IGNORED

Trying to find an old IBM computer

I'm trying to figure out the model name of an old IBM computer. I used it in high school in '92, but I think they were older than that.

The system was similar in design to the Apple Macintosh, being a smaller rectangular box with a built-in monitor. If I remember correctly, they were either running a 286 or just a 8086. The systems I use didn't have a hard drive, requiring you to boot from floppy. I'm not sure if it was possible to install a drive in the system.

I've tried searching for old IBM computers, but couldn't come up with anything. I'm hoping someone here might know what I'm looking for.

You might be thinking of one of the IBM PS/2 machines. See the IBM Personal System/2 Model 25, for example, shown about halfway down the PS/2 Wikipedia page.

IBM made these integrated systems for a while. At one point, I had a bunch of 486 PS/1 machines with integrated VGA monitors. The base under the monitor contained a small expansion card cage, along with the hard drive and other components.

(EDIT: These are actually EduQuest machines; see below.)

None of those match up either.

The unit was fairly compact. I asked a few people I went to school with and they're certain they were IBM machines. Could they have made systems specifically for education use?

The system was off white in colour and had a colour display. I can't remember if the display was only 16 colours or supported 256.

I've been looking for this system for a while now, but have never been able to come up with anything.

I think I know what the OP is talking about, since I once saw one for sale on eBay 6 months back. It isn't a PS/2 model 25, but there was an education market exclusive all-in-one PC that had a 286 or 386sx processor in the early 90s. Trying to find proof ATM.

Well there is the IBM 5530 (an all-in-one PS/2 55) but it appears to have been JP only, http://homepage3.nifty.com/sandy55/5530/5530.html

Edited by DesertJets

I just went out to my shed and found the last two of the all-in-one IBM machines I was talking about earlier: the IBM EduQuest Thirty-Five (IBM spelled out the model numbers on these for some reason). The name seems to imply that these were exclusive to the education market. This eBay auction shows a similar model, the Forty-Five, with some pretty good pictures:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3208579988211?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

The ones that I have were manufactured in the summer of 1994.

• Like 1