IGNORED

Pitfall II

Brad2600

They could have done better with the arcade version.  This is one game that is BETTER on a console.  I've only played the 2600 and 5200 version (not counting the arcade game), but I can't think of too many games that were better than this one.  Maybe Pitfall?

I don't know how much value there is in saying "they could have done better." No matter what you do, no matter how well you do it, you can always do better. Personally, I thought Sega did a bang up job with the arcade version of Pitfall II.

Although it retains much of the console version's game play, it's important to keep in mind that arcade Pitfall II is NOT console Pitfall II. If it were the same or even close to the same, who would bother to pump quarters into it? Which is better, the console or the arcade version? I've long believed that "better" is a hopelessly subjective term and something best left to unemployed philosophy majors to debate. Rather than make meaningless assertions about which is version is "better," I'd rather go on record as saying they both are very good and challenging and entertaining in different ways.

The arcade version of Pitfall II is a much higher resolution affair, as should be expected of an arcade game. It offers more variety, borrowing scenes and gameplay elements from both Pitfall II and from the original Pitfall. It incorporates the timer concept of the original Pitfall, but in a way more reminiscent of the timer in H.E.R.O., which awards bonus points for faster jouneys through the level. The arcade playing adventurer struggles through the familiar crocodiles, scorpions and logs (oh, my!). But there are new pitfalls to overcome as well, including erupting volcanoes, a storm of killer lightning bolts and a stone idol burping up lethal balls of fire to name only a few. And overcoming these new hazards only gets you through level one. There are four completely different levels in all!

Level two plunges 28 levels beneath the jungle floor into a complicated network of ice caverns. Now the game play is much more reminiscent of Lost Caverns. You must dodge scorpions, bats, condors, eels and frogs. But in the arcade caverns, there's no place left to hide. If you stand still for a moment to try to catch your breath, A stalagtite of ice may break off the cavern ceiling and come crashing down on your head. Try to dodge the falling ice and if you're not careful you'll go skidding across a lake of ice into dangers unknown. Or pause for 30 seconds ANYWHERE and a mysterious ghost will appear and chase you down like a dog! Collect ice crystal treasures as you go for extra points. Each one you collect puts extra time back on the timer, time you may desperately need in order to work your way through the level before it (and you) expires. You must ride the hot air balloon, just like in console Pitfall II, but your technique and your goal is different now. Good luck!

Level three is an adventure through an abandoned gold mine on rail carts, which is very reminiscent of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. This is a fitting tribute, since everybody knows Harry and Indy studied archaeology together as college roomates. Now it's Harry's turn to take the wild ride on rails, risking life and limb to collect gold and the fabled Raj Diamond. He must leap deftly from his runaway cart to skirt collapsing walls and exploding platforms which block the rails. Ultimately, as in all the levels, he must find the key hidden in the maze and then travers it to the end to journey onward to the next level.

Level four is the quarter-eating beast that separates the skilled adventurers from the merely wealthy. No longer may you keep pumping quarters into the machine to futher your adventure when your Harry's run out. Level four is do or die. Only the very best will make it through the Inca level to claim the Sacred Crown of the Lizard King! Booby traps lurk everywhere. Holes open beneath your feet and drop you unexpectedly to perils below. Poisonous darts appear out of nowhere. Stone walls try to crush you. You must swing across vines over boiling pits of green acid and razor sharp spikes, and puzzle your way through a maddening maze only to face your most deadly challenge of all -- the Lizard King! It will take everything you've learned and more to escape his fiery wrath to steal his crown. I won't spoil the ending, but if you succeed, if you bag this final prize, I'll tip my hat to you. Please drop me a line when you do it. I'd love to hear from another member of the club, and all about the details of your most splendid adventure. ;)

Ben

Pitfall Harry, thanks for posting the map!!  Its time to re-visit Pitfall II :wink:

Don't forget that the map plus more (including a map of Level II) are right here on Atariage as well :)

Level II (not on 2600 version)

http://www.atariage.com/5200/archives/stra...l?SystemID=5200

Other maps:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/stra..._2_graphic.html

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/stra...ommodore64.html

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/stra...l?SystemID=2600

Personally, I thought Sega did a bang up job with the arcade version of Pitfall II.  

Ben

Great write-up of the arcade game! Made me go play it for 20 minutes :D

Maybe I'll let you know when I get through Level 1 :P

Pitfall Harry, thanks for posting the map!!  Its time to re-visit Pitfall II :wink:

Don't forget that the map plus more (including a map of Level II) are right here on Atariage as well :)

Level II (not on 2600 version)

http://www.atariage.com/5200/archives/stra...l?SystemID=5200

I've got a few questions about that, as I only got partially through that second deal on a display at a computer store for the 400/800 version years ago, and that was it...

What's that thing--I think it's a guy?--that's in color near the top left of the screen? Why does it say "clue" in one spot, was it a text message or something? And where the (*#$! is the end?!

Yeah, he's a guy. Sorry he looks so bad. I was intent on limiting the map to just 4 colors to keep the size of it down for faster downloads.

Go to the spot where it says "clue," and when you get there you will get a text message clue that basically tells you what you're mission is for the game. I'd hate to spoil it by telling you now if you plan on playing the game later. But if you gotta know, just ask and I can email you.

Ben

Yeah, he's a guy.  Sorry he looks so bad.

I don't think he looks bad at all, the whole map was great. What's his purpose, is it just someone to rescue like Rhonda and Quickclaw, or would that be giving too much away? :)

Go to the spot where it says "clue," and when you get there you will get a text message clue that basically tells you what you're mission is for the game.  I'd hate to spoil it by telling you now if you plan on playing the game later.  But if you gotta know, just ask and I can email you.

Nah, that's all right, it gives me an excuse to get a 5200 eventually :D Kind of unusual to have a text hint in that game, but that was such a great game, who cares?

someone needs to release a 5200 cart that starts on the second cavern, ive spent the time to get to the second cavern many a time, but it would be so much nicer to just be able to start there. and maybe re-do the first cavern and have it go to a new 3rd cavern when you finish the second cavern? :-)

someone needs to release a 5200 cart that starts on the second cavern, ive spent the time to get to the second cavern many a time, but it would be so much nicer to just be able to start there. and maybe re-do the first cavern and have it go to a new 3rd cavern when you finish the second cavern? :-)

I smell a hack idea! :D

That's where emulation and saved states can help you out, just have a saved state start at the beginning of the 2nd world.

That's where emulation and saved states can help you out, just have a saved state start at the beginning of the 2nd world.

Still not the same as playing the real thing on a real 5200, ya know? or on a real a8bit...

Still not the same as playing the real thing on a real 5200, ya know? or on a real a8bit...

Sure, real is better, I agree with you :)

Real IS better. But I think (and as Zilla can probably attest to as well) that playing 5200/800 on the Dreamcast... well, to be quite honest, it hits that sweet spot pretty darn close (and it's so much more compact too ;)) Personally my 5200 and carts are stored away all nice and safe. DC does all the work :P