IGNORED

Why would I want to buy an Atari 5200?

saverofgames

Just a note, 7800 Robotron is awesome and it can use 2 ProLines but Atari Inc/Corp never released the coupler for it [paging Curt, do you have schematics or a prototype?] so either you lay the ProLines flat on a table - which I did back in the day - or you use 2600 joysticks with the 2600 coupler.

...or any other compatible joysticks.

I absolutely loved playing Robotron 7800 using two europads. Thought it worked absolutely like a charm, and honestly looked and played a bunch better than the 5200 version even with the coupler.

My reasons I love my 5200:

I just love its version of Pac-Man. Hard to explain precisely, but I love how it controls, the sounds, the colors, the look.

It has a wonderful version of Space Invaders. Differently colored and animated invaders, it's addictive and fun.

Moon Patrol. No 7800 Moon Patrol was made, 5200 version has excellent sound effects (especially the music!).

As previously mentioned by someone....the Dreadnaught Factor. Just love it. Wonderful game IMO.

And I love the big wedge of a system, it looks really cool. And for me, never mind the a8 thing, I don't want a computer, I do consoles. :)

• Like 1

I just got this in the mail today but Gyruss on the 5200 is awesome. Parker Bros did right with the game. It plays true to the arcade original. I love the arcade original and I truly hate both the [later] NES version and the Xbox Live version.

This version alone makes the 5200 a must have. That and Berzerk.

I love my 5200 - it's been my most-played classic console over the last 7-8 years. Never owned one back in the day.

1) I bought a rebuilt controller from Best and it's worked flawlessly for years. Once a year or so I have to adjust the internal pots in the 5200 to center everything, but that's all the maintenance I've ever done. 10 minutes once a year isn't too bad.

2) There are some really awesome unique titles like Space Dungeon that make the system worth owning. Homebrews like Adventure 2 are fantastic.

3) There are some really awesome ports that play well on the 5200 - Missile Command, Miner 2049er, Defender, River Raid, Pac Man, Berzerk, Star Raiders, etc.

4) It's fun an relatively inexpensive to collect for - lots of games are available for not too much. Only a handful are really pricey.

5) For the record, I think the XEGS is a great system, too. It'd be hard for me to choose between the two, but I do play the 5200 more. For whatever reason I don't have a lot of overlapping games on the two consoles. I like Pac Man & Missile Command better on the 5200, but I like Galaxian & Ms. Pac Man better on the A8. Really depends on the individual game.

• Like 2

I love my 5200 - it's been my most-played classic console over the last 7-8 years. Never owned one back in the day.

1) I bought a rebuilt controller from Best and it's worked flawlessly for years. Once a year or so I have to adjust the internal pots in the 5200 to center everything, but that's all the maintenance I've ever done. 10 minutes once a year isn't too bad.

2) There are some really awesome unique titles like Space Dungeon that make the system worth owning. Homebrews like Adventure 2 are fantastic.

3) There are some really awesome ports that play well on the 5200 - Missile Command, Miner 2049er, Defender, River Raid, Pac Man, Berzerk, Star Raiders, etc.

4) It's fun an relatively inexpensive to collect for - lots of games are available for not too much. Only a handful are really pricey.

5) For the record, I think the XEGS is a great system, too. It'd be hard for me to choose between the two, but I do play the 5200 more. For whatever reason I don't have a lot of overlapping games on the two consoles. I like Pac Man & Missile Command better on the 5200, but I like Galaxian & Ms. Pac Man better on the A8. Really depends on the individual game.

Sing it brotha!!!

I just put one on layaway at the local Pawn America. Had the box, trakball, 3rd party controller and 2600 controller thrown in. Its the crappy 4 port though. It was only $40! Picked up a few games at $1 each, nothing special.

Knowing its a hunk of crap, I think this is something to keep just to say I have one. Factory controller is "used" to be honest.

I just put one on layaway at the local Pawn America. Had the box, trakball, 3rd party controller and 2600 controller thrown in. Its the crappy 4 port though. It was only $40! Picked up a few games at $1 each, nothing special.

Knowing its a hunk of crap, I think this is something to keep just to say I have one. Factory controller is "used" to be honest.

That's a good price with the TrakBall and 3rd Party controller. And it's not a hunk of junk.

That's a good price with the TrakBall and 3rd Party controller. And it's not a hunk of junk.

We shall see. I didn't get a chance to test it yet.

The 5200 was one system where I actually said to myself, "I don't need one". But the price was so right and Id be kicking myself later for not grabbing it.

I figured why not? The switchbox alone goes for $30 on ebay. Maybe I can part it out if I don't like it.

I say get one... It's stylish, It's retro, and It's just plain cool. Get an AV modded one or buy one and have it modded. There are reputable people on this site that can do it at a good price. Make sure you buy a pair of refurbished controllers from Best Electronics. And if collecting actual carts isn't important, get an Atarimax SD cart so you can have all the games. Also... you will definitely want to invest in a Trak-Ball for some of the games that were made for it.

The worst thing about the system are the controller harnesses. The wiring is garbage, so you need to give TLC to them or they will fail... try not to bend them around too much. :) Same goes with the TB harness.

Having a worthwhile 5200 set up is a bit of an investment, but If you really love it for what it is... it wont matter. I'm all about aesthetics so my systems have to be in good to excellent shape... If your the same, try and get a unit that has very little scratches and minimal dings on the aluminum trim. Get a 4 port too if you can.

