IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 6 is up!

Rick Reynolds

@The Loon

My computer is slow and probably didn't pick up the third link. I didn't read any of the BS, However, I do know that certain people have an axe to grind with Kieren, and really don't give a toss about whatever they are trying to ruin his reputation with. All I DO know is that these trouble makers don't own Intellivisions, and have no business following him into this forum trying to turn people against him.

There are allegations that certain posts here were deleted and/or edited. Do we really want to bring that argument into the Intellivision podcast thread? I suggest you guys who have a problem with him stop being so childish.

He gave a brilliant interview on the podcast, and talks about a charity that he is working for. I suggest that people make up their own mind about the guy and stop listening to people that seem to be trying to bully a guy who can't respond on this forum.

That's all I am saying on this.

If you would bother to check the links that were provided for you, you'd see for yourself why associating with this individual is not doing yourself any favors. It's not just childish BS, either. He was banned from this (and other) forums for a good reason. Please check your facts before blindly throwing accusations about something that you know nothing about.

In the interview with Tom Loughry, it was kind of interesting to hear his reactions to what is currently happenning in the intellivision scene. He must of thought it was a totally dead system.

Keep at him, and one day maybe he will be programming again!

Yeah, he had no idea.

But I would sure love to see him do another game - particularly that unfinished 'island hopping D&D' type game he left at APH...

That Playcable infomercial was a cool find. Nice. I love how they talk about how getting the Playcable device could change your family's life! Lol! Nothing like classic 80's overselling. :)

As for the Dreadnaught Fracture I had a cart offered to me for $5000. Yep.

Big fan of the game though

Thanks, cmart.

Wow, $5000!? That's insane!

A listener of ours named Brent Santin sent us that clip (he recorded it on cassette from his TV speaker as a kid). Yeah, quite a sales pitch, ha!

Just finished the latest episode. Great stuff as always. Interviews were well done. Obviously, I was thrilled with the Interview with Tom Loughry! It was nice to hear insight into the design and history of Worm Whomper (and Dreadnaught Factor). Do you think he would sign a game (or manual or overlay) for me? :D

4 hours is a beast of a show, but when I hear the closing music (which is awesome), I'm sad it's over and start looking forward to the next episode. Keep up the great work!

Great Show, loved the interview with Tom Loughry . He sounds scary smart to me lol love his work and his games. Looking forward to next months show . Baseball is one of my favorite games on the system. Still play with my brother from time to time . World championship baseball is a great game with two people and not to bad if you play level 4 against the computer if you don't steel to many bases .

Thanks guys. Believe me, I was just as eager to hear what Tom Loughry had to say as you were!

It is a long show, but remember, you can always utilize "pause technology" and continue later.. Haha..

We're interviewing David Rolfe for the baseball episode. Should be interesting.

Glad you like music too, Jason.

By the way, if you guys (or anyone else here) wants to submit your own audio review of Baseball, feel free. I'll include it in the show.

Not sure why the Episode 5 thread is getting more action than this one, but I really enjoyed the latest episode. For all of the controversy surrounding your choice of Hawken to interview, I can't say that the segment told me anything I didn't know already (UK folks loved the Speccy and inexpensive software; the NES wasn't as popular in the UK). I was surprised that he knew so little about the Intellivision back in the day. But if you are trying to expand the podcast to include non-Intelllivison-centric material, then you've accomplished that.

The Dreadnaught segment and the Loughry interview were great. Loughry seemed to really know how to get the most out of the console. Although you may have been surprised, I thought it was hilarious when he kind of scoffed at the low numbers of homebrew titles being sold and intimated that it wasn't worth his time to pursue homebrewing. He even added how Activision had advanced them $100K (in 1980s dollars) for one game. Appreciated the pragmatism, I guess.

I don't think we're trying to branch out and include non-Intellivision related material -- we aren't disallowing non-Inty talk, but I have no plans to make this podcast more general than it is. We wanted to interview someone in the UK to get a different perspective on the Inty, but we're also interested in talk about the early 1980s and the gaming scene at the time.

Personally, I had no idea that Hawken is a controversial figure (or at least has had controversy surrounding him). So I found out all about that afterwards.

Agreed about Loughry. I really enjoyed listening to that interview.

I try to say it often, because I really mean it, but I really appreciate you guys listening! So thanks for downloading/listening and thanks for the feedback!

• Like 2

I don't think we're trying to branch out and include non-Intellivision related material -- we aren't disallowing non-Inty talk, but I have no plans to make this podcast more general than it is. We wanted to interview someone in the UK to get a different perspective on the Inty, but we're also interested in talk about the early 1980s and the gaming scene at the time.

OK. I thought the interviewer made a comment at some point that it was okay for the podcast to branch out from Intellivision. But I'm glad to hear that you're not planning to do that intentionally.

Also wanted to thank you guys for the latest episode, never thought I would have the opportunity of listening to the programmer of one of my favorite Inty games (Treasure of Tarmin), also, the question about the prototype screens from Cloudy Mountain surprised me as I had asked the very same question to Keith Robinson not long ago. I'm curious about the current game by game approach, though, are you planning to contact Tom again once it's time to review another of his titles?

