IGNORED

Cleaning dirty carts

hardhat

So I bought two games from a local store this week (Omega Race and Star Trek) and they looked a little grungy inside. But the store gave me a 60 day defective guarantee, so I bought them anyway. I get them home and they don't work.

So I'm looking for advice. I know I don't want to pull off the labels. But maybe applying something on the exposed contacts to clean them off would work? I seem to recall NIAD mentioning something about 90% rubbing alcohol perhaps. Or maybe an Adam newsletter suggested a pencil eraser. What works for you?

You can get Deoxit D5 from Amazon for 13.95....well worth it!

I've tried Deoxit and I found that the lubricant in it causes NES carts not to read properly. Besides it's ridiculously expensive; $15 for a 5 ounce can, ouch! It does work extremely well for simple connections like RCA and 3.5 headphones jacks though.

I would recommend CRC Electronic Cleaner It won't damage plastics, doesn't interfere with connections because of funky additives like Deoxit has and is dirt cheap; about $5 for a 11 ounce can at Wall-mart.

For stubborn carts that refuse to work even after cleaning then its time to break out the Brasso Metal Polish. Only use it as a last resort though as it will destroy the gold plating of contacts if you are not careful. I've resurrected many dead carts though with Brasso so I would definitely recommend it before giving up on a cart. Just be gentle and use Brasso very sparingly and you should be fine.

Also for those cheap basterds like me who refuse to pay $15 for a 5 ounce can of Deoxit there's good news! CRC makes an equivalent $3 product called CRC 2-26 Multi-Purpose Lubricant. It's highly rated and does the job. Just keep in mind that just like with Deoxit, CRC 2-26 contains a lubricant that will most likely interfere with complex circuit board connections and it's best used for the simple video and audio jacks or cleaning potentiometers.

First, try blowing warm, moist air into the cart contacts and "fog it up". Then use a Q-tip to wipe the contacts. You should get sut/grime off. If that doesn't work, try getting some of this electronic contact cleaner:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_172753-12704-40-610_0__

.....and spray it on the contacts, then using an old clean toothbrush on it if necessary. Works for me!

Well IMHO I use a couple methods, Rubbing alcohols good.. the stronger the better. As far as DeOxit... I've never had any problems with Deoxit. I use it religiously. I think it's worth every penny, it doesn't take much and usually goes a long way. I use both the regular red label D5 deoxit for the really grimmy stuff and also the green label F5 fader lube, which is meant for plastic, plastic to metal contact points. I repair a lot of music equipment with that and both are highly recommend. Just spray a little on the end of a Qtip and just go over the contacts a few times until the cotton looks clean. You should be good to go.. That's what I do anyway ;-)

I also use an eraser sometimes and once in a blue moon 0000 steel wool as a last resort on the really terrible carts, I've seen lukemorse1 on YouTube do this. He even used ultra fine grit sandpaper to clean NES contacts but I wouldn't recommend that. :o

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

Q-tips/alcohol work most of the time.

For the best cleaning, try a gold can of Bar Keepers Friend. Mix a small amount with water, and use a soft toothbrush to clean contacts. Then dip the toothbrush in clean water and clean again. Finally, dry it off well. BKF wipes any corrosion right off electrical contacts. It's about $2 per can, and lasts a long time since you just use a tiny amount each time.

Well IMHO I use a couple methods, Rubbing alcohols good.. the stronger the better. As far as DeOxit... I've never had any problems with Deoxit. I use it religiously. I think it's worth every penny, it doesn't take much and usually goes a long way. I use both the regular red label D5 deoxit for the really grimmy stuff and also the green label F5 fader lube, which is meant for plastic, plastic to metal contact points. I repair a lot of music equipment with that and both are highly recommend. Just spray a little on the end of a Qtip and just go over the contacts a few times until the cotton looks clean. You should be good to go.. That's what I do anyway ;-)

I also use an eraser sometimes and once in a blue moon 0000 steel wool as a last resort on the really terrible carts, I've seen lukemorse1 on YouTube do this. He even used ultra fine grit sandpaper to clean NES contacts but I wouldn't recommend that. :o

Yeah I agree, Deoxit is superb for simple audio and video connections but have you tried using it on game cartridges? There's a lubricant in it that will interfere in complex, tightly jammed together circuit board connections. I actually had to clean my NES carts with isopropyl alcohol to remove the Deoxit just to get them working again.

I wouldn't recommend Deoxit for cleaning games due to it be outrageously expensive and the reading errors it can cause. if you insist on using it though make sure you use the smallest amount possible. I spray a little in a small bottle and rub a cotton swab on the walls of the container; never directly in the fluid. This will prevent over-saturation of the cotton swab and use the least amount of Deoxit.

Make sure you try that $3 CRC 2-26 5 oz. Multi-Purpose Lubricant spray too as it's just as good as Deoxit IMO. The legends are true; you don't need to get a second mortgage to clean your contacts any more! :D

Also OP, if your Colecovision is having trouble reading games make sure you clean the power jack. Spray some contact cleaner in the jack, remove and insert the cord a few times and repeat again. You might be surprised that your games now work. The Colecovision is dastardly and cunning adversary fond of playing mind games. You wouldn't think that a slightly dirty power jack would affect games from loading but that's what the Colecovision wants you to believe; don't be fooled by it's twisted devious tactics! :lol:

Edited by guy767
  • Like 1

I use Contact cleaner in the spray can, but that's pricey stuff, but the best cus it has 0% water content, which is desired. I usually use the newer 99% Isopropyl Alcohol that pharmacies are now stocking around here, instead of the 70%. I use that with SPONGE tip swabs, useful if you don't like picking lint off contacts left by Q-tips. I have found some contacts, game or console, need 2-4 cleanings before success is achieved.

Also OP, if your Colecovision is having trouble reading games make sure you clean the power jack. Spray some contact cleaner in the jack, remove and insert the cord a few times and repeat again. You might be surprised that your games now work. The Colecovision is dastardly and cunning adversary fond of playing mind games. You wouldn't think that a slightly dirty power jack would affect games from loading but that's what the Colecovision wants you to believe; don't be fooled by it's twisted devious tactics! :lol:

Well I haven't had any trouble with my homebrew games or SD cart. But I bought two games at a local store last week and they look grimy, dusty and have signs of spider webs and neither read. So cleaning would probably go a long way. The contacts look like they are perhaps copper. Anyway I'll try some non-intrusive methods I suppose then I'll ask them to clean them since they are guaranteed to work for 60 days.

Well I haven't had any trouble with my homebrew games or SD cart. But I bought two games at a local store last week and they look grimy, dusty and have signs of spider webs and neither read. So cleaning would probably go a long way. The contacts look like they are perhaps copper. Anyway I'll try some non-intrusive methods I suppose then I'll ask them to clean them since they are guaranteed to work for 60 days.

You should clean ALL carts you buy BEFORE putting them in your machine. Otherwise, you will get gunk in your cartridge slot. Easy enough to q-tip/alcohol anything before putting it in your slot ;)

• Like 1