IGNORED

Why would I want to buy an Atari 5200?

saverofgames

Meet me at the Kong Off in Flemington so I can kick your ass phaggot. We'll see who the puss is.

I think someone needs to check themselves, making threats on a public forum on outdated videogames? Your opinion is so much more relevant now that you have exposed yourself as an idiot and homophobe...

• Like 2

The inference being that you'd want a 5200 on your lap? How friggen big is your lap???

I also don't buy the whole "there are games on the 5200 that aren't on the 8-bit computers. True, there's also a crap ton of games on the atari 8-bits that aren't on the 5200 and by a much larger margin.

However I've adopted a "to each their own" mentality on this issue because I've learned that one camp will never change the mind of the other.

That's not the inference. The inference is for the A8 to duplicate the multi button functionality of the 5200 controller, you'd have to have the A8 sitting in your lap so you can access the keyboard. Furthermore, that keyboard wouldn't be convenient for any other players unlike another working 5200 controller. Plus, you can acquire 5200 extension cords; a keyboard extension cord wouldn't work for an A8 keyboard other than for the XEGS.

Again, since the 5200 supports multi buttons, you can use PC controllers or other console controllers [such as Grips' NeoGeo modded arcade stick, which I do own one: it's awesome!] with mods and adapters...with A8, you can also do that for single fire button action.

Note: my original game system was a Light Sixer 2600 and as a kid, I later had a 7800, 1040ST, Lynx [i and II], Falcon, and a Jaguar. I acquired my 5200 in the mid 90s and I now also own a secondary 7800 and an 800XL.

Edited by Lynxpro

The 5200 sucks - makes a good dust collector in my house.

If you don't have a ColecoVision, buy that instead. There's a better library of games for the CV compared to the 5200.

Yeah, if you think Slither is better than Centipede and the Roller Controller is anything but a sad knock-off of Dan Kramer's awesome 5200 Trakball controller.

• Like 1

That's not the inference. The inference is for the A8 to duplicate the multi button functionality of the 5200 controller, you'd have to have the A8 sitting in your lap so you can access the keyboard. Furthermore, that keyboard wouldn't be convenient for any other players unlike another working 5200 controller. Plus, you can acquire 5200 extension cords; a keyboard extension cord wouldn't work for an A8 keyboard other than for the XEGS.

Again, since the 5200 supports multi buttons, you can use PC controllers or other console controllers [such as Grips' NeoGeo modded arcade stick, which I do own one: it's awesome!] with mods and adapters...with A8, you can also do that for single fire button action.

Note: my original game system was a Light Sixer 2600 and as a kid, I later had a 7800, 1040ST, Lynx [i and II], Falcon, and a Jaguar. I acquired my 5200 in the mid 90s and I now also own a secondary 7800 and an 800XL.

Having to buy all these add ons and controller alternatives (which are somewhat expensive) in order have even a decent game playing experience is not exactly endearing me to your point of view.

Having an A8 sitting in front of me and using the keyboard works just fine and I don't have to spend extra money on special controllers or macgyver a whole convoluted set up to play it. . There are no secondary people who play those games with me anyway so the keyboard issue is a non-factor for me.

What does this special neo geo controller cost? or the special wico stick, or the best replacements for stock controllers? The 5200 is a fickle mistress that I have neither the time or inclination to fart around with when I have a completely viable, complete, and in my opinion, better alternative right in front of me.

Edited by AtariLeaf

You should keep an eye out for one. Centipede is fantastic with it. So is Tempest.

There is a hack for the A8 that is 5200 Centipede and it can use the A8 trak ball.

It is also excellent, but the 5200 trak ball is a little better.

But the A8/2600 Trakball - both versions - aren't as good as the 5200 Trakball. And the kicker for the 2600/7800 versions is that the games themselves don't support the Trakball in Trakball mode. There are hacked editions via AtariAge though, both in cart and ROM versions...

