IGNORED

Looking For Atari 2600. Have Any Free?

retrogamer64

I have since apologized to the OP. In return he say he will "try a better approach next time".

For all those that keep liking Mr. Davies post please note that I at least tried to make amends. The OPs posts in this board and conversations I have had led me to believe he is not clueless. His intent and level of respect are obvious. My regret is reacting to it.

Hardly you'll find someone giving Atari with games for free, but you can find some very good offers here in Atariage.

To be perfectly honest, some prices are almost a gift. Common cartridges are $1 typically and a good Atari VCS can go from $20 to $50.

Try to find a lot of console and games. For example, this one is an excellent offer http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Sears-Tele-Games-Video-Arcade-System-Lot-of-20-Games-/261385345183?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3cdbc7d89f

Just assign $100 to your gaming budget and next weekend you'll be filled with Atari games :)

Yeah, that's a nice bundle. Everything you need and everything in the photos looks tidy and organised (so many sellers just dump all their stuff in a pile on the living room carpet and take a quick snap-shot) which is a pretty good sign that the item has been properly cared for and looked after.

I doubt it will be cheap, though. It's an original VCS, the seller looks like he can be trusted, there's a nice bundle of stuff that will save the buyer a lot of trouble; all those things bump up the price and I doubt the winning bidder will get much change from $60 once the snipers step in. Even so, it's a pretty good deal and a great way to start an Atari collection.

While I didn't degrade the OP but merely made satire - I make no apologies. I typically don't change my viewpoint when others change theirs or ask me to change mine. For if I did, then my original commentary would be null and void and meaningless. So why make it in the first place?

We've all been yelled at or denigrated or harangued in some way, big or little, on messages boards. When that happens just use the ignore button or pay no attention. There's always a few "problem users" here and there and eventually they go away.

And what I said is absolutely true. I do have a few gaming consoles at the bottom of my Apple II paraphernalia heaps. I just can't be bothered to dig them out myself. So if you want to come over and conduct your own search expedition, then let's have at it. If you want me to do it, on demand, for you, you're going to have to pay me. I would say this to anyone asking for freebies.

Edited by Keatah

While I didn't degrade the OP but merely made satire - I make no apologies. I typically don't change my viewpoint when others change theirs or ask me to change mine. For if I did, then my original commentary would be null and void and meaningless. So why make it in the first place?

Because it is possible to--and often a good thing to--change your mind.

The op is on the 5200 forum as well asking for games on a free game thread fyi. So possibly motive of joining AA is for FREE anything?? just facts..

Explain that to us retrogame64?

This is not a take take forum. We all pay SOMETIME. Most of us ALL the time.

• Like 1

Because it is possible to--and often a good thing to--change your mind.

*IF* there is a good reason, then sure, why not? But as I suspect, there is no reason to do so. Look. Now he's supposedly asking for handouts on the 5200 forum? I gotta go see this! BRB! FFFFTTTHHHHhhhhzzzoooooooomm! Yep.. asking for handouts.

*IF* there is a good reason, then sure, why not? But as I suspect, there is no reason to do so. Look. Now he's supposedly asking for handouts on the 5200 forum? I gotta go see this! BRB! FFFFTTTHHHHhhhhzzzoooooooomm! Yep.. asking for handouts.

To be fair to the OP, the post on the 5200 forum was around the same time as his post here. In addition, he didn't start the post, he responded to a post that was giving away free games. There's a big difference.

If you're still around OP, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with a couple of free games.

I have since apologized to the OP. In return he say he will "try a better approach next time".

For all those that keep liking Mr. Davies post please note that I at least tried to make amends. The OPs posts in this board and conversations I have had led me to believe he is not clueless. His intent and level of respect are obvious. My regret is reacting to it.

Loon,

I liked Andrews sentiment for everyone.

Dan made a good point from the alternate perspective of developers getting flamed over selling a game instead of giving it away for cheap - developers should ask for free Atari's when that happens!

They're likely to get them too if they've built up clout writing awesome video games - you and Andrew would get a ton of free Atari's! :)

The OP could always download Stella and enjoy all the classics and awesome homebrews on the forum, or you or Andrew could give him one of your free Atari's :)

They're likely to get them too if they've built up clout writing awesome video games - you and Andrew would get a ton of free Atari's! :)

The OP could always download Stella and enjoy all the classics and awesome homebrews on the forum, or you or Andrew could give him one of your free Atari's :)

It comes down to my previous point about status in the community and the contribution you've made. People who make games show a level of mental discipline and dedication that most of us don't have; they're the doctors of the retro gaming community, they've done the five years at medcial school and they deserve the respect that goes with it. Same deal with the hardware experts, the people who design the emulators, the people who spend thousands on rare games and upload them for digital preservation, the people who create and maintain forums for us, the people who have websites with information and resources; everything the newbie consumes and takes for granted is off the back of their work.

• Like 3

Loon,

I liked Andrews sentiment for everyone.

Dan made a good point from the alternate perspective of developers getting flamed over selling a game instead of giving it away for cheap - developers should ask for free Atari's when that happens!

It comes down to my previous point about status in the community and the contribution you've made. People who make games show a level of mental discipline and dedication that most of us don't have; they're the doctors of the retro gaming community, they've done the five years at medcial school and they deserve the respect that goes with it. Same deal with the hardware experts, the people who design the emulators, the people who spend thousands on rare games and upload them for digital preservation, the people who create and maintain forums for us, the people who have websites with information and resources; everything the newbie consumes and takes for granted is off the back of their work.

All this is true. Showing effort and respect begets effort and respect. Mr. SQL doesn't know this but I ponied up for an extra Starpath Supercharger for him when he started working on batari BASIC support and his own assembly framework. He never asked me. He didn't have to.

..sadly, I was a little too late on the draw. He already snatched one for himself :)

• Like 1

Wow! How does a thread like this go one this long? It should have died after the second post. Nice way to kick out a new member guys.

Nah. He got directed to a really good deal in the Marketplace section. It's up to him if he wants to accept it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210114-atari-2600-jr-with-50-games-for-sale/

• Like 1

Nah. He got directed to a really good deal in the Marketplace section. It's up to him if he wants to accept it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210114-atari-2600-jr-with-50-games-for-sale/

I agree that is a good idea. Brian has some nice stuff there. I'm considering the 5200 controller and 5200 adapter myself.

There seems to be somewhat of a trend lately, IMO, of people looking for free stuff on these boards.

In the marketplace, I offered some free stuff in the past, and was PM'd by kids I believe, that wrote, "I'll take anything you have that you are giving away for free." They were begging me to check my collection to see if I had anything else not listed, for free.

Even after the items were claimed, I still got PM's saying, "if you ever have anything else for free, I'll take them, keep me in mind...."

I stopped posting in the free thread for the same reason. People PM'ing me for more free stuff if I had any.

I stopped giving free stuff to people who asked begged for it...just like the OP did.

I used to do just the opposite, thinking that I was "helping out the community"...and then one day, I saw the Atari Jr. and 30 games which I gave (free of charge) to a new member show up on eBay with a BIN of $100. He had such a seemingly "real" interest in the hobby that I even paid the friggin shipping for that d-bag. It went up on eBay less than a week after I sent the package. He never came back to AA. Lesson learned.

• Like 5