd therealbountybob (p) 21,750 19
3rd Gury (p) 12,500 18

4th adam242 (n/p) 9,000 17
5th krupkaj (p) 8,650 16
6th powersoft (p) 6,830 15
7th a8isa1 (n) 6,770 14
8th Sikor (p) 6,330 13
9th devwebcl (n) 5,510 12
10th ballyalley (n) 4,500 11
11th JK40001 (p) 4,010 10
12th Algus (n) 1,600 9

AE

1st a8isa1 (n) 32,900 20
2nd therealbountybob (p) 31,700 19
3rd powersoft (p) 27,800 18

4th adam242 (n/p) 24,500 17
5th ballyalley (n) 11,100 16
6th Gury (p) 10,400 15
7th Algus (n) 9,000 14
8th roadrunner (n) 2,400 13

Hope this makes sense, don't worry about it just play and I'll handle this - I try and keep things fair and consistent ;)

Awright, here's an update. I'm not a huge Space Invaders (and clones) fan so I don't know if I'll push my score higher on that. AE is a lot of fun though.

I like having two games, gives me something to switch between. Anywho...

post-24145-0-49397700-1390310961_thumb.jpg

post-24145-0-38629800-1390310970_thumb.jpg

AE: 20,400

AI: 3,610

I'm playing on my Mac Mini w/Atari800MacX. I do have an 800 XL but I need to buy fresh cables for it, get some sort of display, and find a place to set it up. Hoping to learn a thing or two about the system by playing in the HSC a bit this season.

Thanks ballyalley for pointing out to turn artifacting on to get colors!

• Like 1