Having to buy all these add ons and controller alternatives (which are somewhat expensive) in order have even a decent game playing experience is not exactly endearing me to your point of view.

Having an A8 sitting in front of me and using the keyboard works just fine and I don't have to spend extra money on special controllers or macgyver a whole convoluted set up to play it. . There are no secondary people who play those games with me anyway so the keyboard issue is a non-factor for me.

What does this special neo geo controller cost? or the special wico stick, or the best replacements for stock controllers? The 5200 is a fickle mistress that I have neither the time or inclination to fart around with when I have a completely viable, complete, and in my opinion, better alternative right in front of me.

This is a hobby and hobbies aren't cheap.

Speaking of the Jaguar - which I also love - I found a webpage a couple of weeks ago that the owner modded the standard Jaguar controller to work with the 5200. I've seen similar mods for the Colecovision as well.

The 5200 takes a lot of heat, much of it rightfully deserved, but the comparison to a temperamental sports car is pretty appropriate. Though I'd say a vintage sports car is probably the best analogy. I'll skip talking about the controllers, that horse has been whipped to death, but there are some great games on the system. It's been awhile since I've played mine, but Qix (a must have), Popeye, Kangaroo, Pole Position and Mario Bros. are all great versions. Also, I think they have the coolest looking cartridges of any retro system...not that that counts for much.

• Like 1

This is a hobby and hobbies aren't cheap.

I understand that, believe me. However since it is in fact, a hobby, the pain-in-the-ass/reward ratio has to balance and for me the 5200 skews too heavily to the pain-in-the-ass side of the scale. Especially since there is the A8 alternative. Now if the A8's didn't exist and the 5200 was the only way to play those games, I'd probably take the leap with the 5200. With the A8 available, I just see no compelling reason for the 5200.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the 5200 "sucks", it's just not for me. And with regards the car analogy I keep reading - I don't like tinkering with cars either, I find cars a huge pain in the ass to deal with too ;)

• Like 2

I sold these new way back when and have had one boxed up held back for myself for many many years, folks here got me interested, so I opened it, set it up, (4 port) bought an ultimate SD 5200 and an rebuilt stick from Best and a $160 neo geo joystick conversion from a member here (grips). I have to say, having been an A8 guy forever,that 5200 is somehow different, I really enjoy it and with people doing conversions from A8 the library is getting larger. So.. in answer to the question, yes, it's worth getting. Besides you need one for GTIA Blast!

Edited by atarian63
  • Like 1

I sold these new way back when and have had one boxed up held back for myself for many many years, folks here got me interested, so I opened it, set it up, (4 port) bought an ultimate SD 5200 and an rebuilt stick from Best and a $160 neo geo joystick conversion from a member here (grips). I have to say, having been an A8 guy forever,that 5200 is somehow different, I really enjoy it and with people doing conversions from A8 the library is getting larger. So.. in answer to the question, yes, it's worth getting. Besides you need one for GTIA Blast!

Holy crap :-o

I've only skimmed through the thread...whoever said the CV is better must be in Colorado and smoking LOTS of weed (EDIT...went back and read...vectorman aka ramerz. no surprise there). The CV is an AWESOME system, but it doesn't have the charm of the 5200, nor the graphics.

While it's true you could get an 800XL if you're just wanting a bevy of games, most of which you won't play that is. The 5200 library has the BEST ratio of great games vs stinkers. Also in comparison to the 800 series we have LOTS of converted games, in fact in the past 2 weeks we've seen about a dozen games converted.

About the controllers...don't listen to the people who tried them once or twice, couldn't adapt and gave up. the controllers are advanced and difficult to get used to. If you are even a HALFway decent gamer you'll adapt quickly. If not a little practice goes a long way. If you MUST use a lesser, previous generation controller like the 2600 stock, there are adapters. There are not, however adapters to have a true analog stick for play on an 800. I also noticed the "on your lap" bit. That stems from there being about 25% of games requiring 2 buttons and/or the keyboard/keypad. Try playing Defender on an 800. A game meant for three different button options and you have...ONE with the 800. So, you either keep the keyboard in your lap, or on the floor and use your toes. Yeah that's exciting. Not.

