IGNORED

What is the thing you like most in AtariAge?

The best of AtariAge  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What AtariAge's feature you like the most?

• General gaming or retrogaming news and talks.
    • Techinical source about programming, hardware and/or development.
    • AtariAge community market to buy/sell/trade gaming stuff, including AtariAge store.
    • AtariAge gaming through one or more HSC (High Score Club).
    • AtariAge community, friends, talks, news (a much better Facebook).
    • The fact we have all features above in one nice place that is AtariAge.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I joined here and Atari Forum at the same time after getting my STe for Christmas gone. Was looking for info on setting up the USD I got and how to go about it. Between the 2 forums I found here a bit easier to talk with people, Atari Forum feels more technical. So I decided to stick around here with it being a great source of easy to digest info.

Community here are decent folk all of us with a common interest, Atari or whatever else!

I also REALLY like the way the whole site is setup, easy to find what you are looking for, easy to navigate round, can't ask for anything else really.

When I went to college, I had way less time to play the kinds of complex games that sucked up a lot of my youth. I started taking an interest in retro video games, and started seeking out some systems I knew growing up -- the N64, PS2, and GameCube. Little did I know my retro travels would take me alllllll the way back to the 2600. Initially, I was skeptical. Why the hell would anyone play these old things in this day and age?

Boy, did I feel stupid after discovering AtariAge.

Never before have I seen such a collection of people that are so devoted to and excited to discuss a hobby like Atari. There are plenty of subforums for a multitude of different topics surrounding Atari, retro gaming, and other subjects, there's a great Marketplace forum that I have had nothing but good experiences with, and the website itself is one of the cleanest and best I have ever used in any context. I think I was hooked on Atari when users started messaging me after I posted a thread about potentially picking up a system by offering me systems for great prices! I was blown away! I ended up with a mint condition Atari 2600 Jr. that I could not be happier with. When I saw someone drop off a huge Sony Trinitron (with a very small scratch in the screen, but whatever) in a rescue box right in front of me, I knew it was essentially a sign from God. I was destined to play retro games. (Okay that was kind of dumb but seriously, I was ecstatic)

Since then I have amassed quite a collection of commercial titles, and plan on going all-out and picking up nearly every homebrew and hack that the AtariAge store has to offer because I am so in love with the system. I seriously didn't think that would happen, but here I am, putting aside at least $200 from my summer job towards nothing but 2600 cartridges.

Every one of my threads has gotten lots of helpful and civil responses, for which I am very grateful. Not to mention this place has a lot of history... half of my questions I just put through Google with "atariage" added on the end of my question and bam, 15-20 useful threads. You guys are awesome and have been for a long time... stay that way.

Game on! :) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a year since this thread was last active so I figure to bump it. I remembet being Nexus in the late 90's then Atariage just as the Millennium began. I stopped by and browsed around on here. But it wasn't til 2012 I finally started an account on here and my activity was sporadic on atariage. Not until March 2015 I began to be more active and in a community where you can discuss, debate, share, buy, and trade games and discuss gaming with many thousands of retro gamers and collectors. Also talk about and share other things and intetests other than gaming. I quit facebook last year because I was so sick of the drama and gossip on there. Atariage is way better imho. A great place to keep retro gaming alive. And am happy to have met many people interactively around the world. And yes......... I enjoy all the William Shatner and Hello Kitty stuff as well. :-P

This seems like a fun bump.

Sometime during college I dumped off my collection for reasons I didn't really understand then. 8 or 9 years later I found myself on the tail of of an enlistment a few states away from where I grew up and just in a much happier place. Not a ton of anxiety anymore and I had the money and time to game again. I decided to go back and visit a lot of games from various periods of my life that I missed due to varying levels of depression and anxiety just ruining my attention to anything, something I didn't really realize was even happening until I was in a new place in life. I picked up a few things at thrifts to start up and googled around for a community since I didn't have too many friends around to talk to on account of having to move around and the general encompassing nature of my work.

I'd like to get into some sort of game programming for a new challenge as I enjoy working as a programmer and I feel like this place will probably be a great resource. I think it would be quite a rush to code something up and put it on a cart to play it on my TV. No real clue where to start though. I imagine the forums here will help.

^ I agree

One thing I like about AtariAge is the off topic forums. I think it's great that the option exists to talk about various other topics with people that share an interest in video games.

I also like that there is a fair amount of traffic here on AtariAge.

One thing I don't like about AtariAge is the lack of arcade discussion. Which to me is ironic since Atari was one of the biggest players in the development of arcade games. Because of that, I've had to join the KLOV forums to get my arcade fix. Not that I'm complaining about the KLOV forums.

• Like 1

^ I agree

One thing I like about AtariAge is the off topic forums. I think it's great that the option exists to talk about various other topics with people that share an interest in video games.

I also like that there is a fair amount of traffic here on AtariAge.

One thing I don't like about AtariAge is the lack of arcade discussion. Which to me is ironic since Atari was one of the biggest players in the development of arcade games. Because of that, I've had to join the KLOV forums to get my arcade fix. Not that I'm complaining about the KLOV forums.

Same here and totally agree! I joined 3 years ago but never really got active that much until earlier this year. It's a great social media site as well. A marketplace to buy, sell, and trade. Talk about anything videogame related by showing and sharing collections, your childhood gaming experiences, and your favorite systems are. Any troubleshooting for an issue with a game or system, buying homebrews and hacks, etc. And totally enjoy the off topic discussions. Sports, food, tv, movies, youtube videos, etc. I really enjoy it here and meeting thousands of other retrogamers across the country and globe. And listening to all their paat experiences on what they grew up with. I agree with the arcade threads. It is dead and not much discussions, but I posted a couple from a place I grew up back in Tacoma, WA. It was B&I Marketplace "Mikey's Funland". Truly awesome. Nothing compared to Vermont's Fun Zone. Still about 100 arcade cabs, skeeball, foosball, pinball, mini golf, and a carousel. I also enjoy your youtube videos and reviews. I like your gamer rage with the "Ahhh Come on!!"

• Like 1