IGNORED

Better way to fix the controller?

Dauber

I got my 5200 I think in December 2012. Literally within about an hour the fire buttons stopped functioning. I saw after taking apart the controller that someone had previously put metallic paint on the rubber contacts, and the paint had basically worn off. I replaced the paint with superglued aluminum foil, and that fixed the problem.

Spent a LONG time away from the 5200...but about two or three weeks ago I had to do the fix again on all four fire buttons, as somehow the superglue holding the foil on had worn off. I tried the fix again, this time with Gorilla Glue, and again, that fixed the issue.

Well, just last night one of the fire buttons stopped working AGAIN. Foil had fallen off...even with the force of Gorilla Glue. (Trust me, if you've never used that stuff, it makes a pretty freakin' permanent bond!!)

Is there a more permanent solution to this??? Like maybe just using a very short nail through the rubber contact???

Well go to at Best Electronics replace with gold reflex and gold buttons parts.

Well, yes, that's true. We certainly can. However, as Dauber points out, we have a decent solution in hand; we simply need a way to stabilize the foil dots that we know work. I would be interested in seeing any suggestions, too. I haven't had any problems with mine--my biggest error is getting a drip of glue on the side of the dot facing the flex circuit, preventing a good contact--but it would be nice to have that knowledge just in case.

Haven't tried the foil technique yet, I just take the controller apart and clean the contacts when necessary since I only use the 5200 every once in a while, but here are some thoughts...

Gorilla Glue is very hard. Maybe a more flexible material would last longer, like rubber cement. I think Elmers is somewhat flexible. Also could try silicon glue. "Goop" is also very permanent and flexible.

Whenever you apply any adhesive to any surface, make sure that surface is CLEAN for a good bond. That said, some adhesives do not work well with other rubbers or plastics. One other option for a more "permanent" fix is to use some kind of epoxy. Epoxies are messy to use, but are even stronger and more flexible than high-strength glues like Loctite and Gorilla superglues. I have used epoxies on many "fixes" and find them far superior to glues.

• Like 1

Whenever you apply any adhesive to any surface, make sure that surface is CLEAN for a good bond. That said, some adhesives do not work well with other rubbers or plastics. One other option for a more "permanent" fix is to use some kind of epoxy. Epoxies are messy to use, but are even stronger and more flexible than high-strength glues like Loctite and Gorilla superglues. I have used epoxies on many "fixes" and find them far superior to glues.

Yep. They're not easy to use, but they're very good if used right.

As far as the controller, has anyone tried using one of those conductive ink pens? Or does the conductive ink just flake off the rubber?

Scotch tape and a sliver of tin foil. I have four controllers, two I use regularly, the other two not as much. All four still work great (well two at least...haven't used the other two in a bit). I would venture a guess that, with any kind of glue over time the stronger and harder the glue is the more prone it is to cracking (from being pressed all the time) and coming apart from the circuit. Scotch tape doesn't do that.

Can't speak to the quality of the Best electronics gold kit. Overpriced imo and their website is painful on the eyes.

Scotch tape and a sliver of tin foil. I have four controllers, two I use regularly, the other two not as much. All four still work great (well two at least...haven't used the other two in a bit). I would venture a guess that, with any kind of glue over time the stronger and harder the glue is the more prone it is to cracking (from being pressed all the time) and coming apart from the circuit. Scotch tape doesn't do that.

Can't speak to the quality of the Best electronics gold kit. Overpriced imo and their website is painful on the eyes.

Their website has been painful since 1994. What kind of a business in 2014 thinks it's wise to not post all of their known inventory in a bid to sell a catalog to their customer base? I mean, WTF? Their website is like AngelFire/GeoCities'ish.

Well, yes, that's true. We certainly can. However, as Dauber points out, we have a decent solution in hand; we simply need a way to stabilize the foil dots that we know work. I would be interested in seeing any suggestions, too. I haven't had any problems with mine--my biggest error is getting a drip of glue on the side of the dot facing the flex circuit, preventing a good contact--but it would be nice to have that knowledge just in case.

When i first got into the 5200, I just use the eraser trick but it didn't last to long I guess they were rev 6 and 7 at the time. Did try the foil dot thing but still the glue didn't hold up. Plus tearing the controller apart and putting it back, What a pain that was when you were in HSC at the time!

He did said a permanent solution!

Their website has been painful since 1994. What kind of a business in 2014 thinks it's wise to not post all of their known inventory in a bid to sell a catalog to their customer base? I mean, WTF? Their website is like AngelFire/GeoCities'ish.

I absolutely love the best website. Its perfect. Its against my religion to hate the retro look..it makes it harder to find stuff..but thats part of the fun.
  • Like 1

I have had some foil dots last a very long while (years). Clean the rubber with alcohol to remove any oils. Use a quality "scotch" like double sided tape. Apply the tape to the foil, cut your dots, remove the backing, stick the dots in place and press firmly. Trim so there is no overhang of the foil. I doubt there is any homebrew solution that will last forever though. Tape is cheap to redo.

The best buttons probably are the best. I have yet to try them though.

Aside from not making good contact, the original buttons are also mushy feeling. Best claims to have solved that issue.

• 2 months later...

I used foil tape, like the kind you use to seal AC ducts. I got a huge roll at Harbor Freight Tools for $7. If you dont have a HFT near you, I'm sure you can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I used it about 8 months ago, and it works great. The tape is a little thicker than kitchen foil, and is easier to work with. I recommend using tweezers, because you are going to cut some small pieces.