The 5200 Trak-Ball with Centipede is about as arcade perfect as you'll get for the era (back to the CV comparison, that track-ball is a pos, and the graphics on Centipede are an abortion!) Robotron? Absolutely NOTHING like it on the 5200 with the joystick coupler. Or Space Dungeon for that matter. I dare you to find a better baseball game than Realsports. The videogame critic even gave it an A, and he rarely gives the 5200 good reviews in ANYTHING because he plays the games for five minutes, sucks at the controls, and blames the controller for his poor gameplay.

As to durability, the system rarely craps out (no more or less than any system of its era I'd wager). The controllers are of course problematic. The problem is the fire button design. Rarely (if ever) will you see a broken stick. It's almost exclusively the fire button(s) and the start/pause/reset buttons. now, take it from one who was refered to as someone who's technical/repair skills were on par with a kid who couldn't tie his own shoe (VELCRO shoe!). It's a simple fix. If I can fix them and have that fix last years, anyone can.

Back to the games, most of the best ones can be had for a few bucks. Defender, PacMan, Robotron, Missile Command, RS Baseball, Ms. PacMan, Centipede, Mario Bros, Dig Dug....

A case could be made for any other of the systems of the era. You asked why you would want to buy a 5200. If you want a Pre-NES GAME system it really is the best one. Yes the 2600 is the king, but there is an adapter to play those games on the 5200. No such adapter for the 800, The Intellivision is a fun system but mediocre at best...Odyssey2? Meh. The Colecovision comes in 2nd, but it's a pretty distant second if you're looking for 80's quality home arcade games. I would also reccomend getting a CV, but if you had to choose one I'd go with the 5200. Hands down.

• Like 3

LOL!!!!!

**edited to clarify what's funny. I could give a shit about what collects dust in your house.

Don't mind ramerz. IIRC this is the guy that said he and his buddies traded entire *systems* in the 80's, and his friend wouldn't want to give back his CV system once he got it which he was stuck not playing anything because the 5200 was so "boring". I could be wrong on that one but the whole "phaggot" line makes me think of some young kid who wasn't even around in the 80's. I wonder if he even owns a 5200.

Just a note, 7800 Robotron is awesome and it can use 2 ProLines but Atari Inc/Corp never released the coupler for it [paging Curt, do you have schematics or a prototype?] so either you lay the ProLines flat on a table - which I did back in the day - or you use 2600 joysticks with the 2600 coupler. Neither option are as good as the 5200 controllers with the coupler for the 5200 version.

The 7800's graphics are better but the 5200 version has better sound.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

Just a note, 7800 Robotron is awesome and it can use 2 ProLines but Atari Inc/Corp never released the coupler for it [paging Curt, do you have schematics or a prototype?] so either you lay the ProLines flat on a table - which I did back in the day - or you use 2600 joysticks with the 2600 coupler. Neither option are as good as the 5200 controllers with the coupler for the 5200 version.

Space Dungeon and Robotron with coupler are reason enough to have a 5200!
  • Like 2

Yes this is true. I've used the 2600 controllers with the suction cups on the bottom (Wico I think?) side by side, as well as the little tiny "power stick" controllers. They're an "any port in a storm" kind of solution. Neither feels right though. Robotron always impressed me big time on the 5200. the amount of characters on the screen and the movement/crash detection were spot on (not to say the 7800 wasn't impressive). I don't think the sound on the 7800 is that bad at all (on Robotron at least). And while, yes it is graphically better, really it's not by much. Robotron to me (as well as Ballblazer) seem like two games where the 5200 was stretched to the best, while the 7800 versions were maybe thrown together quick. Slightly better in terms of graphics, but nothing all that impressive difference-wise.

• Like 1