IGNORED

Catbox/Scatbox VGA to HDTV

Rick Dangerous

All Jags output RGB and the XRGB mini RGB input is via SCART. So if you've got the cable and the XRGB, yes :)

If I got a small 15" vga monitor that only goes up to 1280x768, then the XRGB would prob be overkill?

The monitor is in my kiosk and I've got it hooked up with s-video out to a vga upscaler at 1280x768 and I'm not happy with the result. That's why I'm hoping the Ambery will at least improve it a bit.

If I got a small 15" vga monitor that only goes up to 1280x768, then the XRGB would prob be overkill?

The monitor is in my kiosk and I've got it hooked up with s-video out to a vga upscaler at 1280x768 and I'm not happy with the result. That's why I'm hoping the Ambery will at least improve it a bit.

Yeah that doesn't sound like a good match to start even, as the XRGB mini doesn't have VGA output.

• Like 2

Does either BEST or B&C Sell scart cables per chance? Or do I need to find one on ebay...

You will need a custom scart cable to use the jaguar with the XRGB because the XRGB uses JP-21 style connection. That or a normal Jaguar scart cable and a euro scart to jp-21 adapter.

If you get the XRGB-3 you can use the catbox with a DB9 to HD15 connector as it has a 15 pin RGB in that accepts both composite and h/v sync. Personally I think both the mini and the XRGB3 are nice, and both are pretty good for transcoding and scaling low res sources. The XRGB3 has an abundance fo inputs but I think the mini has a slight edge on video quality (although strangely it seems to smooth out details a little that the XRGB3 shows more sharply, like the road in super burnout).

Anyway there are some nice sources online for information about scalers / transcoders:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

http://www.videogameperfection.com/

• Like 4

You will need a custom scart cable to use the jaguar with the XRGB because the XRGB uses JP-21 style connection. That or a normal Jaguar scart cable and a euro scart to jp-21 adapter.

If you get the XRGB-3 you can use the catbox with a DB9 to HD15 connector as it has a 15 pin RGB in that accepts both composite and h/v sync. Personally I think both the mini and the XRGB3 are nice, and both are pretty good for transcoding and scaling low res sources. The XRGB3 has an abundance fo inputs but I think the mini has a slight edge on video quality (although strangely it seems to smooth out details a little that the XRGB3 shows more sharply, like the road in super burnout).

Anyway there are some nice sources online for information about scalers / transcoders:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

http://www.videogameperfection.com/

Finally a solution that doesn't require a custom cable be made.. Anyone have links to where a 9-15 pin cable and XRGB-3 can be found?

I haven't tried this one, but I've heard good feedback from people using it for old machines.

Now we just need the cable! :)

Now we just need the cable! :)

This one and I'd be good to go?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-High-Quality-RGB-Gold-Scart-Lead-TV-A-V-Video-Lead-Cable-Stereo-/251393709151?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item3a883b945f

Also, I wonder if an HDMI to VGA cable would work with that box...?

It's an unofficial cable, so it's a coin toss. Some of them are fine, some are bad and cause fuzzy pictures, interference, etc. I've never used this one and I don't know anyone who did either.

Passive HDMI-to-VGA cables won't work (do they even exist? I don't remember ever seeing one, unlike DVI-to-VGA cables). Active HDMI-to-VGA converters should work, but if you want to use a monitor whose only input is VGA, a SCART-to-VGA converter is much cheaper and simpler.

• 2 months later...

So guys here is my setup. I made a video. I play on my vga monitor and record in component video with my setup. was not easy to get finalized...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6To5l-IDTSk

and to see component video recording quality in 480p full screen. Even though not technically HD, the sharpness is fantastic... Could be mistaken for HD.

playlist of a bunch of jag vids I just uploaded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJOBZM-j74&list=PLSbCiA_gvHP7BwuSpilM7T1UZZvBoHQ-j&index=2

Rayman is probably the best game to see results, watch this in 480p full screen and see what you think. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmVopXXRufc

Edited by JAGUAR

So guys here is my setup. I made a video. I play on my vga monitor and record in component video with my setup. was not easy to get finalized...

Just watched the video of the setup. it looks better than expected through the Ambery, the footage you filmed of the computer screen with the ambery connected directly to the monitor looked A LOT better than when it went through the VGA/Component Converter + Capture device IMO (as it makes the edges way too sharp and the image a little grainy).

Maybe it's just because there was no real "capture" of the Ambery output by itself though (just camera footage off the monitor) so it's hard to determine how it'd really look.

Just watched the video of the setup. it looks better than expected through the Ambery, the footage you filmed of the computer screen with the ambery connected directly to the monitor looked A LOT better than when it went through the VGA/Component Converter + Capture device IMO (as it makes the edges way too sharp and the image a little grainy).

Maybe it's just because there was no real "capture" of the Ambery output by itself though (just camera footage off the monitor) so it's hard to determine how it'd really look.

Ya the ambery / vga computer screen output looks really good. To be expected though that that would look better than component. Yep I do have it set up to be very sharp using the component/capture but I actually kind of like it like that. :) When watching on youtube in 480p full screen, it takes away some of the sharpness and evens it out to look really good I think. That was my main concern was having the best image on youtube in full screen. There are actually 4 settings on the vga to component converter, normal, sharp, vivid, and soft. I use sharp. I just love to see all the details super sharp as possible, even if a bit grainy. :) normal and soft setting are too dark. vivid and sharp I cant really tell the difference but both are brighter and sharper which I like.

To see how the real capture of the ambery / component output looks click on that rayman link a couple posts above. :) Make sure to change youtube quality to 480p and watch full screen. I think its fantastic. :D The only minor thing I have with the image output is that its a touch dark for my liking, compared to s video output or the vga. But its super nice look image still I think. And don't forget to crank up the sound. That's another thing im really happy about, my setup has enhanced the jags sound output. no more games that are too quiet now, everything is loud, bassy and great!

Edited by JAGUAR