IGNORED

Completing Super Cobra

VectorGamer

Super Cobra was one of those carts in my collection I'd whip out once every 6 months, play it for 5 minutes and then stick it back in the tub. After all this time I neglected the game and the gratification it has to offer.

Well, since I was out with the flu a few days ago and had nothing better to do, I decided to give Super Cobra an honest effort. And this time I kept hitting "continue" until I completed the game - twice.

In my first session, after I cleared 10,000 miles and the first time I saw the booty at the bottom of the screen I was totally unprepared and flew right by it. The game cycled back through the screens and offered a second chance to grab the booty and when I did I was congratulated. What a rush!

It was so gratifying completing the game that a day later I gave it another go and completing it was just as gratifying as the day prior. After going through all that one goes through in the 10,000+ mile trek, rescuing the booty was quite rewarding.

So the questions are:

Can anyone complete Super Cobra without using a continue?

Even if using continues, how fast can you complete Super Cobra and can you back it up with video evidence?

I'm interested in doing a live stream of Super Cobra in the future just to see how fast I can complete the game. I'm in no way a master of the game, just curious as to how fast I can complete it and then perhaps subsequent attempts getting faster and faster.

I also challenged my 12 year old to complete the game. He got stuck on one of the screens halfway through the game for about 20 minutes but eventually he did complete it. He said it was challenging but completing it was fun.

Time's yours...

Edited by rmaerz
  • Like 1

I've played Super Cobra so much over the years, I can easily complete it without using a continue. I've never really timed myself, but I can get through it fairly quickly.

It's no easy task...I called Parker Bros. customer service back in the 80s with a question about the game and the lady I talked to was very surprised that I had managed to get all the way through it.

Now it seems very easy for me...it just takes practice...and I think once you have actually done it, it gets easier and easier.

I have managed to get through the game about 2 1/2 times without losing a life.

Super Cobra was one of those carts in my collection I'd whip out once every 6 months, play it for 5 minutes and then stick it back in the tub. After all this time I neglected the game and the gratification it has to offer.

Well, since I was out with the flu a few days ago and had nothing better to do, I decided to give Super Cobra an honest effort. And this time I kept hitting "continue" until I completed the game - twice.

In my first session, after I cleared 10,000 miles and the first time I saw the booty at the bottom of the screen I was totally unprepared and flew right by it. The game cycled back through the screens and offered a second chance to grab the booty and when I did I was congratulated. What a rush!

It was so gratifying completing the game that a day later I gave it another go and completing it was just as gratifying as the day prior. After going through all that one goes through in the 10,000+ mile trek, rescuing the booty was quite rewarding.

So the questions are:

Can anyone complete Super Cobra without using a continue?

Even if using continues, how fast can you complete Super Cobra and can you back it up with video evidence?

I'm interested in doing a live stream of Super Cobra in the future just to see how fast I can complete the game. I'm in no way a master of the game, just curious as to how fast I can complete it and then perhaps subsequent attempts getting faster and faster.

I also challenged my 12 year old to complete the game. He got stuck on one of the screens halfway through the game for about 20 minutes but eventually he did complete it. He said it was challenging but completing it was fun.

Time's yours...

Edited by jblenkle

You don't actually carry it...you pick it up at the very end...and it involves making a steep dive after going over a tall building to snag it off the ground. There's actually a trick in doing it...you need to have your helicopter as far right on the screen as you can get and as soon as you clear the building, start going down and at the same time back to the left. This gives you the extra couple of seconds you need to scoop it up.

I remember carrying the booty to the end of the last level only once, back when I was a kid. I don't remember how many continues I used, but I lost interest in the game afterwards. :P

I just gave this a try again. My first time through I lost the last of my helicopters two levels from the end.

The second time I tried, I made it all the way through in 18:33, but I lost three helicopters along the way. Since you start over at the beginning of the level, I would guess a clean run through the game would probably be 15-16 minutes.

I'll have to give the CV version an honest effort next time I hook the system up. I remember really liking the port though. I have however completed the Atari 5200 version which everyone says is impossible but it's not with a Competition Pro Joystick. Good game on the CV for sure and probably the best port at the time!