• 4 weeks later...

The 5200 is an awesome console. Contrary to popular beliefs, the 5200 is probably as close to having an arcade console in your home as one can get (not counting the SNK NEO*GEO...I don't even want to upset that console's fans). All seriousness aside, the 5200 has a few things going for it. It's sleek, cartridges are kid friendly, games are fun, and the 5200 showcases gaming history with its library of arcade ports. Some that never appeared on any other console.

I really recommend the 4-port for the simple reason that you don't have to worry about what games won't play on it like the 2-ports have. It's not all of them apparently but there are some games made for the 5200 that won't play on some 2-ports. If you end up with controllers that don't want to work right there are lots of people here that will point you in the right direction. Just keep in mind that the 5200 is over 30 years old. A system that has been neglected will most likely need a bath. If you get one, and before you do any cleaning, test the system out with a few games. Doing so will tell you the condition of the console and the controllers.

And while others are saying Best Electronics does rebuilds, don't forget about Video 61. Their rebuilds are cheaper at $25 per controller (you have to send in your controllers). Most of the time only the flex-circuits go bad (or have been destroyed by others not knowing what they were doing) which is not an expensive part by itself.

As for games on the 5200 my favorites are Qix (only perfect arcade port I know of), Defender, Moon Patrol, Berzerk (that game is fun but also very unforgiving), and I just got Tempest. Once you have a 5200 system that works flawlessly you will wonder why you lived without it ;)

On a side note ColecoVision is a good console in its own ways and has its own impressive library of games. But it got the games that Atari felt were not important. The controllers on that console are prone to issues too as I learned when I owned one. I no longer have a ColecoVision but my 5200 is still here. That should say something.

Having not read everything that's been said...

Yes, an A8 is an alternative, if it's just about playing the games. Many of the same games are there, they are nearly identical and you can use a regular 2600 controller for them.

In my Atari collection, the 5200 was my "holy grail," the last game system I had to acquire, and the last I found. Once when I went looking for a 5200, I found and came home with an XEGS - didn't even know what it was before I found it.

Don't let the now common, standard and tired cheap shots at the 5200 deter you from getting one. It is an attractive console - large, maybe, but only because it has the controller storage bin in the back. There is less wasted space inside a 5200 than a 2600.

The four-port switch box will not burn down your house, contrary to jokes about the "sparking" switchbox. The entire point of that setup is lost on modern gamers who have no sense of perspective to the times in which it was made. 4 port or 2 port? I say whichever you can find first. Just know what each needs.

The 5200 cartridges are as attractive as the system. They're not really large - the shell casing is slightly bigger than a 2600 cart, but the labels are the exact same size, just turned sideways. Really. For me, a big part of Atari gaming is using the real hardware - that's why multicarts and and emulators don't appeal to me - I want the real carts on the real hardware. The 5200 carts are just enjoyable to have and use.

The controllers are the biggest pain, and that's where the investment decision/hurdle rests. You either put a few bucks into solid rebuilds, and then maintain them, or go for an alternative.

Which takes us back to the beginning - don't want to deal with the controller issue, then get an A8.

By third-party controller, do you mean a Wico? If so, that's great - especially if the Y cable is with it. It's needed to hook up a standard 5200 controller for use of its function buttons.

I wouldn't say the 4 port is crappy. I don't get the hate for it just because of its switchbox. If it works - and mine does - then there's really no problem.

Games for a buck each is awesome.

Do you guys play with white gloves on LOL.

Those systems are so minty.

I bought my 5200's used. Very used. One of them I had to epoxy the controller door back together.

Not a joke - I have a 2 port system out that I pulled out of a trash can at a car wash.

Yeah, it has a new board from Best inside it, but you'd never know where it came from by looking at the case. Nothing broken, chipped or missing.

@Brian R. It is amazing what can be found in the trash. While it wasn't a game machine I found a full stereo (Montgomery Wards Phono, Cassette, 8-Track, AM/FM) in our apartment dumpster complete with speakers. I had to recondition the turntable, and I found a new stylus inside the unit, but it plays like a champ. Now I have an old-school radio to play Pac-Man Fever while I'm playing Pac-Man on my 5200 ;)

What Brian has stated about the 5200 controllers is spot on. Most 5200's I found in the wild during the late 1990's were in poor condition. Most of the issues were with the flex circuits inside. Some owners try to fix these controllers themselves, don't know what they are doing, realize taking it apart wasn't such a good idea, and end up destroying the flex circuit when all that would have been needed is some routine cleaning.

Hunk of junk? I wouldn't think so. It all boils down to how the previous owner took care of the system. The 5200 was made to be used regularly. Not using at all will do more harm than good. While the console can withstand months or years without using it the controllers simply can't. The need regular exercise to stay in good working condition. Clean the dust off of them at least once a month if not sooner and they will last you a long time.

Noob to this forum but long time lurker and Atari emulator. I had a 5200 in 1982 and an 8 bit 800XL later, and loved them both. With all the homebrews/hacks now, the 5200 library has never been larger. I regret ever having sold my 5200 and plan to get one again.

Also, I would like to see Espial and Flak (8 bit games) converted to 5200 roms.

Best wishes!