IGNORED

The 3.5" HD drive for ATARI 8-bit.

thewasp

Hash! Listen to that hum! Do you recognize it? Well. for sure - it's an old 8bit Atari, driving the floppy drive...

The sound is so familiar! Spirit of the beautiful floppy drive head's sound, stepping over
the tracks.... Yes! it lives again! But... wait a minute! Something is different, something is new...
Is that "yet another", microcontroller based SIO-2-spiritkiller device? Absolutely not! It's the new,
hardware floppy drive for A8, with a small difference: It was designed for "modern" ( ;-) ) 3.5" drives.

For your consideration:

www.artofscience.pl

My homage to the old Atari days. Based totaly on my own IP-cores.

What say you? ;)

• Like 8

I like it a lot, although I have decided to stick with flash media. The only non-flash media I use on atari 8bit are my 1050 and xf551 disk drives.

I completely agree that the sound of a drive mechanism adds some extra to the experience. I have been using Syquest removables for a long time on my Blackbox (SCSI) and that was very cool too.

But now with all the flash-based solutions, I finally have something that is really reliable and very easy to backup (in terms of atari 8bit).

I would like to know:

1) What is that SD slot for

2) What is that fabulous nice tube-television you have there?

Greetz

P.

Hi!

1) The SD slot was put "just in case" on the PCB design stage. I thought, that it would be nice to combine two interesting features (SD+floppy combo - yumm! BTW. there is a 512KB serial flash also...). Right now it is useless, but it is possible, that final controller will give full support.

2) :D:D - I found it on our e-bay-like pages ("allegro") . Once I saw it, i wanted to have it, and.. well. Here it is.

regards

Peter

Edited by thewasp

First I was trying to give it a form of "FDD" daughterboard, but it wasn't a good idea (different floppies have the IDC header in different place). It is not designed for particular case, but ... I'll be working on the final "mark II" design. I'll purchase more PCBs (that one on the foto is a homemade prototype).

The case of the housing is open. Any suggestions?

Also, I think that website for that project is a good idea. Will try to start it ASAP

p.

Edited by thewasp

If you would use just a housing I would go with an XE modem case. It's small, not to had to find, usually cheap, matches the 130XE, has the means to wire an SIO cable to the board while providing support for the cable. Downside is that it might not fit in the case, if the cable goes bad you have to desolder it, plus if you want to have a pass thru SIO plug you would have to add one to your board and cut a hole in the back of the case.

Another case you could use is the 1030 XL modem case. It's bigger, matches the XLs, has two SIO ports (so you could reuse the connectors from the modem boards as well as have the holes already in the case) plus a hole for the power, is nice and flat. Downside is that they are a little harder to find them the XE modems and might have issues with height for the cables connectors on the board.

Other cases you could use is a ST modem case. Only one SIO port, more expensive, possible height issue.

There are more as well with pluses and minuses. 850 case for one example.

Here's some pics of the XE modem case.

Allan

post-187-0-68149100-1393092883_thumb.jpg

post-187-0-91027300-1393092894_thumb.jpg

post-187-0-13249500-1393092908_thumb.jpg

Well,

if one only requires a housing for the pcb, then I would suggest a 1010 data-recorder or a XC-11 data-recorder. The 1010 comes with two SIO ports that could be used for this pcb, while the XC-11 comes with one SIO port and a SIO plug. However if one wants a case for the pcb and the floppy-drive, I would suggest a 1050 or a XF551 case from a "dead" drive. Some clever Atarian may also find a way to built-in the pcb and the 3,5" floppy-drive into a 1010 data-recorder case...

On the other hand, I still have a DOS based PC that I use quite often with 3,5" HD disks and err, well, the HD disks do not last too long. While 5,25" DD-Disks still work alright after 30-35 years (some A8 disks from 1979 still do!), you can be almost sure that 3,5" HD-disks will not survive that long, maybe up to 5 years or if you are lucky up to 10 years...

-Andreas Koch.

David_p: It is a SIO device, and works like a typical, native (serial) device. Signals needed for transmission (RX, TX, COMMAND) are routed out to the goldpin header.

CharlieChaplin: It is possible to connect a 5.25 drive. The main aim was to keep the controller compatible to IBM standard, so there is absolutely no problem to write down the image

from the PC with FDC drive connected (I use a cheap USB floppy drive. Works fine). As a matter of fact, this is the best way to shift a prepared ATR image (at least for me). Long time

ago it was a pity to be unable to use a single floppy for data transfer between two different system (i mean MSDOS and Atari DOS)

Very good news: According to the suggestion of one atarian, I decided to use the 5.25 USB case for PCs, combined with 3.5"->5.25 frame. Thus, the case of relative cheap and elegant housing is solved (there is another, important benefit - the Power Supply for 5/12VDC is included). I'll put some photos this week. Look forward for further information.

Regards!

• Like 3