IGNORED

TI994a A/V connector question

grownup

post-28955-0-55356200-1393471961_thumb.jpgI must say, I was very impressed with the quality of video this bulky, obsolete A/V box put out. But then one day, it just broke. I lightly tapped it, and the wire fell off! See the photo. So my question is, how should I fix this? Can I cut into the black wire and connect a gold connector from Radio Shack to the cut back wire, and throw away the box, or will I make matters worse? Im nost exactly sure how complicated it is inside that black wire. Maybe I should solder the thing back on. What do you techs suggest?

post-28955-0-86448400-1393471884_thumb.jpg

Edited by grownup

pop the lid open (gently) with a screwdriver

inside that cable is two wires, you can see them in the rounded part of the inner cable jacket, just strip a little bit, remove the broken section inside and solder down the freshly stripped wire.

should be cake, but that inner insulator is probably something nice n stretchy, I would clip the middle section out a little with a hobby knife or box cutter and try your darndest not to knick the wire inside the jacket as its probably solid wire, which will eventually lead to the same failure. (when they make something like that in a factory they use a pair of cut out blades that come from top and bottom and pull back all mechanically, its quite possible the wire was nicked the entire time and it just took this long to fail)

if you are feeling skippy you can reinforce stuff with hot melt glue, which should not be that hard to remove if future repairs are ever needed

Edited by Osgeld

What do you techs suggest?

You have three options, my suggestion is #3 if you have a few extra bucks to spare. It's also being actively supported.

1) Fix it, and have marginal video.

2) Get a composite cable and enjoy improved quality.

3) Go VGA (if you have a monitor or modern HDTV) and really enjoy the view with << THIS >>

Option #3 is what most people are going to now as they get 80 column capability and improved graphics in many programs, but above all the video is CRYSTAL CLEAR and sharp as hell. After running with the F18A (plug in update) the regular output looks like MUD to me.

pop the lid open (gently) with a screwdriver

inside that cable is two wires, you can see them in the rounded part of the inner cable jacket, just strip a little bit....

Thanks for your detailed, experienced information, Osgeld. I had no idea a screwdriver would pop that off like that. I fixed it and it works as good as new. Perhaps some day Ill upgrade to one of the other options people have nmentioned here, but for now, this was great.

• Like 1