OK. I thought the interviewer made a comment at some point that it was okay for the podcast to branch out from Intellivision. But I'm glad to hear that you're not planning to do that intentionally.

Hey boxpressed. As always, your feedback is appreciated.

Being the interviewer in question... I may have intimated that I enjoy discussing other retro gaming consoles and systems (and collect for them as well - with a particular fondness for the Atari 8-bit and ST computers), but it's not my intention to broaden the scope of the show to include them.

I wasn't sure how much / how little Kieren would know about the Intellivision going in (nor was I aware of any controversy surrounding him). Perhaps we strayed a bit more from the Intellivision path than I had originally intended, but I enjoyed my conversation with him, and thought that our listeners would get something out of it (including our listeners on the other side of the pond), even when we talked more in generalities regarding the retro "era", and not specifically the Intellivision.

That said, perhaps we'll add an additional hour of pure Intellivision talk to the next episode to make up for it.

Thanks again for listening!

• Like 2

Also wanted to thank you guys for the latest episode, never thought I would have the opportunity of listening to the programmer of one of my favorite Inty games (Treasure of Tarmin), also, the question about the prototype screens from Cloudy Mountain surprised me as I had asked the very same question to Keith Robinson not long ago. I'm curious about the current game by game approach, though, are you planning to contact Tom again once it's time to review another of his titles?

Thanks, dcasa.

I have plans to talk to Tom again when we focus on his other games.

And when it comes to programmer interviews, in some cases, like with the Rick Levine / Microsurgeon interview, I still have unused audio from my interview with him where he talks more about Truckin' that I chose to keep out of the Microsurgeon episode.

It's tough doing these interviews, because while you hear maybe an hour of audio in the show, there may well be 1.5 - 2 hours of total audio which was gone through and edited. I try not to take up too much of their time, when they are gracious enough to talk to us. Believe me, I could've gone on talking to Tom for another 2 hours, but I had to be realistic about his time, and keep the option open to speak to him again in future episodes, without him having to worry about a 5 hour commitment.

Our intention with the show is to get interviews with as many programmers as will talk to us. Ideally, that will mean an interview for every show. Realistically, that's not always going to happen. Hopefully as time goes on, and the show gets more exposure, that will become easier to arrange. Certainly with Keith Robinson getting involved more now, it facilitates getting those interviews, since he's still in contact with so many of the alumni.

• Like 2

How about a 'listener rating option, where the listeners can gice some kind of score or rating to each episode?

or is it too much trouble?

We are always open to listener feedback and reviews (text or audio). And there's an open invitation to anyone here in the forums who wants to be interviewed about their Intellivision passion. Just let one of us know and we'll set it up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I just started listening to Episode 6 this morning and I find myself looping over the intro song, again! You're killing me, Nurmix! I need that extended disco mix of the intro to satisfy once and for all my cravings for 1980s Italo Disco Synth Pop. :lol:

At this pace, I'll never finish the podcasts.

I particularly like the bridge while George Plimpton talks about the processor, that's my DJ'ing youth right there. :)

-dZ.

OK, I just started listening to Episode 6 this morning and I find myself looping over the intro song, again! You're killing me, Nurmix! I need that extended disco mix of the intro to satisfy once and for all my cravings for 1980s Italo Disco Synth Pop. :lol:

At this pace, I'll never finish the podcasts.

I particularly like the bridge while George Plimpton talks about the processor, that's my DJ'ing youth right there. :)

-dZ.

Haha, thanks dZ. We actually discussed your desire for me to do the extended mix in the feedback segment of episode 7 - Baseball(s)...

So the "music only" episode ( http://intellivisionaries.com/intros-outros-music/ ) and the Christmas remix in episode 4 weren't enough for you?

:D

I promise, the extended mix of "The Intellivisionaries Theme" will be done before Classic Gaming Expo in September (possibly MUCH sooner). And more than likely, I will have an extended mix of "Treasured" (the outro tune) done by then as well.

Haha, thanks dZ. We actually discussed your desire for me to do the extended mix in the feedback segment of episode 7 - Baseball(s)...

So the "music only" episode ( http://intellivisionaries.com/intros-outros-music/ ) and the Christmas remix in episode 4 weren't enough for you?

:D

I promise, the extended mix of "The Intellivisionaries Theme" will be done before Classic Gaming Expo in September (possibly MUCH sooner). And more than likely, I will have an extended mix of "Treasured" (the outro tune) done by then as well.

Haha! I'll get to Episode 7 someday. :lol:

The song-only episode is cool, but it doesn't have the voice samples. I do keep meaning to fire up Logic Pro and remix it myself, but the. I remember all the other unfinished projects I have, and I just go play the intro of the podcast a few more times. :)

As for the Christmas edition, it was very well done, and very much a propos, but I still like the original best.

Keep it up!

dZ.